Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: factory anti lag for USDM evo 9

factory anti lag for USDM evo 9

A couple of people on here knew my latest project....
    I normally would not post about a new install, as really that is not my thing...however.

I am so pleased with the result that I am going to claim this one.

As far as I know this is the only usdm evo (8 or 9) that has factory SAS or...we would like to call it street tuned anti lag (lol).Â* (oem parts with USDM ECU)

it took forever to get the parts, and a bunch of help from friends in japan and the UK.

Of course it took some brilliant tuning by a good friend of mine to get it all to work.

Here are some videos of it in action
    we wanted to through a test pipe on just for giggles...but didnt happen...result is with an Apexi HFC installed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdvEhPGtPDY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q76hVV4SlFk

It is mildly tuned, and since I dont have jdm 3 bar map sensor installed...I cant log boost to show the differece...regardless it is so much fun to drive.

Wide shot...

close up of pipe and banjo bolt

SAS valve mounted in the stock position above intake cam position sensor (all USDM evo's have these mounting points btw) Two 30mm M8 bolts holding it in.

upper IC with outlet to BOV and SAS valve

From the side...note how tight everything fits...I had to remove the stock outer cover of the battery to make it all fit...upper IC pipe rubs on battery now. I suppose USDM evos get screwed with the bigger battery

all the sensors are mounted underneath the air intake box.

Re: factory anti lag for USDM evo 9

sick! i like it, care to tell us the parts that you needed to get and install? i want to see ENGINE bay pics :D..
    <br />MadPowa - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ophrmr39VQI

i dont understand how antilag works.i hear tha bang-bang from it,other then that,in idiot language so i can understand,how does it work?i have read about it but i dont get it still

Quote Originally Posted by scumdog
    i dont understand how antilag works.i hear tha bang-bang from it,other then that,in idiot language so i can understand,how does it work?i have read about it but i dont get it still
    haha from what i know i thinkk anti lage lets in a little extra gas creating a bang to keep the turbo spooled inbetween shifts?

i could be wrong

Evolved

Quote Originally Posted by Evolutionized
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog
    haha from what i know i thinkk anti lage lets in a little extra gas creating a bang to keep the turbo spooled inbetween shifts?

i could be wrong
    When the driver lifts his foot from the gas pedal the ignition timing is altered with sometimes 40° or more of delay (retard) and the intake air and fuel supply mixture is made richer. The inlet butterfly is kept slightly open or an air injector, bypassing the inlet butterfly, is used to maintain air supply to the engine. This results in air/fuel mixture that keeps getting in the combustion chambers when the driver no longer accelerates. The ignition being severely delayed, the air/fuel mixture reaches the exhaust tubes mostly unburned. When the spark plug fires, the exhaust valve is starting to open due to the ignition delay mentioned above. Additionally, the exhaust temperature being extremely high, the unburned fuel explodes at the contact of the exhaust tubes. Luckily the turbo sits right there and the explosion keeps it turning (otherwise it would slow down since its intake, the exhaust gases, is cut-off). The effect is vastly lower response times with some downsides:

A quick rise of the turbocharger's temperature (which jumps from ~800°C to the 1100°C+ region) whenever the system is activated
    A huge stress on the exhaust manifold and pipes (mounted on a street car a bang-bang system would destroy the exhaust system within 50-100 km)
    The turbo produces significant boost even at engine idle speeds
    The explosions which occur in the exhaust tubes generate important flames which can, sometimes, be seen at the end of the exhaust tube
    Reduced engine brake
    The ALS effect is mostly dependent on the quantity of air allowed into the engine, the more air supplied the more the ALS effect will be noticeable. Consequently ALS systems can be more or less aggressive. A mild ALS will maintain a 0 to 0.3 bar pressure in the inlet manifold when activated whereas, when inactive, the pressure in the inlet manifold with the throttle closed would be in the region of -1 bar (absolute vacuum). Racing ALS versions can maintain a pressure of up to 1.5 bar in the inlet manifold with the throttle closed.
    While the systems mounted in Toyota and Mitsubishi racing cars are relatively smooth and noiseless those fitted in Ford and Subaru cars are much more noisy and aggressive.
    The bang-bang system owns its name to the loud explosion noises one hears whenever the driver lifts off. Most racing implementations have user selectable anti-lag settings depending on the terrain, usually three settings can be selected by the driver going from mild to very aggressive.

Note that some regional or national European events prohibit the use of ALS systems while more and more WRC events regulate the noise levels allowed by competition cars effectively disabling ALS.

Starting in 2002 new anti-lag techniques, such as Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR), are slowly overtaking the method described above as they are kinder on the engine's mechanical parts.

from http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/bangbang.html

that is a good way of explaining it if you ask me.

parts off the top of my head
    Evo 7 exhaust manifold (any manifold with the banjo holes would work though)
    two banjo bolts (drilled out)
    one evo 9 sas pipe (Secondary air system in the manual)
    one sas valve
    one SAS sensor
    one resevoir tank for SAS sensor
    one upper IC pipe (any jdm/ukdm upper IC pipe with the SAS outlet would work)
    one sweet ass custom made autozone heater hoze connecting upper IC pipe to sas valve.
    Pin for ecu pin 4 (SAS sensor)

ECU flash
    Ill post some pics...but my engine is stockish except for the upper IC pipe from trust.

thats sick i want anti lag
    &lt;img src=&quot;http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a85/elkeekerdude/RALLInspired.png&quot; alt=&quot;&quot; width=&quot;200&quot; height=&quot;40&quot; border=&quot;0&quot; /&gt;

thanks...I am stoked how it turned out

Cars
    Too Many!

what is your main reason for using the anti-lag system?

I am re-installing guages now...I just want to see if it holds boost on throttle lift.
    Map switch will also be put in...this will enable me to run much more aggressive sas/als

on another note...I have always been interested with it. Since it comes stock on JDM and UKDM models (fq260 excluded)

Glad to hear it is up and running on your car! Can't wait for my ride!
    Hmmm.. So if I never mod/ track my Evo, I shouldnt own it? Well, my reasons for an Evo purchase dont have to match yours.<br /><br />-Chirico<br /><br />Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and Im not sure about the former. <br /><br />-Einstein

what parts of your exhaust does it ruin? manifold?

it can ruin a lot of stuff actually. lots and lots of heat kills the manifold, turbo, his HFC probably isnt too happy lol

for example a while back this was a huge thread on evom and a bunch of guys myself included just made or ign timing -10 on lift off which gave us the bang bang noise and i was happy with that lol my egts were fine etc. but the force from it rattle bolts loose and it got annoying after a while because i'd look under my hood and miss half my damn manifold bolts lol and yes i torque them down to spec and everything. that was on my red evo so idk its cool and everything but for a street car idk if its really necessary

yea well aware of what it can do....so it is really not that aggressive at all
    current settings

If I am above the below
    above 30kph
    above 3000 RPM
    about 30% throttle

about 1.5s of air injection is given on throttle lift.
    along with some timing

I will throw the good ol tp on soon

you got it Neil, just let me throw the map switch on...should this week

it isnt necessary, but the beauty is it comes stock pretty much on non usdm cars.Â* We drive a rally car after all, why not get it it to go with the oem parts...?
    just a really good project learned a lot about how cheap mitsubishi really is and how on the US models we get the worst of it.

Dude, nice job mike. I'd like to check this out. Think I could get a ride :)
    Forum Nazi-mods blocked my PM box for no apparent reason, email me:<br />[email protected]<br /><br />My Blog<br /><br />&#039;official&#039; Fanboi of GM cars and LooneyReeseGSTdr.GRAYself tuning (or just tuning in general)

thanks Mike,
    yea sure thing. you still have my number? shoot me a PM if you dont.
    I was wondering when you would find this one

those two video's did not prove much to me. Get a louder tbe and we'll all see that u have an anti-lag.

doesn't anti-lag kill the turbo quiker? I heard that it does.

Quote Originally Posted by ebmaster
    doesn't anti-lag kill the turbo quiker? I heard that it does.
    its possible with the extreme heat the ALS causes..Â* but you gotta pay to play so just suck it up! :P

edit : hehe... :D

But honestly, I think it shouldn't do too much harm cause old Evos used to come standard with them, although I could also be wrong because I do not own one nor have I been in one. That brings me to another thing I want to ask the OP..

HEY CAN I RIDE IN YOUR CAR!? :D
    <br />MadPowa - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ophrmr39VQI

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast