Thread: Oil change

Cars
    Evo x and Honda ek

Oil change

I just purchased my 14 evo x and it time to change the oil. I did my research but it seems like everybody has different taste in there oils. What's a high quality oil for the evo x ? Would 10w-30 be good?

Cars
    2013 Evo X, 2009 CBR600RR
    I use mobil 1 10w30, as long as you do ur service at the right intervals u will be fine, once u track ur car alot and or have a built motor things change
    LoOnEy TuNeD
    Instagram @600rrevox

Cars
    2011 BMW 328i, 1966 Ford Mustang 302, 2014 EVO X GSR
    I also use Mobil 1' seems good enough for me

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    2014 evo x
    I switch between 0-40w and 10-40w mobil 1

Experienced
    Cars
    2011 Evolution X GSR
    Amsoil signature series 5w30 feels good in my car.

Cars
    92 GST , 08 GSR
    On my previous oil change i used 5w30 edge syntec saw leaks seeping through the oil pan. switched over to the 5w40 leaks dried up. Castrol Edge Syntec also came out with 5w50 which I'm curious to look into when the ride is back and running.

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    Wicked White Evo X GSR
    I did my first oil change today.. used mobil 1 5w-30 as the manual says.. thought about using amsoil.. but it was too pricy.. thought about royal purple.. ppl had some bad experience with it.. ended up buying the mobil 1 lol
    I used the same oil with stage 2 sti before and had no problem.. i think as long as you check your oil level and dont redline your car.. you will be fine..

maybe ill use amsoil next time.. till then mobil 1 will do for me :)

Mobil 1 here!

Experienced
    Cars
    03 evo 8.5

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyevox View Post
    I just purchased my 14 evo x and it time to change the oil. I did my research but it seems like everybody has different taste in there oils. What's a high quality oil for the evo x ? Would 10w-30 be good?
    • The reason you cannot use different oils is due the zinc content in the oil. The extra zinc over time clogs the catalytic convertor and I am not sure about the rest of the emissions system?

• Built motors need more zinc for longevity of the motor! I am running Motul 300V 15/50 in my new built 2.2 as recommended by the builder. It is really pricey, but so was my motor build! As the miles get put on, I will probably switch to Brad Penn 20/50 and 10/30 in the winter.

• I would think that the extra zinc would help longevity of a stock dd too, but many people to not consider the evolution a stock dd. Mobil 1 oil does not have as much zinc in it because it is passenger car safe oil. The evolution could use this extra zinc in oils such as Motul and Brad Penn.

• I am going to put Brad Penn FSGF 5/30 in my gf's 10' Nissan Sentra next oil change.

Oil is preference but here is a good read as a start:
    http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...otor%20Oil.pdf

Cars
    2011 AS Evo X Gsr
    Quote Originally Posted by openmynd11 View Post
    Amsoil signature series 5w30 feels good in my car.
    Amsoil is amazing!