Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post Count +1

Post Count +1

Hello SocalEvo people,

Long time member who preferred to ghost because I don't own an Evo.

I own a Dodge Stealth RT Turbo (a few actually lol).

I occasionally come on here to look for parts. Its been awhile since my last visit.

Thank you for your time and have a nice day.

-cho

*This was originally started in the Newbie section and has been moved to Other Cars..*
    Last edited by cho640; 08-04-2014 at 11:39 AM.
    I'm a wreck-less driver..

Here is my 1995 Dodge Stealth RT Turbo. I bought it a few years ago with 87k miles on it with the intention of keeping it as a bone stock daily driver while I rebuilt my 1994 Dodge Stealth RT Turbo with a twin EvoIII 16G setup on it.

My first visit to Fontana bone stock with a rather large boost leak. Needless to say.. I was a bit rusty. Lol.
    http://s240.photobucket.com/user/wee...ml?sort=3&o=67 (video)

Went down to get my baseline at the closest AWD dyno.

I'll add a little bit about the next phase it went through a little later..

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    are you thinking of eventually getting an Evo? I also came from a 3/S before, and it seemed like the next logical step = get a discontinued turbo AWD Mitsubishi lol

Sportback Evolution MR

I believe you owned a 3000GT though.. Lol.

I've driven a few Evos and while fun, the short gearing kills me. I drive almost 100 mile commute every day and cruising at 2.35k @80 is a lot better than 3.5k-4k in my opinion.

If I were to buy an Evo, I would possibly consider the station wagon but not a huge fan of the aluminum block. And as you mentioned, the discontinued aspect means parts will slowly become more scarce and expensive as people buy out Mitsubishi's stock and charge whatever they want for it. Lol.

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    Quote Originally Posted by cho640 View Post
    I believe you owned a 3000GT though.. Lol.

I've driven a few Evos and while fun, the short gearing kills me. I drive almost 100 mile commute every day and cruising at 2.35k @80 is a lot better than 3.5k-4k in my opinion.

If I were to buy an Evo, I would possibly consider the station wagon but not a huge fan of the aluminum block. And as you mentioned, the discontinued aspect means parts will slowly become more scarce and expensive as people buy out Mitsubishi's stock and charge whatever they want for it. Lol.
    yeah. I had a base (DOHC NA) 95. didn't get the VR4 since there was none available.

the wagon was only available on the IX overseas. the wagon here stateside is only the Ralliart, which was already discontinued (only available as a 4-door). would be nice to have an Evo IX wagon.

Sportback Evolution MR

Phase 2: BPU

Literally right after the dyno, I drove down to a local exhaust shop.

Time to see how much these mods helped.. I attended the next Street Legals at Fontana. I got there at 5:30 am and waited for tech to open. I luckily got into the line with this super Nazi tech inspector. I was wondering why it was the shortest line.. Lol. I didn't get my first run til almost 10:30am. 2nd run was at 12:30. At this point I was kicked off the track for not having a helmet. I honestly believe that if I ran earlier in the morning when it was cooler or if it was a night event, I would of easily dropped sub 13.5 as stock intercoolers suck. #3879

Unfortunately this was the last event at Fontana before it shut down because of the sound ordinance. So I had to start going to Irwindale..

New baseline runs stock except exhaust #2227

Yeah the 2015 Wagon. It does look snazzier than the JDM only 8/9 version but block isn't made for power. Sleeving is just another to add to cost.. Lol.

I forgot to mention that by this point, I've decided I was going to show the young bucks how to properly mod one of these cars. I was soo tired of people buying these old, worn down cars and don't do any maintenance on them. They have no idea what they're doing but just throw on a set of turbos and complain when their car goes down or kaboom. Unfortunately for my platform, its pretty hard and expensive to break into the 400AWHP range while Evo owners can easily do it with bolt ons and e85 or larger turbo..

Borrowed some goodies from the twin 16G car..

And bought a Boomslang harness to make it nice and clean install. Well till I found out that Boomslang wired their preset wired kits wrong and I had to redo it. Lol.

Threw on a MAF Translator as well with a 3" GM LT1 MAF setup in blowthrough. Since I was trying to keep costs down for this experiment, I just hacked up my $15 used Ebay Y pipe. And I also ended up installing my Blitz DSBC electronic boost controller as well.

Lets see how things stack up now..

91 Octane Tune. Stock 360cc Injectors are MAXXED OUT. I also bumped up fuel pressure from 43.5psi to 53psi to give me roughly 400cc worth of injector and it dropped my IDCs into the mid 90s. Lol. If I had gone with slightly larger injectors such as 450cc or 550cc, would of saw a bump in timing which would equate to more power.

100 Octane Tune - Same scenario. Honestly believe I could of broken the 350/350 range if I had larger injectors.

At this point I've been able to consistently run 8.3 at Irwindale.. IF I find a photo of it, I'll add it. If not, going to have to take my word. Lol.

Phase 3: Upgrades

Installed these awhile ago but forgot to post up.

Installed these as well.. TD04 billet turbos with a titanium aluminum exhaust wheel

Some goodies for later.. Billet End Case + Billet Shift Forks

Cars
    EVO X MR
    Nice build man, clean ride

Quote Originally Posted by chinoxmk22 View Post
    Nice build man, clean ride
    Thank you. I'll be adding some more to this thread later.

Practice Lol.

The stock brakes work amazing ONE TIME. So I decided to change a couple things up and ordered StopTech big brake kit on all 4 ends. Unfortunately the stock rims wouldn’t fit over them so I had to borrow the set of GramLights from my other car.

Originally was planning to go with some Ohlins tuned by Mueller but they don’t make them for my car. I do have some EVO suspension adapters but decided to hold off when my quoted price of $4000 raised almost a grand because I didn’t respond within the 30-60 days that the estimate was good for. So intead.. lol.

I'll be adding more to this thread by next week at latest. I'll be out of town to participate in a Color Run up in Sacramento. Enjoy your weekend everyone. : ]

*Edit* Lol totally thought it was Friday.. Lol. Maybe tomorrow.. If not, Monday.

Nice build man. Any plans to take it back to Fontana? I believe it's open again. Your 1/8th mile time has dropped significantly should get a nice time in the 1/4.

Thank you very much. Yes Fontana is back open.

I have a few more updates to get you guys to where the car sits right now. Fontana is definitely in the plans but got to get through a couple hurdles first. Lol.

Here's a video of my car on pump gas 18psi 4th gear. Sorry quality isn't that good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Zbr...bEtyoekW5SC-TA

I no longer have access to this Youtube account because of some legacy account bs.

Phase 4: E85
    For those of you who run E85, you know this to be true.. Lol.

Time to see what all the fuss is about..

Literally 2 days later.. I was at Irwindale doing some runs. Everyone knows that the right lane always turns off first regardless who's in front. Slow down and wait for the civic to start his turn and I follow. Unfortunately he stops his black car right 85% of the way through the U turn and shuts it off cause of issues with no emergency lights. Since its poorly lit and visibility wasn't too great.. Didn't see him till it was too late.

Time for MORE POWER! Went from 660cc to 880cc injectors. Ironically the 660cc injectors with e85 made the same if not less power than on pump. Lol.

Whoops.. Lol

Attending my buddy's bolt-on pump/e85 tune at RRE.

Oh SNAP! First sub 8 second 1/8th.. Great start to the night. : ]

And crappy ending.. I forgot what the issue was. Think something was blowing off or something.. Lol.

More practice..

And FINALLY things were starting to look good.. #4037

Random picture of the car before I went back to side mount setup.. Front mount was causing surge issues.

Phase 5: Rabbit Run

Me and some of the boys decided to go out and have some fun..

So while we were out there.. I decided to try the infamous J turn technique. Google if you're unsure of what it is.. After pimping it like 7-8 times in a row.. I was pumped. Someone told me to get it on video and offered to record it. Right before I started, he informed me that I better not Fu*k up because they have video proof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4jw...SzfBFC2lqNJQLQ

And with that.. tranny was game over.

Limped home and swapped in a spare I had.. Except it didn't have reverse.. So I drove/raced around like that for almost a year. HEY.. Parts aren't cheap for a 20 year old German transmission made for a Japanese car labeled as American. Lol. So I was at Irwindale raping a lot of slow cars when a corvette and me line up. I'll let the video speak for itself.. Haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCm7...SzfBFC2lqNJQLQ

For those who weren't able to figure it out, I overshot the staging lights and had to push it back. Unfortunately the corvette didn't want to wait around for me. Lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast