Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car won't start, please help!!

Car won't start, please help!!

Hi all, its been ages (4-6 years) since i started my Evo 8, now its not starting..... Finally after trouble shooting it I got it to start here are some of the things that you might run into and what are the solutions to check if they work.

All fluids has been drained/changed Engine, Tranny, Transfer, Diff, and Gas.

1. Battery - No. If yes, solution to test: attached to a jumper cable to a car that is running. Not the starter, the car cranks.
    2. ECU issue - No
    3. Fuses - No. If yes, solution to test: check all fuses under the hood and under behind the the cabin.
    4. Fuel Pump - YES. If yes, solution to test: when turn the car to start position you should hear a click from the fuel pump. Might need help opening the gas cap and have someone listen in.
    5. Fuel pump relays - No. If yes, solution to test: pull out the relay in the cable 1 and 2, and also 3 on the firewall on passenger side test it using a multimeter. You should get 2-3 ohms, relay 3 on the firewall is different you have to test on different pins. Or turn the key to start position you should feel it click.
    6. Fuel pressure - No. If yes, solution to test: attaching fuel pressure gauge to fuel line and crank to see if you have pressure.
    7. Fuel line clogged - No. If yes, solution to test: unplug the hose on the fuel return line, attach a long hose to it, crank it and you should see fuel coming out of the end of the line.
    8. Injectors - YES If yes, solution to test: 1. Test for resistance using a multimeter, you should get between 2-3 ohms. 2. Putting on a different set to see if they are clogged or put power to it see if you hear it working.
    9. MFI Relays - No. If yes, solution to test: pull out the relay under the hood test it using a multimeter. You should get 2-3 ohms. Or turn the key to start position you should feel it click.
    10. Spark - No. If yes, solution to test: put some Aerosol starter spray into the IC pipes, start the car or take out a spark plug wire put a spark plug in it put it near metal crank engine should see spark.
    11. Timing, Crank, Cam Angle sensors - No. Timing: even if your timing is off by a lot your car should start, but with super bad idle. With Crank and Cam Angle sensors your engine will not start if it is broken, to test it use multimeter to test for ohms.

The problem for the car not starting for my situation was Fuel. Gas had eaten up the fuel pump and filter, I saw physical damages, had it replaced. Injectors was clogged, but after I tested for the resistance, did not test for flow. If I had tested for flow then car would of started a week ago....

Thanks to everyone for giving me different ideas to test, thanks to Charles for helping, and RRE insisting for me to test the injectors!
    Last edited by 500whp; 09-23-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Had a similar issue on my Nissan once. Did you check the fuel filter?
    Jesse Sez: If you're ever in a midget-tossing contest, always go for the happy midget. It is definitely much harder to toss them when they're unhappy

Pulled the entire fuel assembly out, changed the pump, filter, and make sure the hoses are good to go.

Cars
    Dodrio
    Try and see if fuel is reaching the fuel rail, probably with a fuel pressure gauge or pull the hose and see if it shoots out fuel.

Waka waka - I'm a slowpoke
    Doc Mosh #1 fan boy

Quote Originally Posted by kambodianboi View Post
    Try and see if fuel is reaching the fuel rail, probably with a fuel pressure gauge or pull the hose and see if it shoots out fuel.
    I gotta try that, if there's fuel in the rails, then theres pressure and the fuel is reaching.... Thanks

Junior Moderator

Cars
    Evo 8/9
    Pictures on all for sale/for trade threads is being enforced!

Do you have shitty 4 to 6 year old gas in the tank? I don't believe it would start with that old gas in it. You never stated so I'm just asking FWIW.

Never mind saw that you changed it after rereading.

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    Evo IX, 91 eclipse gsx, and other commuters...
    He is actually having the motor crank but it will not start. Sounds like the injectors maybe bad/clogged. If you have a test light you can check to see if the injectors are getting power, the light will flash when trying to start. Good luck man.

Quote Originally Posted by evobros View Post
    Thanks, but the car cranks, and it starts w/ the Aerosol starting fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwrdby4g63 View Post
    He is actually having the motor crank but it will not start. Sounds like the injectors maybe bad/clogged. If you have a test light you can check to see if the injectors are getting power, the light will flash when trying to start. Good luck man.
    Yea, I'm planning to pull the fuel rails, and injectors today to see if there's fuel (I think there should be since there's fuel pressure off the FRP which is at the other end of the rails) and also check the injector resistors, and injectors.

I pulled 2 codes on the car, both are P0107 which is Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance Problem. The barometric circuit that is attached to the OE intake pipe, its off on my car I have stand alone HKS F-con.... Will that prevent the car from starting?

Canyon Racer
    Welcome back Jeff!
    KT Motoring
    10149 Canoga Avenue, Unit I
    Chatsworth, CA 91311
    (747) 224-0237

Quote Originally Posted by KT Motoring View Post
    Welcome back Jeff!
    Thx, not back yet.....

Quote Originally Posted by 500whp View Post
    I pulled 2 codes on the car, both are P0107 which is Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance Problem. The barometric circuit that is attached to the OE intake pipe, its off on my car I have stand alone HKS F-con.... Will that prevent the car from starting?
    Not the code, I plug it in and the car had no more codes, car still did not start....

Cars
    evo9(sold), evo 8(sold), 2014 evo x gsr, 2012 evo x mr
    Check the injector resistor box on the firewall. When my plug came out the car would start for 1 second then die... It would only stay running with the maf unplugged, but ran like shit. I checked literally everything related to spark and fueling to find the plug was loose.

If you've got it down to fuel so here's the route I'd check (starting at the tank and working towards combustion chamber):

Fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Pull off the return line and hook up some extra tubing into a gas can. See if it squirts out.
    Injectors. Check the resistor packs. A simple ohm-meter for this test.
    Injectors. Pull them out and get them flow tested to make sure they are spraying correctly.

Have you checked timing?
    '03 BBY VIII GSR (The Blue Bomber) Corn Fed + some
    '10 WW X MR (Her car) "RRE Super Stock"

Quote Originally Posted by one4 View Post
    Check the injector resistor box on the firewall. When my plug came out the car would start for 1 second then die... It would only stay running with the maf unplugged, but ran like shit. I checked literally everything related to spark and fueling to find the plug was loose.
    The MFI Relay is good to go =(

Quote Originally Posted by M4Lki3r View Post
    If you've got it down to fuel so here's the route I'd check (starting at the tank and working towards combustion chamber):

Fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Pull off the return line and hook up some extra tubing into a gas can. See if it squirts out.
    Injectors. Check the resistor packs. A simple ohm-meter for this test.
    Injectors. Pull them out and get them flow tested to make sure they are spraying correctly.

Have you checked timing?

Have fuel pressure, the MFI relay works, haven't pull injectors yet.

Its not timing for sure, since the car was working perfectly the last time it was on. I'm assuming that timing doesn't change if you don't mess w/ it..

Anyone live close to Hacienda Heights? I think i found the problem, but I need someones Fuel Pump Relate next to the firewall to test it out.

Quick update.

pulled injectors, they r all good. Injector plug's resistance are good. Plugged a line to the fuel return line, cranked the engine, see lots of fuel. Swapped out to oe ecu and it didn't start.

shit out of ideas.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast