Thread: New Smog method!! (Only OBDII scan/visual!!)

New Smog method!! (Only OBDII scan/visual!!)

So I was late getting my smog since I was so concerned about my mods, only to find that there is no sniffer! Some stations are switching to this new method and the one I went to was one of them. I was literally in and out in about 10 minutes (that includes him pulling my car in and out). They check for the stock cat (had my stock cat/exhaust on), and plugged in the OBDII scanner to check for check engine lights. I run a Greddy Comp TiC full 80mm turbo back/cat delete sometimes, as well as a Skunk2 IM/TB/Fuel Rail combo. I run some other mods that aren't important, but do your research to understand why I am able to run all of these w/o CEL.

The technician mentioned that everything is done digitally through the web. OBD scan communicates with the dmv, so if it's clear, that's how the dmv sees it. If you can find one of these stations, you may have better luck. Just a heads up. YMMV

BTW I have a stock catback if anyone is interested. I just need to get rid of it

So did all stations switch over or is it just some? Are they still able to run a pre-test?

Address of said place

Cars
    WW EVO MR
    Quote Originally Posted by drifthobo View Post
    Address of said place
    X2 would also like to know

Cars
    Evo VIII
    Call up a smog shop and simply ask if they are still on the tail pipe sniffer.

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    Evo IX / BMW M6
    I feel like I am in the future right now because that is old news to me here in vegas.. Been doing it for like 10 years that way. lol

Cars
    WW X 11 "RRE special", C6 z06, 2013 outlander sport
    Glad that Cali is taking a different approach for smog checks.
    This is great news, I think lol.
    ''Yo, a$$G@@! This motherfucka's dead! Ain't no Chris Angel Mind freak, David Blaine trapdoor horseshit jumpin' off here!''

Cars
    2003 WW Evo VIII 2.4l
    Tephra Modded ECU flash with custom tune, fully built 2.4l engine, 1000cc injectors, 272 cams, ported head.. forced OBD-II pass patch... just passed smog with all that at a star certified station as I'm selling my car, you can see the thread over on EvoM(forgive the shameless plug), but I thought I'd share since I know a lot of people are worried about DMV checking rom id's etc... doesn't seem to be the case right now. This was in central California btw.

Quote Originally Posted by FresnoEvo View Post
    Tephra Modded ECU flash with custom tune, fully built 2.4l engine, 1000cc injectors, 272 cams, ported head.. forced OBD-II pass patch... just passed smog with all that at a star certified station as I'm selling my car, you can see the thread over on EvoM(forgive the shameless plug), but I thought I'd share since I know a lot of people are worried about DMV checking rom id's etc... doesn't seem to be the case right now. This was in central California btw.
    First post and you r here to pretty much sale your car...mod please Ban this person
    = for all your needs call Alfred@TTech -909-783-1200

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    EVO IX GSR WW
    It's not a hard as people think when smogging EVO's. I did have to go through with a sniffer, but a EGR with no hoses hooked up and a Intake with no MAF, along with E85 coming out the tail pipe. If they are truly moving to just an OBDII reading, this would be great news.

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    ^ This new smog method is for real. It's just taking some time for all the smog stations to transition to the new system and it's also behind schedule.

See page 6: http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/pdf/Smog...l_ENG_2013.pdf

Also this: http://www.arb.ca.gov/newsrel/newsrelease.php?id=355

And if you really love reading about this stuff: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/smogche...bd_only_im.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by FresnoEvo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Evo Beauty View Post
    First post and you r here to pretty much sale your car...mod please Ban this person
    It sounded to me like he had to smog his car so he could sell it, and was just letting us know that he passed with a heavily modded engine and modded ecu. He plugged but didn't link or post any thread here. No harm done if you ask me. I feel you though Black Evo, lots of new guys on here just come on and shit up the forum resurrecting old threads or irrelevant posts just to get there post count up for the FS section. I'm not a fan either.

He posted on evom also. He's not trying to sell anything, only trying to pass on info on passing his car through smog. The new test may be great if you don't have any CEL on in your car, but if you do you either have to fix the problem or find a way to shut the code off. It would be helpful if people would post locations of smog places that are still doing it the old way. That way they could choose which way to smog their car before everyone switches over to the obd testing.

Good to know. Now I have to figure out what mods will work :)

It's called the DAD were all supposed to switch over to it in 2015 but it keeps getting prolonged due to bugs and errors. I'm suprised the tech passed you on the modified fuel stuff but sometimes you just get lucky and find someone who doesn't give a crap. This new form of smogging a car will apply to all vehicles 2000+