Thread: rear sway bar

Cars
    04 Apex silver EVO

rear sway bar

so im sure this has been talked about but,

what are your guys thought on a rear sway bar for the evo?
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Ben Franklin

There is no normal life, there is just life.- Doc Holiday.

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    Discussed many times. However i have not been around to participate, so i'm down.

I guess my thoughts on it are as follows:
    It is best to look at the suspension as a group of parts working together. Taking tires, bushings, dampers and chassis stiffness (the chassis is a big spring in and of itself) into account in addition to the sway bars. It can be valuable regardless of whether or not you are street driving, or track or both. Value for the street is mainly driving fun and safety. Careless setup can result in a sketchy car.

I have seen some of the pros replace only the rear sway bar, while others replace both. I believe this supports the original theory, that you have to look at all the variables and how they work together.

edit:

P.S.- my own strategy at this point is in the works. My car is stock. Near future modifications will be limited to swapping in a set of low mileage MR dampers. No additional chassis bracing, stock bushings, stock weight, tires with similar grip to A046. Given these, i am interested in a mild RSB to make the car slightly more neutral without sacrificing overall grip. I don't know which RSB that would be, but to be honest i haven't really looked much, as i'm taking my time and enjoying the journey.

Cars
    04 Apex silver EVO
    ya looks like ill wait a while
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Ben Franklin

There is no normal life, there is just life.- Doc Holiday.

Experienced
    Cars
    The Doctor - Knuckles
    Gilbert@massimopower could help you with that answer...
    '85 Ur-Quattro (under restoration), '86 951 (sold), '87 928S4 (for sale), '89 930 (under restoration), '99 Wicked Edelbrocked T/A LS-1 (sold), '01 S4 (RIP), '02 Allroad (RIP), '07 WRX STi (Up North), '95 S14 RB26 (project sold), Heartbeat of America lol, Sprint Horses, Endurance Horses, Raging Bulls, and a little 'Bird that I call Tweety...and best of all, an Evo...

Cars
    Evo IX MR - 2G Eclipse GST -3G Eclipse (Sold)
    I heard about rear could benefit if you are an experienced driver and proper suspension tuning. For the front a read about leave it, but may use a 3 position braket and adjustable linker. I bought one rear sway bar, but not yet installed (over a year ago). So I think is better for the money to get properly alignment (evo experienced shop) than rear sway bar alone

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    EVO IX GSR WW
    The rear can help rotate the car along with a good alignment, it depends on how much your under steering is.

For fastest track/autox times get a fsb if you're doing rear. The front rolls too much, which causes the rear to roll. Even with a stock bar, the rear inside wheel will pick up, thereby dog-legging you in a turn. You can feel/hear this as when the tire touches back down, the diff gets smacked, which is the "bang" you're experiencing.

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    Quote Originally Posted by stockIX View Post
    For fastest track/autox times get a fsb if you're doing rear.
    Not true. Totally depends on the rest of the setup. There are other ways to mitigate roll, reduce understeer, whatever. Not saying that a FSB is not a good idea. I'm just saying there are too many variables here, and everything needs to be taken into account if you are giving maximum fucks, i.e. your paycheck depends on a lap time.

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    Evo IX, 91 eclipse gsx, and other commuters...
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Hunter View Post
    Not true. Totally depends on the rest of the setup. There are other ways to mitigate roll, reduce understeer, whatever. Not saying that a FSB is not a good idea. I'm just saying there are too many variables here, and everything needs to be taken into account if you are giving maximum fucks, i.e. your paycheck depends on a lap time.
    Very true. I run a lot of autox and I am not running a bigger front sway bar. I have a 3 way adjustable rear sway bar, but I also have the whiteline ATC (which reduces a lot of front body roll) with rear bump steer elimination kit, eibach pro kit springs on factory tokico struts, a beatrush rear strut bar, beatrush rear chassis bar and some other bushings in the rear I can't remember. The car is very neutral with minimal body roll and I can get the rear end way out if I want to but the car handles very well for what I have. It performs better than some of the guys out there on coilovers, but I did set the alignment up myself to help with my setup.