Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car wash safe?

Cars
    2011 BMW 328i, 1966 Ford Mustang 302, 2014 EVO X GSR

Question Car wash safe?

Just wondering, although I'm sure I just sound paranoid, will my evo x GSR be safe going through car wash ports? With the wing and all? Ok I'm reading this and I am just paranoid. Please let me know, it's been only 1 week I've had the car but as my first white car, it gets dirty fast. I want to get a monthly membership at a local car wash and don't have time to wash it myself every week. And no not the 5 dollar drive through car washes popping up all over. A traditional car wash spot.

just worried these workers will do something stupid, anyways thanks for any input.

Cars
    evo9(sold), evo 8(sold), 2014 evo x gsr, 2012 evo x mr
    Honestly I hate letting car washes wash my cars. They use old towels, shitty products, etc... it will damage your paint. Youbare better off going to a frogs wash, using their pressure washer, and doing it yourself if you cant do it where you live.

It depends on the place. Where are you taking it? If you've been there before, take note of what kind of cars seem to go there a lot. If they're almost always going to be a vanilla car or something big like an SUV or minivan, maybe keep looking. If it's a place that tends to have sportier cars or at least something with larger wheels and lower profile tires, then they might know what they're doing, if those types of owners keep going there.

I just had my car detailed by some company that does detailing at the bottom floor of the parking structure next to my office, and they did a great job... which I was expecting, seeing how I regularly see brand new M5s and 911s there.

Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
    It depends on the place. Where are you taking it? If you've been there before, take note of what kind of cars seem to go there a lot. If they're almost always going to be a vanilla car or something big like an SUV or minivan, maybe keep looking. If it's a place that tends to have sportier cars or at least something with larger wheels and lower profile tires, then they might know what they're doing, if those types of owners keep going there.

I just had my car detailed by some company that does detailing at the bottom floor of the parking structure next to my office, and they did a great job... which I was expecting, seeing how I regularly see brand new M5s and 911s there.
    good point. I'm in Huntington Beach? Can anyone recommend a car wash?

Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by one4 View Post
    Honestly I hate letting car washes wash my cars. They use old towels, shitty products, etc... it will damage your paint. Youbare better off going to a frogs wash, using their pressure washer, and doing it yourself if you cant do it where you live.
    thats exactly what I'm worried about, looks like I might have to stop being lazy and do it myself

Junior Moderator

Cars
    Evo 8/9
    I take my car to a place like this in Torrance.
    http://youtu.be/QU0UsIQwllw
    Pictures on all for sale/for trade threads is being enforced!

Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by evobros View Post
    Thats sweet. I need to find this in Orange County! Where exactly in Torrance?

although I've also read some things that this type of wash can be damaging. Idk. I think I'm just going to was my own damn car in the end.

unless again any recommendations near Huntington Beach?

Cars
    Evo IX MR - 2G Eclipse GST -3G Eclipse (Sold)
    Bro, looks great. I always use hand car wash, but you need to know the right place or DIY with the right method

SoCalEvo.net Vendor

Cars
    evo
    All of the automated car washes are crap! I know you are in HB however, you want to either take it to a proper detail shop or you can come down to SD and see me. As stated before most of the car washes use shitty materials as well as products. There is a lot to car care than most people thing. As mentioned before, most of them use old crappy towels, the towels they do use aren't even the right ones for the job. Most use terry cloths which should never touch painted surfaces. Also the towels as mentioned before are usually worn and dirty from previous cars. Also all the automated washes, the machine brushes are all dirty from the cars before. So all of those contaminants are just being wiped across the car which cause your scratches and swirls. Then someone like me has to go and correct them all. 95% of all swirls, hazing, marring are all caused by improper washing techniques. Also the water some of them use isn't filtered and softened.

What I do can not be replicated unless its another detailer of equal or better experience/knowledge. Which in this world is not many. Don't believe me? Look at my work.

SoCalEvo.net Vendor

Cars
    evo
    although it is slightly a better option. The problem is that air is not metered or filtered. Also if it kicks up any particles or elements it has a opportunity to hit the car which causes pitting in the paint at the very least. I also always recommend drying the car with a microfiber towel that is made for drying.

To caviat this, I use a air blower by metro-vac which is filtered and metered air. So that means no particles ever get a chance of hitting the car. it is pretty nifty stuff. But like i said I am on a whole different level of analness which is comes to car care.

SoCalEvo.net Vendor

Cars
    evo
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheed85 View Post
    thats exactly what I'm worried about, looks like I might have to stop being lazy and do it myself
    you would do harm as well. Maybe not as much as some of the machine wash options but if you do not have the right equipment and knowledge you will also ruin your paint. There is a certain way you need to wash a car. Most people use a bucket method. This could go very wrong. Also if you do not have filtered and softened water, you are doing your car an injustice. Because there are small particles and sediment deposits in tap water. And you are now washing your car and wiping your car with sediment deposits amongst other things.

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    Sheed85,

listen to this guy. if you had a dd that you wanted to keep clean and well maintained, there are a LOT of options out there. automated car washes, these mom and pop places and the fly by night detailers.

some are good (by word of mouth) but in the end, if you are as picky with your car as me and him, there are only two things you need to be concerned. the way everybody does it, and the right way.

my daily, I keep clean as much as I can. I rinse it off at least once a week, and I keep it thoroughly waxed so that when I run through these drive through (no bristles/brushes) car washes, all the dirt practically rinses away with little to no effort.

and then there's my Evo. that I am as anal as they come. I washed it only ONCE since I got it, and then did a full on paint detail and lock. it hasn't seen a lick of water that's not filtered. that should tell you all you need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Delegance Detailing View Post
    All of the automated car washes are crap! I know you are in HB however, you want to either take it to a proper detail shop or you can come down to SD and see me. As stated before most of the car washes use shitty materials as well as products. There is a lot to car care than most people thing. As mentioned before, most of them use old crappy towels, the towels they do use aren't even the right ones for the job. Most use terry cloths which should never touch painted surfaces. Also the towels as mentioned before are usually worn and dirty from previous cars. Also all the automated washes, the machine brushes are all dirty from the cars before. So all of those contaminants are just being wiped across the car which cause your scratches and swirls. Then someone like me has to go and correct them all. 95% of all swirls, hazing, marring are all caused by improper washing techniques. Also the water some of them use isn't filtered and softened.

What I do can not be replicated unless its another detailer of equal or better experience/knowledge. Which in this world is not many. Don't believe me? Look at my work.

Sportback Evolution MR

Mr. Gangbang

Damn. Filtered water for your car? You guys are pretty extreme lol. TBH I just bought a Toro Wax kit from a place called Chemical Guys in Santa Ana and that's what I use to wash my car. I do use tap water, shame on me, and I dry with a couple microfiber towels.

Is there an attachment for a water hose that could filter out all the sediment and shit from the tap?

Cars
    Thanks for all the good input guys. I have micro fiber towels , so a quick rinse frequently and drying with microfiber towels and a good wax should keep my baby clean I hope and "clean" for the years to come. Do I got this about right? And maybe a monthly detail

Cars
    06' Mitsu Lancer Evolution IX
    anybody know of a real good wax kit.?

i've tooken my car to Aqua Wash in San Diego everytime i'm paranoid of them taking it or they dont do a good job, its too hard trying to find a do it yourself car wash around here. so i think a quick rinse and wax would be fine?

Cars
    06' Mitsu Lancer Evolution IX
    What do you guys clean the engine bay with also?

I use the tears of Subaru owners.

Team Knee Pads Baller Member evoempire's Avatar
    I'll get to all your questions. I am a bit busy right now.

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    2009 Lancer ES & 2009 Lancer GTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky_ix View Post
    anybody know of a real good wax kit.?

i've tooken my car to Aqua Wash in San Diego everytime i'm paranoid of them taking it or they dont do a good job, its too hard trying to find a do it yourself car wash around here. so i think a quick rinse and wax would be fine?
    How much do you usually spend when you take it to aqua?

SoCalEvo.net Vendor

Cars
    evo
    Oops wrong account lol I'll get to everyone's questions asap.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast