Thread: Depo Headlights question

Cars
    Evo X GSR

Depo Headlights question

Hello,
    I have a base model gsr, and I hate this headlight. I wanted to buy oem SS headlight, but its about 1200k. No way I am paying that much money. I rather save it for a AMS FMIC lol.
    So I found this headlight. I already searched on google. Some people say good thing, some people bad. Anyone has them?
    Anyway, my problem is that on ebay, for the 2014 model, they only sell the halogen. The one that is HID says it does not fit my car. Is that correct? arent they all the same?

If they are not the same, can I just buy a aftermarket HID and change the halogen?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/08-15-Mitsub...6ae78c&vxp=mtr

I am not sure if I am prohibit to post link. Please let me know and Ill delete it.
    Thanks
    I am not designed to come second or third. I am designed to win.
    Ayrton Senna

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    well the pics on that link look like the OEM projector type lenses which are the ones that come with HID. the non HID ones have the reflector.

my daily has the reflector ones and those are interchangeable with the projector ones.

if all you need is the extra light, and dont want the headache to legalize your headlights, just get any aftermarket HID and call it a day. the HID equipped and non HID Evo headlights are interchangeable. any place that tells you otherwise is just pulling your chain.

Sportback Evolution MR

Cars
    Evo X GSR
    The reason I wanna buy that headlight is just because of that cannon ball thing. (dont know wats it called)
    I think the reflectors are very ugly. So what you are saying is that I can buy that one from ebay and just buy a HID aftermarket and success???
    Ayrton Senna

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    what im saying is that a depo headlight should fit on any Evo X/Lancer if it does look like that. now depending on how they have it wired together is another story, so that doesn't mean success right away.

Sportback Evolution MR

Cars
    Evo X GSR
    yea. thanks
    The seller told me I only need a 9006 HID kit to switch.
    Ayrton Senna

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates
    Cars
    5150 flexfuel tuned 14/ww CZ4A/07 CT9A MR
    Quote Originally Posted by m3Senna View Post
    yea. thanks
    The seller told me I only need a 9006 HID kit to switch.
    its a little process, TBH I haven seen a write up on it. I know the 2014's have a two stage start up, that maybe have issues with aftermarket ballasts. the stock relay that starts out a low wattage then with in a few seconds switches to full power. something to do with how a HID bulb warms up.

anyways he ended up having all kinds of errors: one light only working, or even both going out completely. we fucked with for a bit, in the he ended pulling the day time running light fuse. it works now but he no longer has day time running lights or highbeams.

the kit he got was 6k so maybe that had something to do with it, im guessing our stocks are 43k or 5k I don't remember. so if you want a stock look double check the bulb temp.

everything else was a quick Bolt-on no problems.

Cars
    Evo X GSR
    Quote Originally Posted by jiGGypiGGy View Post
    its a little process, TBH I haven seen a write up on it. I know the 2014's have a two stage start up, that maybe have issues with aftermarket ballasts. the stock relay that starts out a low wattage then with in a few seconds switches to full power. something to do with how a HID bulb warms up.

anyways he ended up having all kinds of errors: one light only working, or even both going out completely. we fucked with for a bit, in the he ended pulling the day time running light fuse. it works now but he no longer has day time running lights or highbeams.

the kit he got was 6k so maybe that had something to do with it, im guessing our stocks are 43k or 5k I don't remember. so if you want a stock look double check the bulb temp.

everything else was a quick Bolt-on no problems.
    thank you for the info. I will check these, because I was looking to get a 8k HID. I hope it works, otherwise I will just return it. Did your friend got same aftermarket headlight? or just the HID?
    Ayrton Senna

Not So Newbie
    Rowland Heights, California, United States
    Cars
    2014 EVO X, 2014 Q5
    OP, I got exact the same DEPO and I actually picked a set up a year ago at their warehouse in El Monte.
    I don't have issue with these at all.
    Fitment was 100% spot on.
    Only complain I have is that I think the lens is not some quality lenses, so if you use high temp HID, the vision may be bad.
    I am currently using 6000k HIDs and visibility is OKish.
    If I can choose again, I'd go with 5000k or even 4300k.
    BTW, I have a 2014 base model as well, so if I dont have issue, you should have issue with it.
    you do need a HID kit conversion kit which is not included.
    I tried to just use the HID kit on the stock halogen, it just doesn't look right and I think my EVO deserves something better than that.
    Here is some photos I just took, light looks blue cuz the hid is not up to temp yet.
    Fitment was great!
    IMG_2021.JPG
    IMG_2022.JPG
    IMG_2023.JPG

I still kept these boxes, it was very well packaged.
    Again, I highly recommend these. DEPO is a very legit company.
    2014 WW EVO X GSR
    Mods:
    TWM Cable Bushings | TWM Transmission Arm Pivot Bushing | TWM Shifter Base Bushing | Lathe Werks Heavy Shift Knob | TWM Full Replacement with Short Shifter