Thread: Need some input on tpms!

Cars
    13' WW evo X

Need some input on tpms!

I just had my wheels installed gramlights 57dr (thanks evoXswimmer) while installing the sensors they kept leaking. He tried to position them differently and nothing. For those who have run these wheels or any aftermarket wheel did they use a different rubber grommet or was it direct swap? Or did he just not put it on right. Any input would be great thanks!

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    i had the same problem when I put the TPMS on my 2012 on the BBS SE wheels. the problem is not how they mount it, but the rubber gasket gets crushed during the original install on the original wheels.

it is the black trim around the valve stem. when they reinstall it, the tire shop has to include what they call a TPMS rebuild kit. essentiall its a set of 4 of these rubber and metal (inner) rings that fit around the TPMS valve stem. this is what keeps a seal.

I had three shops botch that until a Firestone tire shop was able to tell me straight up what was needed. there was no need to rebalance. they just deflated the tire enough to gain access to the TPMS sensor already mounted on the rim. they removed it, put the new rubber grommet/seal and re-inflated the tire back up. it was on my car for almost 3 years until i wore out the tires.

Sportback Evolution MR

Cars
    13' WW evo X
    Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    i had the same problem when I put the TPMS on my 2012 on the BBS SE wheels. the problem is not how they mount it, but the rubber gasket gets crushed during the original install on the original wheels.

it is the black trim around the valve stem. when they reinstall it, the tire shop has to include what they call a TPMS rebuild kit. essentiall its a set of 4 of these rubber and metal (inner) rings that fit around the TPMS valve stem. this is what keeps a seal.

I had three shops botch that until a Firestone tire shop was able to tell me straight up what was needed. there was no need to rebalance. they just deflated the tire enough to gain access to the TPMS sensor already mounted on the rim. they removed it, put the new rubber grommet/seal and re-inflated the tire back up. it was on my car for almost 3 years until i wore out the tires.
    That makes since, when I looked at the grommet it was flat. I'll look online to buy me a set and install them. Thanks for the help :)

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    yeah its just the grommet. its rubber but the center part of it is metal. its kind of like a crush washer. it gets sealed against the rim. good luck!

Sportback Evolution MR