Thread: Just got an Evo...

Just got an Evo...

A little about myself currently in San Clemente originally from Minnesota and an Evo has been my dream car since about 2004 when I first started seeing and reading about them.

So I just picked up an Evo a couple days ago and I absolutely love it but I have almost no clue about some sone things about it, first off it has a coolmist meth/ water injection that I don't really know how to use it where to get methanol. Second off I was on the 91 tune and I was WOT in second around 5k rpm and the service engine light blinks slow I think 3 times. The seller said it just needs a tune from down here because it was tuned in Ohio so the timing will be off does that sound right? I'm just lost I guess and I don't know any tuners down here besides Cobb. The mods include
    FP green turbo, test pipe, down pipe, 280 cams, 955cc injectors an she only has 70,000 miles on it, besides that knock sensor going off I absolutely love it

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    Lancer Evo 9 SE
    welcome to the evo club, word of advice, stay away from the sausage lovers.

Lol what???

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    you'll know them when you see them. my only word of advice....

Sportback Evolution MR

Get retuned for 91 before going WOT. The meth thing is up to you, I'd uninstall it, but keep it if you fully understand it and maintain it.

Cars
    RS Evolution IX Rally Red
    Post pics of the Evo dude

Welcome

I don't know how to add pics from mobile otherwise I would

That's my plan right now too Ever since I looked into meth injection it seems like a bad idea I called Cobb and they don't even mess with it, maybe an e85 tune instead? I'm not even sure how to get that meth kit out of the car

MotoIQ did water, but still seems like more complicated than I want it to be. Maybe this will help you determine the extra shit you don't need:

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...Injection.aspx

I love my dual map 91/E85 tune though, simple and straightforward.

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    Welcome. What year is your evo? I'm getting an 8/9 vibe yeah?

Ditto the above, time to re-tune for CA 91 octane. Ditching the meth and visiting your tuner of choice for a dual map 91/E85 tune is probably gonna be your best bet.

There is a meet tomorrow night in Tustin around 9. More info here: http://www.socalevo.net/threads/2316...vo-Meet/page11

It's a 2005 8 and yeah I'm gonna try to call missimo power today they are 50 miles away from me ( in San Clemente) but you guys speak real highly of them. Unfortunately I can't make it tonight we just got back gonna be moving in today but I definitly want to make it to some meets with you guys and start learning more about these awesome machines. If I took out the kit and sold it could I get much for it? Loving the forum so far! Thanks for the advice

Cars
    2003 Evo 8, 2014 Charger AWD (family car), 1997 Mustang Cobra SVT (DD), 1998 Mustang Cobra SVT Vortech Supercharger (Weekend Drag car)
    Welcome to SCE bro. Nice to have another 8 around lol
    Wtb Evo 8/9 Oem Tb hood
    Wtb AUTHENTIC! TB Jdm rear bumper

I uploaded photos to my album but I can't figure out how to change the profile pic or sig pic or anything :/

Cars
    My bad, the meet is on Saturday.

Massimo Power is well loved and respected for good reason but as far as i know they don't do any tuning in house. Hit up RRE, KT Motoring, 5150 Racing, Tuning Technologies...there are others but those are the usual suspects. Massimo outsources to KT Motoring. Project Import outsources to Church. RRE is going to be closest to San Clemente.

Cars
    2011 BMW 328i, 1966 Ford Mustang 302, 2014 EVO X GSR
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Hunter View Post
    My bad, the meet is on Saturday.

Massimo Power is well loved and respected for good reason but as far as i know they don't do any tuning in house. Hit up RRE, KT Motoring, 5150 Racing, Tuning Technologies...there are others but those are the usual suspects. Massimo outsources to KT Motoring. Project Import outsources to Church. RRE is going to be closest to San Clemente.
    whats the word with cobb. I've heard a couple guys say they prefer another shop, any word why guys? I thought they were pretty reputable.

Cars
    My neighbor had Cobb tune his X and he had a good experience. They do not tune 8/9 though.

Experienced
    Cars
    8/MRS
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Hunter View Post
    Hit up RRE, KT Motoring, 5150 Racing, Tuning Technologies...there are others but those are the usual suspects. Massimo outsources to KT Motoring. Project Import outsources to Church. RRE is going to be closest to San Clemente.
    Not 5150 in Santa Ana?
    Last edited by Drew1; 02-28-2015 at 08:21 AM.

Cars
    Uhhh wow, yeah you're right. Not sure what i was thinking. RRE seems so close now that i moved from san diego to san clemente, and now to costa mesa. They are practically in my backyard!

Why don't they do 8/9's at Cobb? I mean I see them tune like old subies and like legacys all the time. Noob question I have an accessport like tuner thing and I'm not sure exactly what it's fr is it to plug into odb port for tuning?

Experienced
    Cars
    8/MRS
    Quote Originally Posted by Corwin06 View Post
    Why don't they do 8/9's at Cobb? I mean I see them tune like old subies and like legacys all the time. Noob question I have an accessport like tuner thing and I'm not sure exactly what it's fr is it to plug into odb port for tuning?
    I'm 99% sure that 5150 racing's Jon was Cobb's tuner for years and he just branched off for his own shop.

How much does a tune usually cost does it just depend on how many Dyno runs needed?