Thread: Is it safe to run simple boltons while waiting for parts / tuning appointment ?

Not So Newbie
    Rowland Heights, California, United States
    Cars
    2014 EVO X, 2014 Q5

Is it safe to run simple boltons while waiting for parts / tuning appointment ?

Hey, guys,
    I finally gathered almost all the parts I want and am ready to get tuned.
    Currently, I have AEM intake, Greddy single exhaust in my garage.
    I also have intercooler and pipes on the way to me next week.
    Power wise, my car is currently completely stock and I am planning to install these next weekend. (2014 GSR, stock tune)
    My question is, is it safe to run these mods for maybe 1-4 weeks before I get my car tuned? or is it the best to carry the parts to tuner and install them right before tuning?

I don't have big chunk of time to install these in 1 day or 2, so these may take me 2-3 weekends to install.
    Can anyone with some tuning knowledge tell me if there is any harm going to be done?

I think the intake probably has the biggest impact to a stock car.
    I am thinking install catback and intercoolers and piping first, then the night before tuning, I will install the intake.
    Is this a good order?
    2014 WW EVO X GSR
    Mods:
    TWM Cable Bushings | TWM Transmission Arm Pivot Bushing | TWM Shifter Base Bushing | Lathe Werks Heavy Shift Knob | TWM Full Replacement with Short Shifter

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates
    Cars
    5150 flexfuel tuned 14/ww CZ4A/07 CT9A MR
    I wouldn't, to be safe. some might say its fine just say off boost or whatevs.

you got a brand new car, make sure you do everything you can to make it right: you might just have to wait until your schedule to opens up to allow install and tune in the same day....wait for that time.

im not and expert or anything, if you need real soild advice call whomever is going to tune the car.

Cars
    2011 BMW 328i, 1966 Ford Mustang 302, 2014 EVO X GSR
    I would wait, just to be safe. I stockpiled for months until I could get all my desired parts, and am going to put them on all at once and have the car tuned immediately. + 1 to do it once and do it right. I also have a 2014 GSR, and it's hard for me to wait even one month, but that's the soonest my tuner could get me in, so just have to be patient.

Cars
    2003 VIII, 2019 Taco, 2008 MDX
    Depends on what you'll be doing with the car in the meantime...If it's your only mode of transportation maybe not such a good idea.

Reason being, the car should be fine at part throttle, low load, no boost. But if you get caught out and for whatever reason have to smash on it, that might be where you run into trouble.

Cars
    Evo IX MR - 2G Eclipse GST -3G Eclipse (Sold)
    I'll say maybe you can install some parts and others can wait. another question is, do you have money to pay the tuner for install them? Does the tuner have means and time to install the parts?. I know exhaust parts could be a hard to work with them and install the FMIC is time consuming for remove the bumper. In my personal opinion, until you don't hit the throttle at WOT, you'll be fine. Another thing is, if get a CEL, then you can roll back. just keep all sensors connected and things like CAT, leave it.

JFA EVO 9 MR - Track and Mountain Yeah

Assuming you're installing these yourself to save time and money, I'd say it should be ok if you stay out of boost. Everyone's situations are different. I installed an intercooler, ic piping, downpipe, aftermarket turbo, intake, and full exhaust and putted around town for a week or so. But I was extra careful, I wouldn't recommend it lol.

Cars
    evo9(sold), evo 8(sold), 2014 evo x gsr, 2012 evo x mr
    You will be fine with the catback and upper intercooler pipe... even the lower on you will be fine. Just no point in spending the time taking off the bumper 2x lol. So... i would do the intake intercooler stuff right before.

SoCalEvo.net Shop

I am thinking install catback and intercoolers and piping first, then the night before tuning, I will install the intake.
    Is this a good order?

Yes, that is a good plan. Even if it were a couple 3-5 days with the AEM intake on before the tune, just dont race anyone else or your shadow or otherwise beat on the car until the tune and you will be fine.

Mike W