Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone replace Airbag due to recall?

Went to San Bernardino mitsubishi the other day to pick up an oil filter and stuff and decided to make an appointment for the recall and I have to go in October, they also said I have that dcu recall I told them nope because it's tuned and they wrote down they wouldn't even touch the ecu then
    s2k----> Evo IX

Cars
    GG IX MR
    im trying to set up an appointment, but i wanted to see if you fellow evo owners have a preference on what dealer to take it to? went to cerritos and it looked kinda sketchy.

Why did they turn you down?
    They just hatin bro!

m6.jpg

I got that done and my timing belt 2 weeks ago. I called South coast to setup an appointment with them, they also set me up with a rental to get around. It took them about 1 day and a half to get this job completed.

Warning, if you go to cerritos mitsubishi be prepared to pay $125 if you have aftermarket gauges in your car. They charged me $125 saying they need to charge that to disconnect and reconnect the boost gauge when removing the dash and replacing the airbag.

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    Quote Originally Posted by hardcoreracing View Post
    Warning, if you go to cerritos mitsubishi be prepared to pay $125 if you have aftermarket gauges in your car. They charged me $125 saying they need to charge that to disconnect and reconnect the boost gauge when removing the dash and replacing the airbag.
    is your boost gauge on the steering wheel housing where the wiper and signal stalks are located? that sucks.

Sportback Evolution MR

is your boost gauge on the steering wheel housing where the wiper and signal stalks are located? that sucks.
    Yes, steering wheel gauge pod. I scheduled the appointment a month and a half in advance so I didn't want to miss the opportunity of getting it done since I had to miss work to take the car there. Only took about three hours to complete so I don't think my car gave them any problems.

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    still thats messed up. its not like the gauge is on the steering wheel. oh well. some recall. at least they got it done without any other issues right?

Sportback Evolution MR

Yes, I made sure to check everything before I left the lot. Turbo timer still worked and the boost gauge. I made sure to tell them not to flash the car before I left it there also because there was a recall on that. He made it seem like there was no way the car would pass smog after flashing it. He stated that I would have to buy a new ecu to pass smog. I don't think he realized I've tuned my own evos.

I don't understand why they would charge you, they don't touch your driver air bag at all. The recall is for passenger side only.

NHTSA: Mitsubishi will notify owners, and dealers will replace the front passenger air bag inflator, free of charge. If I was you, I'd call Mitsubishi corp.

They're not charging for the airbag itself. They are charging to remove the aftermarket gauges and reconnect them to remove the dash to get to the airbag. Also, if you're going to Cerritos Mitsubishi keep in mind that they do not give our loaner cars and they do not have a shuttle to take you anywhere.

South Coast Mitsu, no problems or hassles I think the guy that took care of me was Steven, cool guy. No rattles or anything running thru 57/60/710 freeways going home. Only minor gripes are that I was there at appt time, but the car was taken in after maybe an hr or two (actual job took about an hour). The second gripe is that I pulled my headunit out along with some other small things so to remove the stereo/hvac bezel they just had to put their hand in the stereo hole and kinda work it out. I can see small nicks between the bezel and the console just beneath the defrost, a/c, and re-circulation buttons where they probably pryed.

GG IX MR is still in the showroom.

Chuck Norris can make a woman climax by simply pointing at her and saying "Boo-yah!"

Cars
    06 EB EVO IX
    Quote Originally Posted by hardcoreracing View Post
    Dealer told me they can only do two recalls a day, because they have to take the whole dash apart. So dealer is booked until August at Cerritos Mitsubishi. Expect to leave your car there all day.
    I will CONFIRM ON THIS. Took my evo9 in for the airbag recall couple months ago. As quoted above, " Expect to leave your car there all day."
    The easiest thing to do in the world is smile and be kind!

Any recommendations for dealerships that can deal with this efficiently? A day and a half at Southcoast sounds pretty crazy, especially since I live on the westside.

I took mine to South Coast, had to wait over a month for the appointment though. I took my gauges out before giving it to them, and my stereo is in the bottom cubby so no issues there. Dash went back in with no rattles which was nice!

I did ask them whether I should remove the gauges beforehand and they appreciated that. They didn't mention anything about a cost to work around them though, but they did mention they check them beforehand as they had a few people trying to get a free install of their partially installed gauges out of it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12