Thread: Clar bar, Clay block, Clay mitts and Clay DA pads. which go or not go?

Cars
    Evo IX MR - 2G Eclipse GST -3G Eclipse (Sold)

Clar bar, Clay block, Clay mitts and Clay DA pads. which go or not go?

hello guys,
    I was going to post on fb detail group, but I know I may get better comments here due we have guys obsess about car care and professional detailers. Recently I wonder which clay would be the best for beginners and also which case less marring or scratches using the right method. Personally I'll not feel right using Clay DA pads due a rotation machine could be too aggressive if you not have experience with the clay process. in other words, for me could be too risky to cause scratches.

If you guys can mention the best OTC quick detailer will be great. I know some may use just suds to lub the surface, but again I think QD will be the best for beginners. Let's have a constructive discussion. If you can mentioned brands, it'll be apprecited.

JFA EVO 9 MR - Track and Mountain Yeah

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    I detail on the side so here's my 2 cents.

Clay bars will not damage the paint provided you use it properly. Just use lots of lube (no pun intended) and work one section of the panel at a time. Any over the counter clay bar kit will work (mothers or meguiars), but then again I am partial to meguiars.

I have no experience with the clay mitt, but based on my knowledge on how a clay bar works, I don't think the mitt would offer any advantage other than how easy you could handle that versus a small clay bar.

I don't know what you mean by Clay DA pads, but if you mean the DA polisher, then that would be a safe machine to use, even by a beginner. I would recommend NOT getting a rotary like Makita/3M, etc unless you have experience using so. A DA will stop rotation if you induce to much pressure - a rotary will literally burn right through your paint - and keep going.

A good OTC detailer I would recommend is the Meguiar's Quik Detailer or the Ultimate Quik Detailer. Both retail for about $12 or so bucks at Walmart.

Im actually trying to organize a Meguiar's day for SoCalEvo members. Hopefully within the next month or so or at least before MOD.

Sportback Evolution MR

Cars
    04 tarmac black ssl
    Count me in for meguiars day!

Cars
    06 EB Evo IX GSR / 21 Type R
    Let me know when this gets scheduled! I might actually make it out to MOD this year!

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    yeah for sure. working out the details with the meguiars online rep

Sportback Evolution MR

Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    I don't know what you mean by Clay DA pads, but if you mean the DA polisher, then that would be a safe machine to use, even by a beginner. I would recommend NOT getting a rotary like Makita/3M, etc unless you have experience using so. A DA will stop rotation if you induce to much pressure - a rotary will literally burn right through your paint - and keep going.
    Clay pads are mitts made for DA. Actually I notice on a comment on D'elegance Detailing fb advertising about DA Clay. But I want to hear how risky could be. When I'm using clay bar, I don't want to use to much pressure, do thinking the weight of a DA could be more pressure than required. The idea is to really undestand if really this new technology on clay is safe enough and the life span of a mitt.

Im actually trying to organize a Meguiar's day for SoCalEvo members. Hopefully within the next month or so or at least before MOD.
    Really love to have that.. I subscribed into a few youtube detailing channels, so very interested on this topic.

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    Quote Originally Posted by evo_jfa View Post
    Clay pads are mitts made for DA. Actually I notice on a comment on D'elegance Detailing fb advertising about DA Clay. But I want to hear how risky could be. When I'm using clay bar, I don't want to use to much pressure, do thinking the weight of a DA could be more pressure than required. The idea is to really undestand if really this new technology on clay is safe enough and the life span of a mitt.

I haven't seen that, and don't really know first hand how it should really work.

The weight of the DA shouldnt matter, as you do need ample pressure to use a clay bar. It needs lubrication though, so I dont know how that can be introduced without getting some on the DA.

maybe someone with experience on using that can chime in but this is the first I've heard about that.

Sportback Evolution MR

Cars
    Well, CQ has 3 grades of clay pads, but if you see them closely, it's a clay mitt.. so it should make clay process quickly for large vehicles. I know CQ is fine for amateurs, but not having other big brands with same products, could be for multiple reasons, like final results or not suitable for cars with soft paint.

CLY_512-ClayEraserDisc-HexLogicGeoImpressions-Purple.jpgCLY_512-ClayEraserDisc-Purple-Medium-Polisher-WEB.jpg web link https://www.chemicalguys.com/Clay_Eraser_Disc_Blue_Fine_6_inch_p/cly_512.htm

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    yeah.....I dont buy that. the whole purpose of clay would be to lift off the dirt. and if you drop you throw away. that says you can just rinse. I wont be too comfortable with that. if that is a proven good system, the bigger brands would have done it by now.

Personal opinion - I would stay away from that.

Sportback Evolution MR

SoCalEvo.net Vendor

Cars
    evo

Clay bars will not damage the paint provided you use it properly. Just use lots of lube (no pun intended) and work one section of the panel at a time. Any over the counter clay bar kit will work (mothers or meguiars), but then again I am partial to meguiars.

I have no experience with the clay mitt, but based on my knowledge on how a clay bar works, I don't think the mitt would offer any advantage other than how easy you could handle that versus a small clay bar.

A good OTC detailer I would recommend is the Meguiar's Quik Detailer or the Ultimate Quik Detailer. Both retail for about $12 or so bucks at Walmart.

With all due respect I have to respectfully disagree. Even the softest poly clay creates marring in the paint when used properly. And this is due to the simple nature that you are rubbing a clay compound onto a paint surface and extracting contaminants in the process all while scraping the contaminants across the paint no matter how much you refold the clay.

The clay mitts do work however again when used properly for certain applications. As a amateur I would stick to the normal clay bars as the mitts and clay DA pads are more geared for the pros. As for the clay lubricant the best for claying is actually clay lubricant specifically engineered to work with claying. The clay lube aids the clay in its properties in extracting contaminants the safest way possible. Detail spray is not designed for claying and never was. Clay lube also increases the longevity of the clay and helps with the clay properties.

SoCalEvo.net Vendor

Cars
    evo
    Quote Originally Posted by evo_jfa View Post
    Well, CQ has 3 grades of clay pads, but if you see them closely, it's a clay mitt.. so it should make clay process quickly for large vehicles. I know CQ is fine for amateurs, but not having other big brands with same products, could be for multiple reasons, like final results or not suitable for cars with soft paint.

CLY_512-ClayEraserDisc-HexLogicGeoImpressions-Purple.jpgCLY_512-ClayEraserDisc-Purple-Medium-Polisher-WEB.jpg web link https://www.chemicalguys.com/Clay_Eraser_Disc_Blue_Fine_6_inch_p/cly_512.htm
    Beginners should stay away from using any clay mitts or DA clay pads. The reason why is if not used properly you could seriously damage the paint surface real quick. Leave those for only trained professionals. Notice I said trained professionals. Even the untrained pros have issues with these and a lot of the pros I train do not know how to use these properly.

If I were you I would grab a bottle of clay lube, get a moderate poly clay, apply very little pressure just enough to maintain control fo the clay, and refold the clay every 2 sq feet. Be liberal with the lube as well. If you drop clay on floor throw it away!

I like using Megs clay bar with Pinnacle clay lubricant.