Thread: Evo 8 fuel pump install and now car won't run!!??

Evo 8 fuel pump install and now car won't run!!??

Just replaced te housing for my fuel pump, I put the same fuel pump back in that was previously in the car and was working fine. Now all of a sudden the car will only start with spraying starter fluid in the intake but the car Boggs out and will die unless I keep on the gas. The spark plugs are fine and there is no gas in them.

Here Is a video

Img_0580.mov

Quote Originally Posted by Tylermontalvo7 View Post
    Just replaced te housing for my fuel pump, I put the same fuel pump back in that was previously in the car and was working fine. Now all of a sudden the car will only start with spraying starter fluid in the intake but the car Boggs out and will die unless I keep on the gas. The spark plugs are fine and there is no gas in them.
    Also the pump only makes noise when I crank the car. It is a walbro 255. I think I may have possibly flooded the car by trying to start it so many times without it starting.

Cars
    RS Evolution IX Rally Red
    What was the reason for the replacement of the fuel pump ??

SoCalEvo.net Shop

The fuel pump is only supposed to run when the motor is turning. That is a safety thing.

You done messed up something on the install apparently. Take it all back apart and check over what all you did. Make sure the o-ring is installed and still in the right place. If the pump is running and you dont have fuel pressure, then you have a leak inside the whole pump and housing assembly. Retrace your steps and look and think how the whole thing works. Some pumps are more sensitive to what rubber piece that you use on the bottom. You need to be sure that the little bleed hole isnt covered up.

Mike W

Thanks guys! I just was taking out the pump to make sure it was clean and ended up breaking the nipple for the return hose. So I had to order a brand new housing for it which I did. I just said screw it and ordered a whole new walbro 255 pump. I'm hoping this works. I think it has to be the pump because that's the only thing I touched and the car ran fine before hand. Thanks for the quick responses!!

So you guys think it's the fuel pump? There was also no fuel in the return line and I don't even think fuel was in the suction line

SoCalEvo.net Shop

The fuel pump puts the fuel in the fuel lines. So yeah, if there is no fuel in the lines then typically it would be the fuel pump not putting it there.Take it all back apart and check over what all you did. Make sure the o-ring is installed and still in the right place. If the pump is running and you dont have fuel pressure, then you have a leak inside the whole pump and housing assembly. Retrace your steps and look and think how the whole thing works. Some pumps are more sensitive to what rubber piece that you use on the bottom. You need to be sure that the little bleed hole isnt covered up.

With it out and apart you can post up pics and questions better then.

Mike W

I had the same issue. With the help of Mike and Honda Robert I decided to look over the assembly very closely. The black connector that goes into the bottom of the housing has a O-ring. Push that O-ring onto the black connector first then jam it into the housing.

So I got the new pump and same thing haha. Ya I'll try that o ring for that one negative thanks!!! Hopefully this works it's my daily driver 😂

No way!!!! Thanks for all your help X guy and Mike!!! It worked !!! 😂😂👌🏽 The whole time I knew it felt loose but never thought about that !!! 😭😭 I'm so happy now lol.

Cars
    Evo IX MR - 2G Eclipse GST -3G Eclipse (Sold)
    wow Mike. Only guys with enough experience will know what it's failing with very few information..

Side note. Once the car comes to a stop it idles at a very low rpm and almost dies. Does anyone know what that could be? I know it's not spark plugs I checked them. I'm thinking it's the o2 sensor. I it is could I leave it unplugged until I get a new one installed ?

Additional info - when I turn on AC it also affect the RPMs by dropping it even more!

Also car runs fine on highway.