PDA

View Full Version : "Service Engine Soon" light came on

apexstrafer
08-24-2003, 09:23 PM
Today while up in the canyons, after running the car pretty hard, I shut it down (after letting it idle first, of course) for a while and when I started it up again, the service engine light came on. I disconnected the battery, connected it again and started it - light went out. Then the next time I started the car again, it came on and stayed on. Should I take it to the dealer ASAP? Or is it just some emissions thing that can wait? Thanks.

Chris in SD
08-25-2003, 04:32 PM
Jeff, I'd get that checked out. Since you are still stock, you have nothing to sweat.

apexstrafer
08-25-2003, 11:50 PM
Ah, fuggit- the light's out today. I guess it was a glitch.

Vanilla Sky
08-27-2003, 06:54 PM
next time youre at the dealer, have them run a system check. cant hurt, that light came on for one reason or another - better safe than sorry

apexstrafer
08-27-2003, 11:02 PM
yeah, not a bad idea. Its still staying off, but ya never know.

Hey, what dealers have an evo tech onsite on saturdays? torrance, my local dealer, only has their evo guy during the week and I hate having to make someone take me to work and all that shatner. How about huntington, I keep hearing great things about their service.

rollo
09-03-2003, 12:56 PM
You guys probably know this, but the most common cause of the malfunction indicator light coming on is a gas cap that's not tight enough. If the light stays on, it means, keep driving, but get it looked at soon. If it flashes, it means, stop right now. It is an emissions things - the MIL is an OBDII requirement - so it might mean a bad O2 sensor, crack in the header, bad cat and so on. But if it goes out again, it could have been something transitory like bad gas. You can prevent that with Beano :lol:

turbonawd
09-08-2003, 10:13 PM
mine came on once when I was venting my bov and stalled.. but I'm recirculating now and it has not turned on since.

koolmits
10-29-2003, 04:58 PM
I'm willin to bet that was code # 300 multiple misfire . I'm also willin to bet the engine wasn't up to op temp , AND the load was under 30 % .

perversity
11-12-2003, 07:51 PM
Hey Apexstrafer. I'd take it to the dealer and have them check it. After all, you are still under warranty. The ECU keeps a history of events and they can tell you exactly what the problem was and get it resolved before something catastrophic happens.