PDA

View Full Version : anyone have experence with aem ecm...

gt40
08-30-2003, 10:53 PM
I just added a garrett gt40 injectors and a list... I understand the evo's ecu is resistant to piggybacks and so am thinking of aem's ecm.

1400 + tune but I am tired of waiting for it. I have this great turbo in the evo running stock boost.. Up to 340hp on the dyno with the exhaust intercooler and the turbo but this is weak for what its capable of... Also very laggy unmapped. Should I wait or suggestions please! Also, what about a manual boost controller recomendation as a temp fix?

Ricardon
08-31-2003, 02:14 AM
Mark, I'm not a super fan of temp fixes, nor piggy backs/Ecu reflashes. Stand alones like the AEM EMS, or the HKS F-CON are significantly more expensive, and a bit more difficult to tune than the typical fuel computers, but they are worth every penny IMO. I say suck it up and wait a little longer 'til that baaaaad aaaaassss piece of equipment comes out. That thing is gonna have absolutely everything you could possibly need for your car in one box, and it will have a wiring harness that is direct plug/play with the stock so if you have problems, just unplug it and replace it with the stocker.

drmosh
08-31-2003, 02:25 AM
Rip it all out and put a MOTEC engine manager in...

:shock:

Ricardon
08-31-2003, 02:40 AM
Motec's are way too expensive and waaaaaaaaaay too difficult to tune correctly IMO. And the AEM is a full stand alone that should be fairly easy to tune and can plug right into the stock wiring harness so you don't have to do any re-wring like the HKS and especially the Motec. That thing is a vicious bitch when it comes to wiring.

gt40
11-11-2003, 01:49 AM
Okay, so we got the thing in the night before 2 days at willow! Thank you to Roshon at brainstorm for coming back from sema early and slaving at the dyno till 10pm to get me out.

First impressions... it works. Picked up 60 torque and my check engine light is now my shift light!

Anyway, I will post more after i finish tuning. Got to drop the 272 cams in first on wednsday...

Anyway, if you are going to do serious mods aem is the ticket. My 2 cents.

MrBubbler
11-11-2003, 12:16 PM
Mmmm Mine goes in this week also Mmmm AEM

gt40
11-17-2003, 12:15 AM
MrBubbler,

Just a suggestion on saving money on the dyno. Finish your engine mods first, then do an aem or you will waste 800.00 + to tune. You will not gain anything over a custom flash unless you are doing a turbo upgrade, cams and possibly internals and head work... Once you start adding injectors, turbo upgrade etc, a flash will not cut it!

If you are just doing turboback and header and intake a good flash on a dyno will be more than adequate.

gt40
11-17-2003, 12:19 AM
Just a note to mention the hks cams, gears and test pipe are still being tuned. We have a day and a half on the dyno and the idle is very stable! Wickedly LUMPY though... will post new dyno graph hopefully this week. Major improvement in spool up and power is earlier too.

MrBubbler
11-17-2003, 01:03 AM
yea my turbo is getting in soon havent decided which one but it will ne nice, one of my sponsors might be making me a hybrid to put in!

gt40
11-17-2003, 01:26 AM
What are you trying to build the car for? track, drag or fast show n shine...? Maybe invest in some serious track days before you add a 150 or so hp. Less can be more at first for the track...

Ricardon
11-17-2003, 01:49 AM
I want the AEM sooooo bad it hurts. But like Mark said...wait until youve got some hefty mods, or you'll be burning money on the dyno along with your cat LOL. I won't be getting a bigger turbo, just upgrading the stock one a little, hehehe, but I'll wait on the AEM till all my bolt-ons, injectors, intake manifold, and fuel pump are done. I haven't decided if I want to spend the money on a simple flash in the meantime though. We'll see.

Coolguy949
11-17-2003, 09:54 AM
One way to get some more power out of the stock turbo is to clip the exhaust wheel 10 - 15 degrees. You'll loose a little bit of spool but gain a bit more top end from the turbo.

Yeah, EMS is hardcore. Is a good deal though because it's a complete solution.......last weekend at RRE we even dicovered it uses the stock solenoid to control boost if you dont want to use an external boost controller. With a turbo-back, cams, intake, custom tubular manifold, and the EMS (with external BC set at 19 psi) their Evo was putting down 299awhp. It's a really nice unit. I've talked to the guys at AEM, it's their pride and joy.

EvolOne
11-17-2003, 08:50 PM
yea my turbo is getting in soon havent decided which one but it will ne nice, one of my sponsors might be making me a hybrid to put in!

Mind if I ask, what's with sponsors? What kind of deal have you got going? R2

EvolOne
11-17-2003, 08:57 PM
I want the AEM sooooo bad it hurts. But like Mark said...wait until youve got some hefty mods, or you'll be burning money on the dyno along with your cat LOL. I won't be getting a bigger turbo, just upgrading the stock one a little, hehehe, but I'll wait on the AEM till all my bolt-ons, injectors, intake manifold, and fuel pump are done. I haven't decided if I want to spend the money on a simple flash in the meantime though. We'll see. Are you considering getting the bigger impeller blades from turbonetics installed in the factory turbo? Or Gt40? R2

Ricardon
11-17-2003, 09:37 PM
I plan on doing the Turbonetics upgrade, but it looks like that will be a little farther down the road. My upgrade path has taken some slight turns, along with some pretty hairy turns lately, but it's actually gone back towards my initial ideas. It doesn't look like I will need the EMS for quite some time according to my "new" upgrade path. I will finish my turbo-back with a downpipe first, then it will be all suspension and brakes, which will chew up quite a bit of money and time. Before I upgrade the turbo I'll be finishing the rest of the bolt-ons like I said in my previous post. The new APS stuff looks pretty wicked I must say, and I may even go with their piggyback ecu. It's similar to the Exede, but according to Roshan is superior and more more tuneable. I want to set up a solid base well before upgrading the turbo so that when the turbo goes in I can do all of my dyno tuning at once! The EMS looks to be the ticket if you plan on fully building the motor and replacing the stock turbo with a big snail like the GT-40. It's a little bit overkill for my current plan, but will likely be a part of the design when the car is no longer my daily driver. Plans change though, we'll see.

MrBubbler
11-18-2003, 01:52 AM
yea the APS stuff looks mighty amazing , and for EvolOne go to www.highintenzity.com on lower right hand corner is a list of sponsors of my team 2 of which only apply to me and my roommate obsoleteasian1 yea thats right we have 2 evos in the drive way! i wish i could share more about sponsorship but im not really supposed to talk about prices i pay etc etc, lets just say some are for cost some are discount and some are discount, install and tunning for free

ItsStockOfficer
12-10-2003, 02:03 AM
I used the EMS for a while, back when it was version .89 for my 1g dsm. Its a relatively simple system to learn, but quite involved. You could spend 2 hours getting your car driveable and 2 years getting it perfect. I found that even for my 400 hp street car an SAFC was the optimal solution, but supposedly the newest versions of the EMS software are EXTREMELY good. I would be interested in try it again sometime with version 1.03. Don't jump into it because its the most versatile, get it because its nessecary.

gt40
12-10-2003, 01:13 PM
Don't jump into it because its the most versatile, get it because its nessecary.

You could spend 2 hours getting your car driveable and 2 years getting it perfect

Good quotes!

Basically you need to spend a significant amount of money for the aem ems + sensors + tuning. Of course you should have already added injectors + fuel pump + full exhaust + cams + turbo + assorted other mods to be worth the trouble.

Coolguy949
12-10-2003, 01:23 PM
Don't jump into it because its the most versatile, get it because its nessecary.

You could spend 2 hours getting your car driveable and 2 years getting it perfect

Good quotes!

Basically you need to spend a significant amount of money for the aem ems + sensors + tuning.

Or as Al says, "tunning"

AMS MIKE
12-17-2003, 01:11 PM
AEM has come out with their newest version 30-1313U and it comes with the Uego wideband built in.

check out the AEM EMS forum and read how great of system it really is!
http://forum.aempower.com/bbs/login.php

gt40
12-17-2003, 06:54 PM
Mike,

I have been driving the aem for 2 months now with the uego... If you have any specific questions, fire away.

Fyi, once you set up your map and hopefully will do so on a dyno, your uego is just a gadget you aren't even thinking about... I burned up mine just in the initial tuning and the shop burned up 2 more. Use someone elses... you can always add it later. That is why i didn't get the built in one!

They are individually calibrated- the box and the sensor. Sensors can burn up.... you will have to send in the whole ecm if you get it built in.

Yeah the aem is seriously making a difference but see my earlier comments about costs... also you need to figure on adding a new ignition once you cross 400hp as you get spark scatter.... see this post on evolutionm:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51388

hope that helps...

FYI, we are around 450 at the wheels now since I am able to run at 1.6 bar boost with additional tuning... can't wait to do a map for c16 for track days! Can you say 550 at the wheels... btw, just getting on the onramp now in 1st, you smoke all 4 tires when the boost hits!

ItsStockOfficer
12-17-2003, 08:42 PM
are you burning the sensor up like that on unleaded or leaded fuel?