PDA

View Full Version : good place for alarm?

vroomevo
09-03-2003, 11:39 PM
Hello all!
do you guys know any good place for alarm installation? well, i know it is 'just an alarm' but...i have to park in usc, downtown in LA and as you know, our evo is easily noticed. ^^
anyone tried radar alarm? i heard that it gives warning when someone get close to the car...hmm...
well, thanks for your input.
ohh!!! also, any shop selling pillar mount gauge holder for evo??

RaysurX
09-09-2003, 09:12 AM
Re: Radar (Proximity Sensor)

I have past experience with interior and exterior proximity sensors and I can tell you that they are tooo gimicky and are VERY prone to false alarms.

Interior sensor was used as a precaution in the event that my glass break mic sensor or shock sensor didn't pick up a window being shattered. If someone reached in.... it would go off. Even with extensive adjustment of the sensitivity.... it still was prone to false alarms when parked under trees... people walking by...

Exterior was used to keep people away...but these types of chirps or verbal warnings can provoke someone to "F" with your car and are MORE troublesome to adjust to be effective.

Remember..... if someone really wants to get into your car they will.

The best safeguard is to make it difficult for the WHOLE car to be taken.

Something to consider:
Mechanical/Electrical deadbolt for the hood. This can work 2 ways. Electrical - If the alarm is triggered... a deadbolt mechanism locks the hood so that the perp can't get under the hood and clip the siren wire and then sit quietly in your car and bypass the ignition kill in the alarm wiring.

Mechanical - same deadbolt idea but its always locked and can only be released via hidden pull switch under the dash.

Downsides?? Electrical - They can fail making your hood area locked up tighter than Fort Knox. Mechanical - cable can fail and you're in the same Fort Knox scenario. For that reason... I suggest a combination of both mechanical and electric if available. Most installers are afraid of these installs because of risk of failure.

Lastly... .if you are installing an alarm and are really paranoid about someone trying to bypass (hotwire) the alarm..... you could ask the installer to reroute/rewire your ignition wiring to different colors and in different locations.... as well as hide the alarm brain somewhere else in the car. This will make it difficult for the perp to cut and re-connect the ingition wiring.

drmosh
09-09-2003, 11:25 AM
I have LoJack on my EVO.

I've been thinking of installing a fuel pump cutoff switch.

kaisho99
09-09-2003, 05:12 PM
can you only get lojack from the dealer? and what's a decent price?

drmosh
09-09-2003, 08:38 PM
can you only get lojack from the dealer? and what's a decent price?

You can buy LoJack directly from them, checkout the website. The dealer tends to give you a better deal, if you've already bought your EVO you could actually go back to the dealer and have them make you a deal and roll it into your payments and stuff...

My LoJack was sort of a special deal, it was thrown in when I bought the car, I think they go for $899 with lifetime warranty and $499 with 10 year or something like that.

LoyalTrojan
12-01-2003, 05:05 PM
I just bought mine 2 days ago. I paid MSRP + $995 (LoJack + Alarm). I am not sure if this is a good deal, can someone please post their experience with LoJack or an alarm from the dealership? Thanks!

markcs
12-01-2003, 07:14 PM
I had my alarm set up by a local company - KARR - located here in Mission Viejo. It was also the alarm installed in my previous car. And it was offered by the dealer where I bought the car.

alex_alex
12-02-2003, 05:02 AM
vroomevo, where are you parkin it at USC? i go there for school too...most places on campus are fairly safe...

Plus, you gotta think for a moment what exactly LoJack would do for you...its not going to immobilize the car, all it will do is allow the cops to find the car after its been stripped...personally id rather have a total loss and a replacement if i were already in that situation

perversity
12-02-2003, 07:02 PM
OK. I can do Lojack for $475. $25 of that goes to socalevo.net. PM me if you are interested.

RyaN316EvoX
07-30-2012, 10:11 PM
bump

jamesinger
07-31-2012, 12:23 AM
Whoa. Definitely necro bump of the year!!
Welcome to SCE lol.

NativeSS
07-31-2012, 01:08 AM
2003 has to be a necro-record

jamesinger
07-31-2012, 12:37 PM

I'll call the trophy shop.

ryan78
08-16-2012, 11:59 AM
IMO, lojack is the way to go instead of any kind of alarms

RaysurX
08-18-2012, 06:59 PM

I'll call the trophy shop.

LOL.

+1 on necro bump.
I retired from the board in 2006 (Evo 8 long since sold - but still missed) and still had email notify enabled. Nice to see SOCALEVO still alive and kickin. "What up! to:" Coolguy, DrMosh, Error, HKSEVO8 and others....

Be safe out there guys.