PDA

View Full Version : Need a new clutch, any suggestions?

pangaroo
10-15-2003, 11:25 PM
Well, the clutch is slipping, and although the District manager isnt any help, the Service Departent has decided to step up to the plate and treat the customer with some respect and care.

The will install an aftermarket clutch for me and cover the labor as long as I supply the clutch. SO.. which clutch do you recomend?

Im still new to the EVO world, butfrom the research I've done, Im looking towards the Clutchmaster or ACT.

I dont plan on dragging the car, but I would like to do some spirited driving and maybe an occasional road course. This is my daily driver, so I dont want anythings extreme, just something that will last.

I hear good things about ACT in general, but it seems that their setup runs the stock clutch plate. Is this worth it?

Clutchmasters, I have no experience with, and nor does anyone I know personally.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Coolguy949
10-16-2003, 06:48 AM
It's all about price too. I think the ACT is under 500 while the other brands are closer to 900 and 1000.

I also now have the Exedy single plate clutch available for the EVO 8. It retails for 1190 but I'll sell it to you for$ 1029 if you're interested in that.

Rob

leaveit2bevo
10-16-2003, 09:46 AM
I heard the exedy twin plate clutch is pretty streetable.

pangaroo
10-16-2003, 01:57 PM
Hey rob.. whats your price on the ACT with the Heavy Duty Clutch not the stock one. And how long would it take to get it here?

Lastly, can you get the SS Clutch line as well?

BOVBILLY
10-16-2003, 02:52 PM
Hey Rob,

How much does it cost for the installation of any clutch?

drmosh
10-16-2003, 05:49 PM
With a heavy duty clutch I don't think the SS clutch line is going to do much at all.

I personally would go for the Clutchmasters for price and if I wanted performance and sheer unbreakability I would get an Exedy Twin...

Coolguy949
10-16-2003, 06:46 PM
Henry and Billy,

I'll get you guys those prices first thing tomorrow morning. I just got back from school and the shop is closed.

Rob

BOVBILLY
10-17-2003, 07:36 AM
Thanks rob for posting!

han74j
10-17-2003, 05:00 PM
when i was installing some stuff at the dealer..... yeah i know... anywayz i was talking to the mech there, the guy was telling me to becareful when i shift and blah blah blah. and then he told me the other day they had to replace one of the evos clutch cause i think they told there was 77 evos in CA or us forgot which one that burn out their clutch already. yeah and he was saying that that clutch is one of the hardest clutchs he had ever replaced...... so im sure its not going to be cheap and i would go to a real professional for the install.

gt40
11-11-2003, 01:43 AM
One suggestion: RPS... they have an awesome one with ceramic sentered metal hybrid 5 puck and it is light pedal like stock but rated double stock in torque.

Awesome since i put mine in. I am running 400 hp at the wheels and it grabs like a junk yard dog yet is easy to drive. a touch of chatter if you don't give enough torque but bulletproof and you don't need arnold leg to drive...

MrBubbler
11-11-2003, 12:18 PM
another to look at is cusco twin carbon disk , its around 1600 but its the cheapest carbon disk clutch you will find as far as price! this clutch can stand up too i think it is 650whp and since it has carbon disks it will last alot longer !

EvolOne
11-11-2003, 05:56 PM
Rumor has it that at a stop, if clutch is disengaged, the multidisk clutch ssounds like you've got a major tranny problem. Just annoying, althought strong. That's what I heard.

MrBubbler
11-11-2003, 06:52 PM
the price you have to pay for a strong and long lasting clutch i guess....im ordering mine tomorrow haha. ive also heard that the exedy twin disk barely makes a noticable sound so maybe its not that loud ?

Coolguy949
11-11-2003, 07:00 PM
Which one are you going with Adam....I may be able to get you a better price...

EvolOne
11-11-2003, 08:40 PM
the price you have to pay for a strong and long lasting clutch i guess....im ordering mine tomorrow haha. ive also heard that the exedy twin disk barely makes a noticable sound so maybe its not that loud ?

Would someone with the Exedy clutch pack installed record and post a sound clip inside the cabin of it declutched at a stop?

I'd like to hear it myself.

I should do the same with my AVO. Clips inside cabin at startup, idle, acceleration. CAn and will do.

r2

Chris in SD
11-11-2003, 08:41 PM
I'm going with the Cusco carbon/carbon, too...

JWest
11-24-2003, 01:41 PM
Just helped a friend change the clutch on his EVO Friday. Guess the guy that owned it before him fried the stocker, then put in a Clutch Masters and fried it, before deciding he needed a truck. Anyway, Yes changing clutches on EVOs really SUX!

One thing to think about WHEN replacing your EVO clutch. MITSUBISHI made the clutch on the car to be the weakest link, why? because changing clutches is a LOT cheaper for YOU (and them) than replacing trannies:-)

JW

drwn kix
01-06-2004, 10:24 PM
I am getting the 5th gear synchros replaced on warantee next week. Car is coming up on 9000 miles. Should I replace the stock clutch while the labor is super cheap and if so, and the dealer is happy with aftermarket, what should I put in? This is contengent on the dealer not going ballistic over the warrantee. :? I am definately not a racer but I get on it a little every day. I have no signs of a clutch problem at this time.

Temjin
01-07-2004, 12:32 AM
Well, the clutch is slipping, and although the District manager isnt any help, the Service Departent has decided to step up to the plate and treat the customer with some respect and care.

The will install an aftermarket clutch for me and cover the labor as long as I supply the clutch. SO.. which clutch do you recomend?

Im still new to the EVO world, butfrom the research I've done, Im looking towards the Clutchmaster or ACT.

I dont plan on dragging the car, but I would like to do some spirited driving and maybe an occasional road course. This is my daily driver, so I dont want anythings extreme, just something that will last.

I hear good things about ACT in general, but it seems that their setup runs the stock clutch plate. Is this worth it?

Clutchmasters, I have no experience with, and nor does anyone I know personally.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Did you replace it with the ACT clutch. How does it compare to the stock evo clutch?

ItsStockOfficer
01-07-2004, 12:41 AM
Just helped a friend change the clutch on his EVO Friday. Guess the guy that owned it before him fried the stocker, then put in a Clutch Masters and fried it, before deciding he needed a truck. Anyway, Yes changing clutches on EVOs really SUX!

One thing to think about WHEN replacing your EVO clutch. MITSUBISHI made the clutch on the car to be the weakest link, why? because changing clutches is a LOT cheaper for YOU (and them) than replacing trannies:-)

JW

In every country but the US they come with a clutch as heavy as the ACT unit from the factory. They tried to make it appeal to fat slobbish Americans

pangaroo
01-07-2004, 11:07 AM
I havent had enough time on the clutch nor have I driven a car with a aftermarket clutch for any long period of time, so I cant compare with other aftermarkets.

COmpared to stock though.. the pedal pressure is much harder, not enough that its painful, but enough that it got annoying in traffic. After a 2 weeks though, it feels normal now.

As for engagement, it seems better than stock from what i can remember, but i already kinda forgot how the stock one feels. I dont feel the clutch slipping at all though, once it engages, it grabs.

Hope that helps.

pangaroo
01-07-2004, 11:11 AM
FYI,

Cost was 530 for the clutch(heavy duty version), pressure plate, throw out bearings. I also changed the line to stainless steel as well.

Purchased from Road Race Engineering. If you buy the lightened flywheel, you get 75 bucks off when purchased together. I didnt go that route to avoid any chatter from the flywheel.

drwn kix
01-09-2004, 03:27 PM
Which one are you going with Adam....I may be able to get you a better price...
Help. The trans comes out next week. I have had no clutch problems but at 9k miles I want to replace the stocker with something better but not too expensive. What is immediately available and how much? Is ACT a good one?

izzy
01-10-2004, 07:05 PM
Pangaroo,

Did Miller end up doing the install for you? If so, were you happy with the service? What did they charge?... TIA.