PDA

View Full Version : Got a ticket for intake!

IS2000
10-20-2003, 03:09 AM
Well, this is my 1st ticket in years :( I pulled off an exit in City of Industry, and the cops were waiting there for modded cars. I got pulled over for modified exhaust, but got away with that. He told me to pop the hood and saw the HKS RS kit which has no certificate for being street legal. Now I'm required to get an emission check by state referee. :x The question is, should I take my high-flow cat out as well? The cat looks very stock-like, but I'm afraid it won't pass the test.
Thanks.

BOVBILLY
10-20-2003, 08:40 AM
mark, I have no idea about the cat at all. The same thing happen to me this weekend too. I got pulled over and had to pop my hood. I have the AEM but the cop didn't bust me.

You still want to trade or not?

Coolguy949
10-20-2003, 09:13 AM
Mark,

Sorry about that! I've been hearing lately that CHP is really cracking down on mods. I've been taking it easy around the streets now because I dont need another ticket.

Take off the HF cat! If they throw the book at you for it you're looking at a $5000 dollar fine. Use that money and buy a 3037S kit from me. :)

BOVBILLY
10-20-2003, 09:16 AM
lol @ rob......

Guru_Del
10-20-2003, 09:25 AM
i have heard that if the cop asks you to pop your hood you dont have to, I believe it is a reasonable cause type thing.

As for the high flow, take it off!!!!!!!! you will get screwed for tampering with emissions devices, it is illegal in the state of california to modify, remove or replace a stock catalytic converter unless it is defective, destroyed or fails. This is within the first 5 years of the cars life (as far as I know).

If you do change it there are strict paperwork that must support the reason for the replacement.

BOVBILLY
10-20-2003, 09:36 AM
Guru,

The cops can't pop your hood but the CHP can pop your hood. Usually if you get pulled over and a cop does ask and you decline, they will call the CHP, and they can legally do it

Guru_Del
10-20-2003, 09:51 AM
if that is true i would still make em go through the motions of calling in the CHP. Also I thought CHP only had jurisdiction on the Highwal. If you are a pubic street I thought only cops could touch you.

Any more details? I need to get brushed up on this subject just incase.

BOVBILLY
10-20-2003, 10:04 AM
That is what I was told by a few people Vince. I have a couple COP relatives, that I will ask. I will let you know!

leaveit2bevo
10-20-2003, 10:09 AM
if that is true i would still make em go through the motions of calling in the CHP. Also I thought CHP only had jurisdiction on the Highwal. If you are a pubic street I thought only cops could touch you.

That will really piss them off, and you will for sure get a ticket.

BOVBILLY
10-20-2003, 10:25 AM
I agree!

Guru_Del
10-20-2003, 01:57 PM

That will really piss them off, and you will for sure get a ticket.

yeah but if you KNOW you got something under there that they will get pissy about might as well make them do their job to the fullest.

I mean if they want to look they probably are going to write you up for whatever they find.

But i do agree with you that it is a sure fire way to piss em off.

BOVBILLY
10-20-2003, 02:00 PM
Is a VTA BOV illegal to have?

Guru_Del
10-20-2003, 02:05 PM
Is a VTA BOV illegal to have?

i believe yes sense it lets air out of the car that hasnt passed through your catalytic converts.

BOVBILLY
10-20-2003, 02:16 PM
I see. I thought it could be illegal do to the noise too. Any know!

D
10-20-2003, 04:44 PM
CHP has jurisdiction on all roads as of a few years ago.

Any mod you make that does not have a C.A.R.B. approval or certification number then you can pretty much count on getting nailed for it.

ReHeat
10-20-2003, 04:56 PM
I did some research and found a list on CHP's website http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/streetlegal.html

CACalomino
10-20-2003, 05:45 PM
Here is how u deal with these fucks from my HONDA days and going to ref about a dozen times errrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

When a CHP pulls u over for nothing I mean nothing like just profiling u just act cool and when he says to pop the hood u say NO!!!!!!!!!!. When he says u must u ask him why are u poping my hood and when he says looking for emissions modifications etc u tell them what did u pull me over for. When they say like some BS like exhaust u tell them that does not give u proable cause to search my veichle also say I was not racing so u are just profiling my car witch is a violation. If they still insist on poping yoru hood tell them with out a search warrant u will file for unlawful search of my vechicle and will fill out a full report etc.

As soon as u know what the hell your talking about they back off real fast most times and just waste your time and let u go.

AS FOR EXHAUST violations u can get around that as well. I use my old sticker off my greddy exhaust and show the cops and it works like a charm cause it has CHP code on it hehhehe. Also when they say its a emissions violation u tell them anything after the cat is fair game. Prob is there is a 95DB limit in CA so tell them it does not go over that. When they say it does exceed 95 db ask them to see the equipment they used to do that. HEHHHEH they dont have it so there for its a BS ticket

The KEy is to beat them at there own game think one step ahead at all times and u will most times get out cause they see they cant fuck with u and u will be a pain in the ass in court etc and potentialy will cause them discrase infront of a judge and they dont want that BS in there lives so they just say get out of here etc.

Best advise I can give

CHRIS

D
10-20-2003, 10:04 PM
Alotta that mighta worked prior to Homeland Security - there really doesn't need ta be much PC anymore (in my experience anyway).

Seems like they can pretty well do what they feel they need to.

Givin them a buncha crap aint gonna help much though.

Guru_Del
10-20-2003, 11:17 PM
as for the 95 db rule there is now test equipment. what a cop can do and on his own discretion is send you to a referee.

the test is conducted at a 45 degree angle from your exhaust ( as looking at your car from above). 20 inches away and a minimum of 8 inches from the ground.

they also run your car in neutral at 75% of the rpm's that your car makes max horsepower from the factory. This reading must be less than 96.5 (the law is 95 but they allow a small fudge factor)

I will post the vehicle code tomorrow when i get my papers from the car.

BOVBILLY
10-21-2003, 08:40 AM
Damn, thanks for the info!

IS2000
10-21-2003, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the info!
RMR is switching everything (except the DP...maybe) back to stock tomorrow, and I'll get it smog checked on Thursday. However, the exhaust and 3" cat will be back on the car this Friday. :twisted:

edit: Anyways, do you guys think I should take my DP off as well? RMR claimed their exhaust + DP measured at 92Db.

Guru_Del
10-21-2003, 02:28 PM
no problem, i just learned this last night at my automatic transmission class i am taking.

Anyways i would remove anything that isnt CARB certified, and effects emissions. The refs' tend to look for anything to fail you, they have photos of the engine compartment to reference against so they know what stock is. now i dont know about the evo's cats or anythings so i dont know if the dp removes a cat, if not i say leave it. if it does remove a cat, then put back on stock and go test.

Here is the really shitty part about this. Once you get it tested, you will get a sheet of paper that says so, you now have to go the the court house and present it there, pay your $10 fix it, and they take the paper from you.

Lets say you get pulled over by a different cop that night, guess what? you get to do this all over again.

Luckily right now they are not charging for the exhaust test but they will in the future.

Hope this helps and from what i have heard the test stations are doing roughly 5 or so of these a DAY!!!! so that means the cops are looking for it.

Coolguy949
10-21-2003, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the info!
RMR is switching everything (except the DP...maybe) back to stock tomorrow, and I'll get it smog checked on Thursday.

How much they charging you??

IS2000
10-21-2003, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the info!
RMR is switching everything (except the DP...maybe) back to stock tomorrow, and I'll get it smog checked on Thursday.

How much they charging you??

$65/ hour.

Chris in SD
10-22-2003, 07:14 PM
I just read all the CHP and CARB stuff. Bottom line - they won't do an exhaust dB test - it is up to the officer's discretion. I don't think being argumentative would help. You'd be better off being as articulate as possible to convince them you are some street-racing punk-ass. As for RMR's exhaust level, I have personally witnessed Rhys Millen testing the exhaust and it is less than 95 dB. If I remember, at WOT the reading was 93 dB. Not many of us drive around at WOT...

I would definitely not change the cat (one of the reasons I still have the stock one). Mark - when you go to RMR ask them to get CARB-certified. I bet a lot of their parts are carried over from Stillen and some of Stillen's stuff is CARB-certified. If their parts ARE certified, ask them to put a page on their website with their EO exemption numbers.

Good luck guys. Keep me informed how some of these instances turn out.

Chris

Guru_Del
10-22-2003, 09:33 PM
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php

you can search for parts and exemptions on that.

The new bill allows for db tests and it can now go to the referee's.

EvolOne
10-22-2003, 11:02 PM
So what's the word for a mod-hungry evoman? Is a down pipe gonna screw things up if EPA tested? There's no cat in an evo DP is there? And if not...wouldn't it pass?

BOVBILLY
10-23-2003, 07:24 AM
There is a CAT in an EVO DP. I know Supra's DP has no cat, but ours does!

Ricardon
10-23-2003, 07:55 AM
on this topic...I say lick the cops ass everytime you get pulled over. I hate the fucking nazi childmolesters, but if you have a good attitude with them, they may just make a few comments and ket you go. I got pulled over a couple days before my suspension for no front plate, and I was cool with him, and he was cool right back to me. He asked me why i didn't have it on, I didn't BS him, I told him I don't like the way it looks...he asked me to pop my hood...we spend the next 10 minutes bullshitting about the EVO, and he lets me go. Didnt even write me for the plate. the point is that if your'e a dick to the cop, he might just be one of the cool ones and fuck it up. Be honest with them, they aren't used to it, and theyll hook you up.

BOVBILLY
10-23-2003, 08:03 AM
I agree 110% all the way!

IS2000
10-23-2003, 01:31 PM
on this topic...I say lick the cops ass everytime you get pulled over. I hate the fucking nazi childmolesters, but if you have a good attitude with them, they may just make a few comments and ket you go. I got pulled over a couple days before my suspension for no front plate, and I was cool with him, and he was cool right back to me. He asked me why i didn't have it on, I didn't BS him, I told him I don't like the way it looks...he asked me to pop my hood...we spend the next 10 minutes bullshitting about the EVO, and he lets me go. Didnt even write me for the plate. the point is that if your'e a dick to the cop, he might just be one of the cool ones and fuck it up. Be honest with them, they aren't used to it, and theyll hook you up.

Well, the cop was really cool with me and was about to let me go until his Asian buddy came up. The dude told me to pop my hood, and was checking for stuff. The first cop didn't see my intake because I left the top cover of my OE airbox on there, but his buddy ripped it apart and broke the 2 plastic bolts. He found the the cone filter then proceeded to write a ticket for me. I bet this f*cker drives a riced out integra when he's off-duty. :evil:

EvolOne
10-23-2003, 07:10 PM

Well, the cop was really cool with me and was about to let me go until his Asian buddy came up. The dude told me to pop my hood, and was checking for stuff. The first cop didn't see my intake because I left the top cover of my OE airbox on there, but his buddy ripped it apart and broke the 2 plastic bolts. He found the the cone filter then proceeded to write a ticket for me. I bet this f*cker drives a riced out integra when he's off-duty. :evil:

Ahem, I know it isn't cool to be OK with cops...but not more than a few weeks ago, I was radared by a CHP. He waved me over, and told me I was going 8somthingmph. I confess, I wasn't driving an evo. I was in a government vehicle. And said man continued to write up the motorcyclist he was working on, and he comes back to me and says..."Rob2, the County of Xyz would likely not take well to its employee being ticketed for 8somthing mph....Chill out, man. Slow down."

So I can't really say that I dislike the dude. He gave me a second chance to screw up....

Respect and courtesy. It can do no harm. Be postive and friendly. They like hot cars, not reckless driving.

Rob2

Chris in SD
10-23-2003, 07:14 PM
Exactly - respect begets respect. This is exactly why I feel for Mark (IS2000). He is one of the nicest, well-spoken and non-punkass guys I know. For him to get the shaft just proves that you can never predict what's going to happen with the police. I guess it's time to start printing some high-quality CARB EO stickers... huh, Rob? Anyone? :twisted:

EvolOne
10-23-2003, 07:18 PM
87 mph

Now, that's one cool cop. I appreciated his kindness.

It's hard to adapt to having a passport then driving without.

leaveit2bevo
10-23-2003, 07:30 PM
Exactly - respect begets respect. This is exactly why I feel for Mark (IS2000). He is one of the nicest, well-spoken and non-punkass guys I know. For him to get the shaft just proves that you can never predict what's going to happen with the police. I guess it's time to start printing some high-quality CARB EO stickers... huh, Rob? Anyone? :twisted:

Ya I agree, maybe we can print some $10s and $20s to?

Chris in SD
10-23-2003, 07:36 PM
Shhh - don't tell anyone... :roll:

IS2000
10-23-2003, 08:20 PM
Well guys, I just got back from the referee station and passed the test. I'm gonna have to get my exhaust back A.S.A.P. I really missed the kind of power my car is putting down with the exhaust and Works P2.

EvolOne
10-23-2003, 10:03 PM
You mention the Works P2. I've scanned their info, and am wondering how many are using their ECU reflash and boost hose.

I hear some say total ECU replacement is needed. Others like Works swear by reflash of stock ECU. Others favor piggyback, a minority, I'll give you.

Maybe I'll set up a survey for favorite exhaust system and Yes next topic Best Tires for handling, light wetness, and with good durability.

A Poll of favorite tires would be helpful, wondering what has been heard about the AVS Es100, yokohamas

Ricardon
10-23-2003, 10:14 PM
nice. Mark, good to hear you passed. Just out of curiosity, you said that the cop ripped open the stock box, and broke it? Did I read that right? If that was the case, you should have talked SUPER MAD SHIT to him. Like I said before, I am a proponent of being courtious to officers whenever possible, but if a fucking PIG breaks something on my car he will get an absolute earfull of "reparations" speak. So much so, that he might even want to call it a wash. Sure, write me a ticket asshole, you had to break shit just to test your theory?? Uh, destruction of property anyone?? Mark, I'm glad it wasn't me...I would have LOST IT. I'm the worst kinda anal when it comes to my car, and I'll be god damned if Erik Estrada so much as breaks one of the tie wraps that hold my ground cables to the strut bar!!!

Coolguy949
10-24-2003, 08:57 AM
Haha, I guess I'm not the only one that was getting fired up while reading Mark's post. I cant beleive he actually broke the clips!!! Those clips are hard to get too, and they aren't cheap! The problem is that some cops are on a pedastol (sp?) and they think they can do whatver they want cause the drive the black and white.

We need Chris to get his but over here to the LAPD so he can give a "pep talk" to this guy in the locker room. :) Or was it CHP?

Chris in SD
10-24-2003, 09:41 AM
Never the CHP - I am not that much of a dick...

Ricardon
10-24-2003, 10:19 AM
Never the CHP - I am not that much of a dick...

well......ummmmmmm.... :bs: HAHA I love you chris, check's in the mail and I'm this close to getting that CF--gotta rob a couple liquor stores first bro!!

perversity
11-03-2003, 11:53 AM
Mark, if you want replacement clips I suggest you go to the next auto show and procure them from the Mistu show evo. The one at Anahiem was missing the plasic clips when I looked. Perhaps you beat me to it? Glad to hear you got through the test tho...

SuPaNooK
11-09-2003, 04:47 AM
i agree...they shouldnt have broken anyhting in your car....
they can point lick touch look laugh yell at anything...but under no circumstances are they allowed to break ANYTHING to prove something...
you can prob sue them for that...get some $$$ and get the HKS upgarde :D

EVO Neil
11-09-2003, 10:04 AM
Mark, if you want replacement clips I suggest you go to the next auto show and procure them from the Mistu show evo. The one at Anahiem was missing the plasic clips when I looked. Perhaps you beat me to it? Glad to hear you got through the test tho...

Nice, real freakinn' adult of you! Since the cop broke yours, steal them from another EVO that's not yours. That makes perfect sense. Oh and by the way it is not only not your EVO, it's not Mitsubishis either since those show vehicles are borrowed from a dealer and waiting to be sold to a fellow EVO owner. So all you are really doing is stealing from a guy or gal that will probably be joining this group. Yeah, welcome to the group, I've already stolen from your car! Nice, freakin' punk. GROW UP!

Coolguy949
11-09-2003, 10:50 AM
Mark, I have a stock of mitsu parts at home (oil filters, clips, etc) that I keep incase I or a friend needs something quick. I have an extra one of those clips if you need it. The dealer doesnt sell that clip anymore, they replaced them with the philips ones. You know, the ones under the car that clip the bumper together. The ones that you push down in the middle have been discountinued. The new ones are about $2.65 each. I have one extra one left of the old one if you want it next time we meet.

perversity
11-09-2003, 01:00 PM
Hey, Evo Neil, if you knew me you would know damn well that I was joking. You know, I am sure you are familiar with the concept, making light of a serious situation to provide some comic relief.

I was actually just pointing out the irony that those clips got stolen from the auto show.

IS2000 knows me, it was directed at him, and he knows in what vein it was meant.

Lighten the f**k up man!

Vanilla Sky
11-09-2003, 02:42 PM
anyone just want to make up some stickers for intakes... cops wouldnt know the difference would they??

leaveit2bevo
11-10-2003, 02:36 AM

Nice, real freakinn' adult of you! Since the cop broke yours, steal them from another EVO that's not yours. That makes perfect sense. Oh and by the way it is not only not your EVO, it's not Mitsubishis either since those show vehicles are borrowed from a dealer and waiting to be sold to a fellow EVO owner. So all you are really doing is stealing from a guy or gal that will probably be joining this group. Yeah, welcome to the group, I've already stolen from your car! Nice, freakin' punk. GROW UP!

Man calm your bitch ass down, your a punk. Im glad people know how to take a joke, your obviously one of those up tight assholes who cant have fun.

drmosh
11-10-2003, 07:36 AM

Hahahha... if you had READ the whole thread you would've realized that IS2000 didn't need those clips anymore and perversity was just joking because IS2000 has an intake system and only has it on to camoflauge the intake system.

Next time I suggest reading the entire thread before going nuts.

:lol:

EVO Neil
11-10-2003, 10:37 AM
Hey, Evo Neil, if you knew me you would know damn well that I was joking. You know, I am sure you are familiar with the concept, making light of a serious situation to provide some comic relief.

I was actually just pointing out the irony that those clips got stolen from the auto show.

IS2000 knows me, it was directed at him, and he knows in what vein it was meant.

Lighten the f**k up man!

Ok, my apologies to "perversity" and others. I a) didn't understand he was joking and b) didn't read the thread thoroughly enough. Again, my humble apologies... :oops:

perversity
11-10-2003, 10:42 AM
Ok Evo Neil,

Apology gratefully accepted. You can buy me lunch at the next socalevo meet :P

EVO Neil
11-10-2003, 10:49 AM
It must have been my bad twin - EVIL Neil :shock:

Coolguy949
11-10-2003, 10:51 AM
Hah, you guys crack me up!

BTW, Tony....got your emails on the tech articles. I'll try to get those posted ASAP. Until I'm able to add them to the new website section, i'm going to post them in the tech help section.

Rob

D
11-14-2003, 08:51 PM
Fake CARB stickers wil get you in a heap O trouble if the vehicle winds up goin to an inspection station - then they'll nail ya twice.