PDA

View Full Version : Best Upgrades for the money etc...

xxfairenoughxx
10-20-2003, 08:22 PM
What mods have you found that are the best? Which cominations do you have or have you tried? Which companies have better/worse quality? How about those companies warranties? Is an aftermarket turbo better or just leave it stock and play with the intake/exhaust with a modified ecu/piggyback system to mess with the a/f ratio? Lets get some feedback on mods.

BOVBILLY
10-21-2003, 08:54 AM
I just had installed the HKS DP. Not to expensive and noticeable difference for sure!

THANKS ROB

IS2000
10-21-2003, 02:16 PM
I'd say an ecu flash is the best mod so far that I installed. My car has a TB with 3" cat, HKS RS intake, and Works P2 flash. The turbo kicks in around 1800 rpm and pulls like a big V8 all the way to the redline (which is now at 7850rpm). The other day I smoked a 04' WRX from 60-110 mph without leaving 5th gear.

xxfairenoughxx
10-22-2003, 10:52 AM
Damn that's pretty friggin' sweet. Can we get some other people chiming in here. What upgrades did you put on and how did the car feel after? Did you get something that was screwed up somehow and you have to call the company? If so were they cool or did they suck balls? I don't really care I just want to get a conversation going.

evilevo13
10-22-2003, 04:53 PM
I installed my AEM intake and B&B exhaust at the same time and I have to say both these mods where well spent money and time installing. My car pulls so much harder at higher RPM, and the sound is great.

leaveit2bevo
10-22-2003, 05:04 PM
aem ems is coming out soon which will rock.

EvolOne
10-23-2003, 11:04 PM
I installed my AEM intake and B&B exhaust at the same time and I have to say both these mods where well spent money and time installing. My car pulls so much harder at higher RPM, and the sound is great.

Hey Evil,

The B&B Sound clip on Vivid Racing is great, idling, going away WFO, coming at you.

There are comments about how the welds are bad -- as in ugly or poor? -- and the fit and durability.

What's your opinion? Why didn't you go with RMR or HKS or whatever the fug is out there?

I'm really tired of looking and want a good fit, a excellent product and am willing to pay big bucks for it. Even for an AVO.

Whatcha think?

gt40
10-24-2003, 11:05 PM
I would say racing school is by far the best upgrade...

I have a gt40 garrett, custom manifold, avo intercooler, walbro fuel pump upgrade, borla 3" exhaust, custom 3" downpipe(for the gt40)custom lower brace progress rear sway, mbc, intake.

2 days at skip barber racing school in a shifter cart or bondurant etc. will make more difference than spending 10k on mods as i have that are mentioned above. Learn your awesome car first! then poor(thats how you will be after you finish!) on the mods.... my 2 cents.

Mark

Ricardon
10-25-2003, 01:42 AM

I have a gt40 garrett, custom manifold, avo intercooler, walbro fuel pump upgrade, borla 3" exhaust, custom 3" downpipe(for the gt40)custom lower brace progress rear sway, mbc, intake.

2 days at skip barber racing school in a shifter cart or bondurant etc. will make more difference than spending 10k on mods as i have that are mentioned above. Learn your awesome car first! then poor(thats how you will be after you finish!) on the mods.... my 2 cents.

Mark

Yeah, I'd second that call 8 days a week!! My planned upgrade path is a little different than most. I'm going handling/braking first. The car is way too fast for most in it's stock form, I want a rail. Now when the AEM EMS hits shelves that plan will go out the window I'm sure so who knows. I'd have to say that the EMS (or maybe an RPS clutch) will be the single best mod that I will do to my car. Right now, the best/most effective is my seat and harness...need 'em to fit properly in the car when I'm wearing my helmet at the track (which is 90% the reason I bought an EVO)

drmosh
10-25-2003, 07:45 PM
The EMS will be boss because you can remove the MAF...

TurboEvo
10-25-2003, 07:49 PM
The new Apexi Power FC D-Jetro will also remove the MAF on the Lancer. Both the EMS from AEM and Apexi Power FC are great unit. I have used the Power FC on my SR power 240SX and work perfectly.

drmosh
10-25-2003, 09:28 PM
Isn't the Power FC a piggyback though?

leaveit2bevo
10-26-2003, 01:10 AM
Once you get the MAF out say hello to VTA BOV!!!!!!!!

Coolguy949
10-26-2003, 02:39 AM
Power FC is just like the EMS. You can totally get rid of the MAF too, so cops will love you more cause your car smells pretty. :) Add on a race pipe and you'll really attract the ladies... haha

Ricardon
10-26-2003, 02:43 AM
sniff, sniff, is that unburnt 100 octane i smell?? Yes officer, why don't you have a closer look at the exhaust tip while I rev the engine!!!!! Krispy Kreme will mean something totally different from then on.

TurboEvo
10-27-2003, 02:32 AM
The Power FC is a full ECU replacement. Not sure if Apexi USA change the setting on the Power FC for the EVO here in the US. The octane rating in Japan and US are different so I assume Apexi USA probably did some changes to make the US EVO run smoother.

xxfairenoughxx
10-29-2003, 03:29 PM
What are the advantages to taking off the MAF? Does that mean you can run VTA BOV without worrying about the whole engine correction thing so that your car runs lean? Sorry I only know a little about cars.

leaveit2bevo
10-29-2003, 03:42 PM
Yea when you take the MAF off you can run VTA BOV without problems, and get a turboxs rfl so people know your ass is coming. I think any kind of fuel managment will let you run VTA with the MAF still on not sure though.

SuPaNooK
11-07-2003, 12:54 PM
what does a P2 reflash do?>

CACalomino
11-07-2003, 01:30 PM

I agree on that one :!:

BOVBILLY
11-07-2003, 01:49 PM
If you want some pure power, go for the PW4000-112.

http://www.pratt-whitney.com/images/pw4000_112.jpg

THIS WILL SMOKE EVERYONE!

EvolOne
11-07-2003, 11:31 PM
Is that a GT 4meg?

cas909
01-19-2004, 02:39 PM
sorry but what is a vta bov? my car is at XS right now getting the apex-i power fc and a few goodies added on. cant wait to get it back :skid:

Absinthe
01-19-2004, 04:34 PM

Mark

Yeah, I'd second that call 8 days a week!! My planned upgrade path is a little different than most. I'm going handling/braking first. The car is way too fast for most in it's stock form, I want a rail. Now when the AEM EMS hits shelves that plan will go out the window I'm sure so who knows. I'd have to say that the EMS (or maybe an RPS clutch) will be the single best mod that I will do to my car. Right now, the best/most effective is my seat and harness...need 'em to fit properly in the car when I'm wearing my helmet at the track (which is 90% the reason I bought an EVO)

I can vouch for this I went to the track this weekend with the EVO going in I suspected I would want: TB exhaust, P2, rear sway bar and strut bar, brake pads, fluid, K&N, short shift, harnesses.

I bought the harness belts and went to the track now all i want are grabbier pads and fluid this car is so much better than what I had hoped for on the track I managed to run with and pass instructors (in inferior cars) in the open session at the end of the day.

Absinthe
01-19-2004, 04:35 PM
VTA

Vent To Atmospher

edit sp

robi
01-19-2004, 09:19 PM
I think this is a $/mod question? If you want about 370HP + 370 FtLb's TQ for less than 4K talk to the boys at Buschur (all straight easy bolt ons ... well the cams you may want to have Road Race Eng install add About $175.00) These make the EVO unbelievably fast.

Absinthe
01-20-2004, 11:44 AM
we should have a definative newbie mod thread and make it sticky.