PDA

View Full Version : Best Tires

EvolOne
10-23-2003, 10:07 PM
What are your favorite tires for handling in wet & dry, minimal noise, and decent (??) durability?

leaveit2bevo
10-24-2003, 01:13 PM
Rich has the pilot sport cups I think there the best handling tire for the evo not sure though he'll have to post pis opinons.

drmosh
10-24-2003, 04:28 PM
Rich has the pilot sport cups I think there the best handling tire for the evo not sure though he'll have to post pis opinons.

Based on what?? Those are R compound tires. So they will outperform most street tires, but if you compare apples to apples it's a different story and you can't blanketly say those are the best handling tire.

Then if you compare R compound tires you have the next level which are race slicks.

"BEST" tire is a misnomer and it depends on what you want to do with the tire... race/track, auto-x, drag, rain, or overall??

While some Yokohama ADVAN slicks may work incredible on dry track would you use them on a rainy day? HELL NO!

Ricardon
10-24-2003, 05:11 PM
Yeah the michelins seem to be working great. I just got my license back today, so I was planning on going up to latigo to test some things. Unfortunately I got my license suspended right after the purchase of the pilot sport cups, and the pressures/alignment were not right during the time I drove it. I've got the pressures dialed in now from trial and error, and the camber is set up right, so I'll let you know. I can say this however, that even though the pressures were not yet ideal, they destroy the stock advans, but youd expect that from an R compound. Currently I am running P225/45 17" and I will be importing two sets from Japan...P235/45 17" for the stock wheels and P245/40 18" for the volks. Wet traction? riiiiiiiiight. I have seen people cut grooves into the tread on these, and amazingly it works very well. Even so, they still probably wouldn't evacuate as much water as the Advan A032R, but the A032R's aren't the greatest for dry traction. There's always a trade off. These tires are very noisy, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest, some people may not like it though. Just today, I took a right hander pretty hard, and there was a lot of bumps and it felt like I had two boulders hit the underside of te car. It was the tires...concrete hard sidewalls. If you can handle that stuff, and next to nothing in wet traction without cutting grooves in the tread, get them. If you don't plan on going to the canyons ALL THE TIME, I say stick with something cheaper, and a little less agressive. Shortly I'm gonna swap on a new pair of Azenis Sports (New compound, built more for the japanese endurance racing) 245/45. They are awesome, but I have not driven them HARD or at the track yet, so...From what I can tell, the new Azenis sports will be the best replacement tire for the EVO, but until I get them on the track (11/8, 11/9 and 11/11!!!!!!) I won't know. Just a little info!

EvolOne
10-24-2003, 05:30 PM
I was asking about a multipurpose tire, one that is good in canyons, can handle the rare wet event without scary things happening, has reasonable tread life -- I should specify a wear rating, but that doesn't really help, cuz hard driving will kill any tire..

Looking for the best all around, and on a 1-10 is..

An 8 for dry twisty
a 7-8 for wet OKnot scary
a 5 for NVH

Ricardon
10-24-2003, 05:32 PM
Oh, and Dino, I agree with what you say about about the misnomer part. My tires would suck at an autocross event. I wouldn't have enough time to get them to heat up. And if I was racing against myself at say SOW, on the stock tires I'd be juuuuuust a little faster on the first lap lap1/2 2 laps, after that my clone would fucking walk me so hard you couldnt imagine it. Thats how good these tires are. He would pass me, then he would pull away very steadily. But yeah, I'd have to say they are the best R compound tire on the market, and that by quite a bit. I've gone through victoracers in two or three events, Ive gone through A032R's quickly and they suck in the dry (very best in the rain though)...RA01's? lets put it this way, I wish all of my competitors used RA01's, nuf said. Hoosier semi's are sweet, but they have the same problem as their full race slick...they are way too soft and they don't last long at all. And of course all this "they suck" lingo is just like saying an NBA player sucks...he really doesn't suck he's actually an awesome player, but compared to the super stars he's nothing. Get it? And yeah, the michelins are the best gripping longest last R compound out there. Hoosiers are a tad faster but you'll be buying a new set every other event, and the PSC's will last anywhere from 30-50 heat cycles (1 heat cycle=1 30 min lapping session, 1 event is generally 4-5 lapping sessions. Do the math) Just my .02...some people may want different tires because the tire breaks a little more progressively at the limit of it's adhesion, the PSC's tend to be a bit snappy, especially when they are warming up or pressures are too high, but I prefer the extra grip and wear characteristics, and hope to have quick hands and feet when they do go hehehehe.

drmosh
10-24-2003, 07:47 PM
That's some good feedback Rich, I wonder how the Toyo RA-1's stack up, they seem to be quite the tire for R's since SCCA World Speed cars use em and just about everyone else runs em for dry tracking...

From what I hear, the Toyo Proxes T1-S are supposed to be great street tires, I think overall the stock Yoko's are holding pretty damn good.

Ricardon
10-25-2003, 02:19 AM
OK, my verdict is in for sure now!! Just got back from running "my favorite canyon". Tested out the new brace and the camber/pressures. Again, I'm running neg 2 degrees all around. Starting cold pressures were 43 front 42 rear. I stopped to check the pressures 3 different times (road names omitted due to my paranoia, those of you who know me know which roads I'm talking about...sorry) First section is an uphill, I push it slightly to get into a rhythm and warm tires/brakes. Next section fairly gnarly downhill, but point and shoot type turns with only a few really high load, slight pucker turns. The tires were gripping well, not perfect, but as I said before they take some time. PSI check #1: surprisingly not a pound of difference...seriously. Second section a very long, VERY fast section (that I took very slow, hey I just got my DL back today!!) that leads up to an uphill that is VERY tight, and has multiple VERY high load turns. PSI check #2: both fronts @ 44 and both rears @43. Wow, I thought the tires are grabbing, when are they gonna start to heat up? Last section is "My favorite road". Those of you that know, know, those of you that don't it's 13 miles of pure insanity...downhill!! Picture a tarmac WRC stage. Loads of off-camber setups, nearly every turn is decreasing radius, with 5 huge positive camber nearly 180 left handers. The tires complaned once (a tiny chirp). Towards the end of the run, got a little careless and forgot that there was a left hand kink COMPLETELY OFF CAMBER, stepped the rear out something super fierce. It let go very, very progressively and was actually very easy to bring it back, a-hole is now full pucker though! Get to the bottom to hand check and pressure check. The tires are warm to the touch...warm (note that the Advans would now be a little too hot to touch at this point). PSI check #3: Fronts @ 46 Rears @ 44. They look exactly the same as when I left, with no evidence of rolling the sidewalls. BTW this was the fastest run I've done. I don't know if this helps anyone else, but I'll be buying these tires for a long, long time. note: max pressure is 51 PSI, and all of the sites I've been on recommend cold pressures around 35, but all info I could find was for Porsche's, which is why I had to mess around with them a little (the tire was designed specifically for the Porsche Cup challenge races). Have fun shopping, I've found my rubber (non-slick that is)!!

EvolOne
10-25-2003, 08:37 AM
What about the goodies wheBFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2n they finally come in 235 45 17? rob2

Ricardon
10-25-2003, 01:56 PM
well, yeah Rob2...hehe I forgot about that. I realy would like to get the "proper" size, or a more ideal size obviously. I meant that I'm a super fan of this particular tire model. I need to have some shipped over from Japan, 'cause the research that I've done shows the sizes are very limited here. They have a ton of sizes that would fit the EVO over in the JDM. Pretty pricey to ship tires over though. We'll see

drmosh
10-25-2003, 07:35 PM
So it's good to hear the tires didn't heat up... so that would mean they were pre-heat cycled from the factory?? Did you order them in specific trim, like pre-shaved and pre-heat cycled?

Chrison
10-27-2003, 08:15 PM
Sup, I have tested my new Dunlop D01J tires on Sunday, it is a JDM spec soft R compound tires.
Well, I still cant tell the difference, because I still dont have the skill to drive the car n the tires. All I can say is the car is faster than me. But from my experience, at least I didnt go understeering with my new D01J, but the stock A046 I did it twice on canyon........ :lol:

Yub, Rich is right, the shipping is kinda pricey, but is worth....

I show u guys my tires on sunday meet.

Hope I can get used to the tires n the car sooner, so Rich u dont have to wait for me for too long next time.

-chrison

Ricardon
10-28-2003, 12:07 AM
HAHA!! Chris those tires are the SHIT dude. I love them!! I wish that I could have gotten mine in the proper EVO size. I can, but they have to come from Japan, or so my current research tells me. I hope I can get the new ones soon because I think that a 235/45 Pilot sport cup would decimate!! Yeah, those Dunlops are soooo sweet, check them out guys! His pressures were nice and consistent, and they didn't heat up very much after the run!

CACalomino
10-28-2003, 12:26 AM
Anybody have any info on the Falken azenis. I used to run them back with my honda and canyon or track days were awsome the grip level is intense. Anybody?

Ricardon
10-28-2003, 01:03 AM
Chris, gt40 has a new set of the new azenis sports (new compound), and they seem to be holding up EXTREMELY well. The past history of the Azenis was that they were great for Auto X'ng and great for canyons, but TERRIBLE in sustained lapping. They just got too hot too fast and literally turned to grease on the racetrack. They were just about the best tire you could get for short runs though because they required hardly any heat to be very sticky. And the price......are you kidding me?? They cost less than some shit 50,000 mile touring tires. We will deffinitely have more imperical data after the track days 11/8 11/9 and 11/11. I'm soooo interested to see and feel how they perform. Supposedly, the new compound is geared more towards the endurance side, so it would seem that they will hold up a bit better. I can't wait, and you can be sure to have a long post from me after the track!

koolmits
10-29-2003, 04:53 PM
Stock tires are best for all around , including dirt , absolutely superb in the rain . Hoosiers for all dry conditions . In S.C. hoosiers are street legal . as are cat-less exhaust . 8)

drmosh
10-29-2003, 05:37 PM
Stock tires are best for all around , including dirt , absolutely superb in the rain . Hoosiers for all dry conditions . In S.C. hoosiers are street legal . as are cat-less exhaust . 8)

Yeah yeah, you dirt farmers :D And I bet registration is like $20.

koolmits
10-29-2003, 06:12 PM
Actually it is considered a " farm " vehicle and is free . But if someone hits my car off the farm , insurance wont cover . So it is registered as a sedan . Lately , I've been deer hunting trying to make a cool " Evo with deer strapped to hood blastin through mud holes as rednecks gawk in amazement " video . Killed 2 bucks recently , but I forgot frickin cameras .

On a separate note , I hope none of those fires are affecting any of you peeps :(

SuPaNooK
11-09-2003, 05:03 PM
S03's are the best all around ithink...

Ricardon
11-09-2003, 11:16 PM
S03's come with mixed reviews. I just got back from the track today...two solid HARD days on SOW (SOW is murder on tires BTW). My michelins held up great, although I put a screw through one, and my pressures were too low, so I was rolling the shit outta the sidewall (temperature kept changing, and some runs were'nt hot enough to build proper pressures). I tell you guys I am in love with these tires as a race tire. I was however even more impressed with the new Falken Azenis Sports that Mark ran. The grip was phenomenal, the wear is absolutely rediculously low...doesn't even look as if they were tracked at all...and they are soooooooooooo cheap!! They give up a little on the grip side to my pilot sport cups, but they should last quite awhile, but at $100/tire who the hell cares how long they last hehehe. Azenis...GREAT TIRE!!!!

CACalomino
11-10-2003, 12:26 AM
yep the Azenis are some of the best tires I have ever used. I had them on my HONDA and beat the shit out of them all the time and they just kept on ticking and the grip level is awsome only complaint I ever had was that weight of them but im not a super duper dragg racer so I dont realy care.

Ricardon
11-10-2003, 12:33 AM
Yeah, they have always been quite heavy...the new compound is even better than the older one though, so they should grip and wear better than the older ones you had on your honda Chris! I don't understand how they make this tire so inexpensive!

IS2000
11-10-2003, 08:11 PM
I wish they made Azenis in 18's...

Coolguy949
11-10-2003, 08:14 PM
Me too. That would have been a perfect tire to match the WORK Emotion CR Kais that i'm getting. I now have to decide if I should get 17" wheels or get the S03's instead for the 18's......or just not get wheels all together and do some big power mods or the TEIN RAs I want. Decisions decisions!

IS2000
11-10-2003, 08:18 PM
I think once my MX's are gone, I might have my friend send me a set of 245/40-18 Advan A048R's. :D

MrBubbler
11-10-2003, 11:53 PM
i wish they made good tires in 19! the tires i bought arent that bad they are actualy really good but just not advans = ( i bought nitto 555nt's overall a good package with good handeling but leaves me alil more sketch then the advans did canyon running, but they havent failed me yet i would have to say good tire replacemnt ofr the advans

MrBubbler
11-10-2003, 11:55 PM

Luck punk! = P i wish cali had those laws ! but i dont think i could stand livin out of the city :cry:

leaveit2bevo
11-11-2003, 12:00 AM
Ya were total smog nazis, and the air I breathe still is shit. How do they get away with emissions in japan, without all this smog shit?

Ricardon
11-11-2003, 01:03 AM
I'm very interested in how the A048's stack up. The A032R's are for shit. They grip well, but fade hard, and are really only good for about 2 track weekends. I guess we could get a little more wear from them by increasing pressures and sacrificing a little grip, along with taking a butt load of weight out of the car hehehe. I hope the A048 is not just a new version of the 32R, I hope they changed the compound to a more durable one. I just got my falken Azenis put on today. I got 245/45 for the stock wheels. I completely maxed out the negative camber (-1.8 up front and -2.0 in the rear), so they should be ideally set up for the track. Of course, I'll have to do another alignment when I get back or I'll wear the crap out of the inside of the tires! I saw what mark's looked like after the weekend...very solid. My driving style is a bit less agressive, I tend to be a little smoother, so we'll see how these tires like me!!

Ricardon
11-22-2003, 05:03 AM
The Azenis held up insanely at the track!! Although I put a bolt through the left rear on the way home from the shop...unbelievable, the tire Gods are very, very pissed off at me. Anyway, the Azenis are freakin great, they stick and wear much much better than the previous version. But, they are no Pilot Sport Cups. I know I'm comparing apples to oranges, but driving anything other than the sport cus will be a haze once you've experienced them!

drmosh
11-22-2003, 12:16 PM
Rich, sometimes I think you should just stop driving, you'd be a millionaire by now.

:lol:

leaveit2bevo
11-23-2003, 02:10 AM
Ya Rich eats up tires like I eat pussy!!!( lol sry Rich I stole that line from you)

IS2000
11-23-2003, 08:28 PM
Last I check with a guy in Japan, the Advan A048 (245/40-18 ) is retailed at $320 a tire. :shock: (and u won't get a big discount on these tires)
The total cost for importing to the US would be $1,500 a set! Now I have to look at the lower Bridgestone RE-01's.

Ricardon
11-23-2003, 09:31 PM
I love this thread!!! Or, I hate this thread, I can't figure out which. Back to the tires. I think it's really one of those deals that you have to spend the money and experiment. Tires are almost like suspension...you'll never figure it out, and when you do the variables change on you. Hot weather, cold weather, rainy weather, blah blah blah...there's a different tire or settings for each situation. Wanna be faster? Shave the tires when you get them. Want them to last longer, raise the pressure and sacrifice a little grip. Of course it seems that each tire has a sweet spot for psi and tempurature, which takes a few sets to figure out completely. And we haven't even begun to talk about vehicle weight or god forbid driving style. I think it's really quite impossible to picj a "BEST TIRE". I'd love to be able to try them all and find out what the best tire for me soecifically is. At the rate I'm going that looks like a possibility LOL! I still remember Mark's reaction when we were in the pits at willow when I told him that I had a bolt in the left rear of the Azenis that had less than 200 miles on them. So, I think I'm in the lead...Advans, BFG KD's, Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, and now Falken Azenis. My take: Street--Azenis hands down. Cheap, sticky, unbelievable wear (so far). Track--Pilot Sport Cups. night and day difference at the track, but they were just getting to the sweet spot when I put a nail in them. Tread was gone but the grooves were very prominent still.

Chrison
11-26-2003, 11:05 AM
Hey IS2000,

See I can hook u up with the A048 under $1500 shipped.....
Cuz I will have a shippment coming from Japan in Jan.

Do u have any messager?

-chrison

Chris in SD
11-26-2003, 01:39 PM
While I can get 94 octane for $1.55/gal, the flip side is that I have to buy winter tires. WEAK! I am buying some Pirelli PZero Nero M+S for the winter here in VA - $600 I could have spent on something fun.

I would replace them with the Advans again, but I am buying 18" Work Emotions in the spring, so I need good (not too heavy) tires. I heard that Michelin is coming out with a Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tire (std. equipment on the Carrera GT) in January. I might try those...

Ricardon
11-27-2003, 03:27 AM
Michelin makes a very solid product Chris! I don't think you will be disappointed at all with that choice. I spent almost a half an hour talking with a Michelin engineer at SEMA...I was lucky that it was very slow. Very good info, and I learned a lot about their philosophy on tire design. Unfortunately most of the info I got was fairly Pilot Sport Cup specific. The whole range is pretty good from what I gather though.

EvolOne
11-27-2003, 01:35 PM
I love this thread!!! Or, I hate this thread, I can't figure out which. Back to the tires. I think it's really one of those deals that you have to spend the money and experiment. Tires are almost like suspension...you'll never figure it out, and when you do the variables change on you. Hot weather, cold weather, rainy weather, blah blah blah...there's a different tire or settings for each situation. Wanna be faster? Shave the tires when you get them. Want them to last longer, raise the pressure and sacrifice a little grip. Of course it seems that each tire has a sweet spot for psi and tempurature, which takes a few sets to figure out completely. And we haven't even begun to talk about vehicle weight or god forbid driving style. I think it's really quite impossible to picj a "BEST TIRE". I'd love to be able to try them all and find out what the best tire for me soecifically is. At the rate I'm going that looks like a possibility LOL! I still remember Mark's reaction when we were in the pits at willow when I told him that I had a bolt in the left rear of the Azenis that had less than 200 miles on them. So, I think I'm in the lead...Advans, BFG KD's, Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, and now Falken Azenis. My take: Street--Azenis hands down. Cheap, sticky, unbelievable wear (so far). Track--Pilot Sport Cups. night and day difference at the track, but they were just getting to the sweet spot when I put a nail in them. Tread was gone but the grooves were very prominent still.

EvolOne will be getting the Falken Azensis...or whatever....R2

leaveit2bevo
11-27-2003, 02:47 PM
nah I want ao48s

Ricardon
11-27-2003, 06:01 PM
waste your money if you want beeeev. get a set of wheels, or get another job before you waste good rubber on the streets. I realize I'm guilty of the same thing, but I could've made those tires last an entire season had I not driven them on the street!

leaveit2bevo
11-27-2003, 07:13 PM
This is true Rich want to hire me???? and not for backally bjs

drwn kix
01-10-2004, 08:44 AM
The Azenis held up insanely at the track!! Although I put a bolt through the left rear on the way home from the shop...unbelievable, the tire Gods are very, very pissed off at me. Anyway, the Azenis are freakin great, they stick and wear much much better than the previous version. But, they are no Pilot Sport Cups. I know I'm comparing apples to oranges, but driving anything other than the sport cus will be a haze once you've experienced them!
I'm looking forward to meeting you guys. I wonder if the reason you are putting screws and bolts through your tires is that you are using parts of the road seldom touched. Is that possible? :wink: It is my experience that you don't see little things like bolts because you are concentrating on the next clipping point. :P