PDA

View Full Version : WORKS Reflash and possible dyno-day for January meet...

Coolguy949
11-03-2003, 11:38 AM
Well everyone I spent some time today talking on the phone with David at WORKS about getting them down here for a dyno day/reflash day like I spoke about at yesterday's meet.

For them to come down, they need at least 10 commited buyers of the WORKS reflash (either P1 or P2) and in return, they will come down here to SoCal and do reflashes in addition to giving all the buyers a 10% off discount on the reflashes and all SoCalEvo.net members 10% off any other WORKS product that day. If we get 15 people, that's 15% off the reflashes and 10% off all other WORKS stuff (exhale, breathe, aperture). What I need is a list of people commited to getting the reflash and a list of people strongly considering it. I think this would be a great opportunity for us to meet the guys at WORKS and get all SoCalEvo.net members a discount on reflashing. I will be talking to Rich today about integrating this WORKS day with out Dyno Day meet at Brainstorm possibly next month.

So lets do a survey on who wants the reflash.

Please respond to the poll above and PM me if you re seriously commited or just interested/considering.

Let me know if you have any questions, I can also address David with any WORKS questions.

Here's a quick description of the WORKS Brain reflashes from the WORKS website (www.worksrally.com):

Brain Flash

Description: We do what our brains tell us. A car's ECU is no different. There is no single more valuable tool available to any tuner than the ability to access the car's brain and reprogram it to perform to its fullest potential -- especially after tuning parts have been added to the system. No piggy-back add-ons that intercept and falsify signals to the factory ECU and no standalone engine management systems requiring hacking apart the factory harness. The WORKS Brain is the factory ECU that has been reprogrammed with WORKS Performance Software optimizing both air/fuel ratios and ignition timing. Nothing comes close to the plug-and-play performance and reliability of the WORKS Brain. In addition, the WORKS Brain Flash RL is available to customers who only want to increase the factory rev limit to their desired RPM.* In both cases the ECU can be reprogrammed back to stock if necessary.

Price: $499.00 or $349.00 for Brain Flash RL
*please specify RPM when ordering

Availability: Now

P2 Boost Enhancement to Brain Flash:

The P2 represents an upgrade to the Brain Flash and includes a comprehensive remapping of the standard Brain Flash’s ignition curves, air/fuel ratio and, of course, adds boost mapping. In addition, the P2 also includes a unique replacement boost hose assembly to achieve higher boost. The P2 provides addictive acceleration by eliminating the factory boost taper in the higher rpms. By eliminating this boost drop-off, the area under the curve is enhanced and the car responds with increased urgency as the power band winds out.

Price: $100.00

Availability: Now

perversity
11-03-2003, 12:22 PM
I guess I have 2 ?s.

1 - Is this an out-of-the-box reflash or is it tuned to the car's mods (as each car is individual)?

2 - How easy is it to change the ecu back to stock if problems are encountered?

If I like the answers to these ?s then I will seriously consider it.

Coolguy949
11-03-2003, 12:30 PM
Excellent questions! David addressed these exactly to me (I forgot to talk about it above).

1. Their reflash is quick, especially the P1 (taking less than 10 - 15 minutes). The P2 involves installing a "boost tube" to control the boost. Basically they will put your car on the dyno to get a baseline number before then dyno it again after the reflash is done to see your results. I dont know if they can or will tune the numbers custom though. I will ask David.

2. WORKS has an option where they will reflash you with the P1 and let you test drive it around. If you like it, you can keep it and pay for it. If you dont like it they will reflash it back to stock. You will also have the option to upgrade to the P2.

ReHeat
11-03-2003, 01:03 PM
Please PM Rob if you want to be on the list, instead of posting here... :wink: :wink:

ErroR
11-03-2003, 01:48 PM
Personally I think we should check into DynoFlash. He is making some insane numbers. I swear I saw an EVO on EVOm that made 293 to the wheels with just the Dynoflash.

Coolguy949
11-03-2003, 02:14 PM
I have left some messages with Al over the last couple months regarding DynoFlash (including another one this morning) and he doesnt get back to me. I'm very impressed with WORKS so far. David called me within 5 - 10 minutes of me sending his message. He's a VERY nice guy and very excited about coming down for a dyno day. He said some SoCalEvo members drove up there for a reflash and he felt so bad for them having to drive that far. He said he'd love to come down here so that doesnt happen again.

I'm waiting to hear from Al but most likely we wont hear back judging from his track record. You guys may have to just mail your ECUs in to him if you want it. Maybe I can at least set up some type of SoCalEvo discount with him. But right now, there's nothing being negotiated because he just doesnt respond.

Rob

Coolguy949
11-03-2003, 02:18 PM
Hi everyone, due to some warranty and privacy concerns I have updated this thread to an anonymous poll instead of a list of people interested. Please PM me with your answer and i'll keep your names on a list here and my house. David just needs to know how many people want to do it.

UPDATE:

I spent some time with Rich (since he's in the works of setting up a dyno day at Brainstorm) this morning talking about integrating this reflash with our dyno day meet and it seems like it can totally be done. Basically 2 of your 3 dyno pulls would be for WORKS reflashing and your last one would be for whatever you want for those getting the reflash. The reflash doesnt involve tuning so it wont take any longer to do the dyno day than normal. They just reflash while someone else is on the dyno and then switch over. Like an assembly line. :D

Ricardon
11-03-2003, 06:51 PM
Just remember that the dyno day will not be for December's meet. December is a bit too early for the setup with the new shop, and everything that's involved with planning a succesfull dyno day for possibly 30+ Evo's. It's on for January for sure.

evolife04
11-03-2003, 06:56 PM
i dont think you really need the boost tube there didnt apper to be any diffrence from the ones i saw in stalled but it could be a top secret thing :wink:

leaveit2bevo
11-03-2003, 07:00 PM
Hi everyone, due to some warranty and privacy concerns I have updated this thread to an anonymous poll instead of a list of people interested. Please PM me with your answer and i'll keep your names on a list here and my house. David just needs to know how many people want to do it.

screw mitsu they cant match me with my name. anyway im not sure if I want a reflash or the ems, havent decided yet. Anyone have the ems yet?? how is the base maps?

IS2000
11-03-2003, 07:41 PM
The Works reflash is a nice mod.
I'd be interested in getting the throttle body from them as well. (and it would be nice if I don't have to make an 800-mile round trip).

w2pac12345
11-04-2003, 01:49 PM
I have the p1, what would get the upgrade if he came down here.

o00o
11-04-2003, 09:00 PM
al from dynoflash has announced he is coming to l.a. for 2 days to do 14 cars, 7 on each day, and it is going to be a friday and asaturday, to me this is more valuable since he actually tunes your car with your mods, instead of just flashing it and done deal

Coolguy949
11-04-2003, 09:02 PM
We are in discussions with Al about which days he will do this on...however, because of the amount of use he will need out of the Dyno, and the fact he needs 2 days, this will likely not be coordinated with one of our meets.

leaveit2bevo
11-04-2003, 10:50 PM
Hey I thought we dont like AL? Ive never met the guy but claiming the fastest evo 8 in the world is the most ignorant thing ive ever heard.

CACalomino
11-04-2003, 11:39 PM
Well I Imed david today and I say we should wait a bit like till JAN. He has a Down pipe coming out that is going to work with the P2 flash and P1 flash that is gona have some great build quality. Either way Im gona wait and make a 800 mile drive if I must.

her is what he wrote

We have a number of our customers running the P2 Brain Flash with DPs without any problems. That said, if you'd like to hold off until we release our own DP, I think this provides a nice alternative to the HKS and other DPs out there with some unique features including a thermal cermaic coating that will make waiting for ours (another month or two) worth it.

-- DavidV

just my .02

nefblkevo
11-05-2003, 11:36 AM
Would this be here in so cal or up north. and I need a new front bumper, do you know were I can get a good price? thanks

paul

NRG
11-05-2003, 05:53 PM
I also have couple of questions. I am interested in the P2 flash but with the price we pay, how many flashes TOTAL do we get? Because I know after the flash in the near future, I will be getting others mods which I would need another re-flash to compensate for them.

But other then that, I would love for WORKS to come down to LA instead of us driving up there. And to integrate this event with dyno day is good idea too since I am sure many of us would like to see the results.

Ricardon
11-07-2003, 06:04 AM
Still working on those details, but it will deffinitely be here, and it will be in January.

DavidV@WORKS
11-10-2003, 09:48 AM
Thanks for posting this up, Coolguy949

As mentioned, we at WORKS would be interested in participating in a dyno day type meet like this. The one we had in St. Louis, our first, was a big success with over 16 cars turning up (on a rainy day in Collinsville, IL -- the morning after Halloween) so I can only imagine how many Evos we can get involved in a SoCal meet like this if we get the word out.

As mentioned before, the nice thing about having WORKS come out to this event is that we don't need to tune your car on the dyno (this goes against our philosophy of what it means to properly map an Evo). Since the database of maps has been developed ahead of time, we can get accommodate a large number of Evos in a single session -- as many as 15 Evos with proper logistical planning.

Essentially, everyone gets the benefit of a couple baseline runs followed by a couple of after runs to show exactly what the Brain Flash is giving them on their cars. Likewise, since we upload our data through the OBDII port, we are happy to have people demo the P1 in their own cars. If you like it, you can keep it or upgrade to P2. If not, we are happy to flash you back to stock. Can't get much easier than that. Obviously, everyone saves on the time and expense of shipping their ECUs out to Norcal or having to drive 800 miles roundtrip to our shop and the 10%+ (depending on how many cars we get) discount applies.

To answer a couple of questions, you get one free reflash for any WORKS engine performance parts. This applies whether you are buying one new part, or several. We will flash your ECU to optimize it for the additional items you a re purchasing from us.

Keep in mind too, when choosing a tuner to flash your ECU, that WORKS has developed the flash technology to go well beyond basic bolt-ons and the Brain Flash will be used to map our WORKS Water Injection, WORKS custom cams and even the WORKS upgraded turbo kit. The growth potential within the WORKS Brain flash is nearly limitless.

Existing customers who already have the P1 get the P2 enhancement for a mere $50 and, like everyone else, are entitled to 10% off any WORKS performance parts they wish to purchase. This includes the Exhale, Aperture, Croxx Plate, Grab and any other goodies that we out at that time.

Any other questions? Please post away! We hope to see at least 10 people interested in having us there.

-- DavidV :D

NRG
11-10-2003, 01:49 PM
So does that mean, we only get a free reflash if we buy your parts?

DavidV@WORKS
11-10-2003, 06:04 PM

Yep. But why would you want anyone else's parts? :lol:

But seriously, we can only program for our own parts. There are far too many manufacturers out there releasing parts for the Evo for us to program for every possible combination of parts that someone might have on his/her car.

Ricardon
11-11-2003, 01:08 AM

But seriously, we can only program for our own parts. There are far too many manufacturers out there releasing parts for the Evo for us to program for every possible combination of parts that someone might have on his/her car.

Good answer!

GokuSSJ4
12-02-2003, 10:40 PM
I have heard really good things about the P2 and also they run it safe and dont over boost the car ...

IS2000
12-02-2003, 10:57 PM
David,
I'll be looking forward for those cams, and other goodies.

EVO_RPM
12-02-2003, 11:11 PM
I'll be ready in jan for the p2 8)

David, do you think we should only get the p1 or p2 flash if we plan on upgrading our cars with Works parts?

GokuSSJ4
12-03-2003, 09:23 AM

David are you going to be in town this coming week???

GokuSSJ4
12-03-2003, 01:11 PM
Do you have a total count so David can be contact and something can be schedule ..

rizalhoo
01-07-2004, 06:30 AM
just curious is david from works gonna come here and do the reflash or whos coming? or nobody's coming eh?

just asking though since I think i might am getting myself a reflash....

bcmind
01-07-2004, 10:25 PM
just curious is david from works gonna come here and do the reflash or whos coming? or nobody's coming eh?

just asking though since I think i might am getting myself a reflash....

same here...