PDA

View Full Version : Brembo Brakes for the EVO

latebrake
11-12-2003, 01:53 PM
Brembo just released two new upgrades for the EVO VIII. I know all of our cars come with Brembo from the factory but they are definitely inadequate if you track your car or drive extremely hard. I warped my rotors at my first track event because I ran too aggressive of a pad. When I ran the stock pads the brake just faded on me after 2 laps.

The first upgrade is a 14" Gran Turismo Kit. It has a larger, lighter and more responsive 4 piston caliper(red, black,or silver). It is built with 2pc. fully floating rotors, billet aluminum hats w/ lightweight race discs. Comes with Ferodo pads and Goodridge braided line. It needs an 18" wheel. Retail is $3295. I sold my factory brakes for $1400. I ran at Willow Springs the weekend I installed my brakes and I was out braking 2 of the Porsche 996 twin turbos.

They have a second kit they call their GTR kit. Its basically a full blown, crazy extreme race version of the above kit. Same 2 pc. rotors, lines and everything except its built with billet lightweigh race calipers with titanium pistons and hardware. I guess this was the kit thay had designed for the Pepsi car that RJ Devera built. The GTR kit is front and rear (13"). It saves over 26 lbs from the factory brakes. It retails for somehing crazy like $9000. Its definitely out of my price range and my driving ability but if you are building a full blown race car the this is the shiznit.

Just though I'd update you fellow EVO'ers of new products. I will be installing my Tein coilovers next week.

Coolguy949
11-12-2003, 03:05 PM
Yeah, I saw these at SEMA....they are indeed BEEFY. Brembo provides ferodo pads??

latebrake
11-12-2003, 03:16 PM
Brembo manufactures every component in their kits except for pads and lines. The lines are manufactured by Goodridge, the best in the business. The pads are manufactured by a few different high end companies, the most frequently used are Ferodo, sometimes Pagid.

Brembo owns factories and foundries around the world. This gives them the ability to engineer and create the best possible products in the world. If they can make it better thay will. If someone is already producing the best possible product they will use it. This was explained to me by the head engineer at Brembo when I went in for a tour.

leaveit2bevo
11-12-2003, 03:32 PM
wow that sounds nice but thats a really expensive set up. 3295 fot the breaks then 18in wheels and tires is going to make the whole package a lot.

blurr
11-12-2003, 05:11 PM
Front and rear or just Front? Who did you buy from latebrake?

perversity
11-12-2003, 07:10 PM
When I cooked my brakes I swapped out the lines to goodridge, the pads to Ferrodo and the fluid to RBF600. That provided a HUGE improvement for the brakes and total cost was about $800. So if you can't afford the 18" wheels and tires and the brake kit I highly reccommend the budget version I went with.

latebrake
11-13-2003, 10:06 AM
I purchased my kit from Group5 in San Diego. It was one of the first that Brembo built. I think it is a regular item that Brembo keeps in stock now. I had mine on order since before i got my EVO. I have done brakes on all of my other cars and it's my favorite upgrade. The confidence you gain by doing a brake upgrade is awesome. You driving style changes for the better. Knowing you can go deeper into a corner or enter you turns faster is awesome, even on the street. Most of my hard driving is done in the canyons. The benefit of brakes is across the board. Horsepower only works if you know the limits of the car. Next to brakes my favorite mod is a sticky set of tires. Like Pirelli says "Power Is Nothing Without Control".

blurr
11-13-2003, 12:49 PM
Is the $3300 front and rear?

Did you get a chance to wiegh that kit?

Chris in SD
11-13-2003, 09:19 PM
Right now, I think I am going to get the Endless 2-piece slotted rotors at all 4 corners for about $1900... PM me if you want the details. Those rotors with some serious pads should be fine for track work.

If I go nuts (or score a nice tax return), I might have to get that GTR kit.... Damn, I'm a whore for CF and Ti...

Ricardon
11-22-2003, 04:57 AM
I'll probably stick with the stock calipers, go goodrige lines, undecided on pads...gonna try them all hehe, but I'll be going with custom cryo-treated rotors. FROZEN ROTORS BABY!!! I heard that Brembo was going to introduce some cryo rotors. Are either of the above mentioned kits cryo? I wonder.