PDA

View Full Version : To mod, or not to Mod?

Cr0mster
11-15-2003, 01:58 PM
I have been wanting to do a Downpipe, Intake, Exhaust, high flo cat. My concern is the legal issues that could come with these. I am new to the moding scene so I really don't know what all can happen to you for each of these mods.

Is it worth it? What all can happen if you have a cop that feels its your turn to be pulled over and inspected? Do you need all these parts to see a decent HP gain or will just a few of them do? Anything you guys can tell me would be a huge help.

Thanks in advance,
Cr0mster

drmosh
11-15-2003, 02:07 PM
Those pieces are mostly bolt on, so if you have problems you can unbolt them and bolt your stock pieces back on.

Cr0mster
11-15-2003, 02:21 PM
One more thing. Do Cali cops get on any of your cases for lowering your Evo? I love the look of a Evo with a Coil Over kit, just wondering if this is one more of the things our friendly neighborhood police are going to bust us for.

Also could a Mod move this to Evo General since I failed to read before I woke up and posted this thread? Thanks heh

drmosh
11-15-2003, 04:49 PM
One more thing. Do Cali cops get on any of your cases for lowering your Evo? I love the look of a Evo with a Coil Over kit, just wondering if this is one more of the things our friendly neighborhood police are going to bust us for.

Also could a Mod move this to Evo General since I failed to read before I woke up and posted this thread? Thanks heh

Well, coilovers you can always raise the height to your liking. Another thing is, high flo cats are not really worth it, they are expensive and not much better than a regular cat... use a test pipe if you wanna be serious.

ItsStockOfficer
11-18-2003, 11:03 AM

Well, coilovers you can always raise the height to your liking. Another thing is, high flo cats are not really worth it, they are expensive and not much better than a regular cat... use a test pipe if you wanna be serious.

I had a larger difference form a stock cat to a high flow cat over a 3 inch cat to a 3 inch pipe, actually. High flow cats flow relatively well, but once you start running 110 octane on occasion, you need to drop it.

Coolguy949
11-18-2003, 11:35 AM
The stock cat is actually very good if you look at it. It appears the only limitation is the size of the flanges on each side. The inside opens up to a huge chamber. According to several sources I've talked to , the stock cat is indeed a high flow one put in there by Mitsu. So, I bet you could enlarge the flanges and have yourself a 3" HF cat.

leaveit2bevo
11-18-2003, 03:46 PM
If you dont want shit from the pigs dont run a test pipe. With a test pipe were talking extremly loud, smelly, and shooting flames.

drmosh
11-18-2003, 07:13 PM
If you dont want shit from the pigs dont run a test pipe. With a test pipe were talking extremly loud, smelly, and shooting flames.

Actually, I have considered just removing my cat entirely, since I have an OBD II computer I can clear the CEL whenever I want. Unbolt my cat on the weekend and bolt it back on for the week.

Cr0mster
11-18-2003, 07:23 PM
Thanks guys this is good info. The reason I am asking is a company has offered me parts in trade for pics of install and a article. The parts I have been offered are a Full exhaust system and down pipe from megan racing, lowering spings also from megan and a Greddy Type S BOV. I don't know how good their stuff is. It looks good on their webpage but I know that doesn't mean much. So I am trying to see if people think this is worth it.

CACalomino
11-19-2003, 01:16 AM
Well as far as emissions goes it simple **** if its before teh cat like Down pipe intake etc if it does not have a C.A.R.B sticker witch stands for California Air Reasearch Board then it will not pass visual on smogg day even thow it will not make the car polute more.

As for exhaust if it exceeds 95db its not leagal and will ticketed nd told to be fixed. But most cops wont hassle that much unless its super loud or u are driving like ass.

IF u run a test pipe its a $3,000 fine

U can get away with a Down PIPE not to many smogg guys will look under the car other than to look for a CAT.

If i was u and u wanted power that would be easy to make and not realy destroy warranty or get busted by cops I would recomend the fallowing.

-Stolk INtake and filter proven to be the best no need to realy change
- HKS or RMR or what ever DP u want
- stolk cat
- a 3' exhaust that is not to loud or u can just feather it around town in croweded places like me to keep the growl down a bit
- a Dyno flash or WOrks reflash for extra power and stealthness from factory and cops etc

Happy motoring

-Chris

scumdog
04-03-2009, 03:26 PM
mm hmm

pjb00stin
04-03-2009, 03:29 PM
woohoo mecro necro bump!

ranz
04-03-2009, 11:51 PM
with those mods and a descent tune, u will notice a gr8 difference! ;)

TeKiZeRo
04-05-2009, 03:27 PM
mm hmm

Foo! Why do you bump something 6 years ago!

jamesinger
04-05-2009, 03:43 PM
whoa.

I :smitten: old skool

mrobs15
04-05-2009, 03:48 PM
/slap ._.

CRX2EVO
04-05-2009, 03:50 PM
mm hmm

quote for ban

gtfo

Azian
04-05-2009, 04:48 PM
necro bump lawl

gt40
04-05-2009, 05:05 PM
Damn, I remember this thread- when dino actually was still excited about evo's :P

vial8or
04-06-2009, 12:07 AM
mm hmm

quote for ban

gtfo

Exactly.

scumdog
04-06-2009, 12:20 AM
does it bother you? you didnt have to read it or even click on it.If it was a problem to post in it,then it should have been fucking deleted.crx why dont you just gtfo! your just an asshole anyway with a fetish for a shitty ass car.

jerrym
04-06-2009, 12:32 AM
... too much talking..

FI
04-14-2009, 10:54 AM
Why buy this car if you are not going to mod it? It is just too easy to make power.

Azian
04-14-2009, 11:04 AM
fyi this thread is 6yrs old buddy^^^

Robdog
04-17-2009, 10:24 PM
Haha