PDA

View Full Version : Are Cold air intakes pointless on turbo cars?????

leaveit2bevo
11-24-2003, 02:39 PM
Im thinking of getting the new aps cold air intake, but have heard talk on evom that it is pointless and fucks with the maf. It seems to me the colder the air the better so it makes sense but will it screw up the maf and make the car run lean??? I have about around 400 500 dollars to spend any other suppestions??

IS2000
11-25-2003, 12:06 AM
I think it is better to have shorter induction pipe for a turbo car.
I'd suggest any good intake system with cold air induction box, like the HKS Kansai CF box, or Monster Sport. This might cost a bit more than your budget, but it is worth it.

Ricardon
11-25-2003, 01:08 AM
Whoever says that colder air is pointless, is two things #1-a total retard and #2-almost directly quoting RMR's website. Please tell me how adding colder, denser air into the turbo is pointless. Anyone notice that their car runs better/pulls harder on these "colder" fall days/nights? I do, but I must be on crack. Bevo, you won't be able to take full advantage of the extra/colder air without some kind of fuel management, but it is deffinitely not pointless. We talked this evening, but if you got $500, go get the turbonetics rebuild on your stock turbo, or have Roshan reflash your ecu. Stock box or not, you'll be making a lot more power. My.50

EvolOne
11-25-2003, 12:17 PM
Whoever says that colder air is pointless, is two things #1-a total retard and #2-almost directly quoting RMR's website. Please tell me how adding colder, denser air into the turbo is pointless. Anyone notice that their car runs better/pulls harder on these "colder" fall days/nights? I do, but I must be on crack. Bevo, you won't be able to take full advantage of the extra/colder air without some kind of fuel management, but it is deffinitely not pointless. We talked this evening, but if you got $500, go get the turbonetics rebuild on your stock turbo, or have Roshan reflash your ecu. Stock box or not, you'll be making a lot more power. My.50

Hey Rich, I checked the turbonetics site and they say nada in specific about Evo turbo rebuilds -- that I could find. Is there some info out there that describes what they do to the Evo turbo?

R2

leaveit2bevo
11-25-2003, 01:47 PM
Its kind of a secret in the way that most people dont know of it. They basically turn your turbo into a ball bearing turbo capable of higher psi and faster spool. I have been told that along with a boost controler will net around 350 to the wheels so Im deff looking into to trying it.

Ricardon
11-25-2003, 11:32 PM
Rob2...it's the little secrets that you run into when calling just about every vendor you can think of. I'm sure they will announce something in the future about it, but the best way to get all the info is just to give them a call. A LOT of companies have products for the EVO that they don't have advertised yet, or advertise as coming soon. How much digging do you want to do. I've done quite a bit, and I hate it that I have because now I feel shitty for not being able to afford any of these mods LOL!! FULL HAZE!!!

gt40
11-26-2003, 01:38 AM
I came across it prospecting them! Seriously just call over there - they are in simi will need the turbo off the car for a week or two btw

Hope that helps

EvolOne
11-26-2003, 08:19 PM
Rob2...it's the little secrets that you run into when calling just about every vendor you can think of. I'm sure they will announce something in the future about it, but the best way to get all the info is just to give them a call. A LOT of companies have products for the EVO that they don't have advertised yet, or advertise as coming soon. How much digging do you want to do. I've done quite a bit, and I hate it that I have because now I feel shitty for not being able to afford any of these mods LOL!! FULL HAZE!!!

Thanks for info, I didn't want to be the bleeding edge first experience with an evo for them. ... what's with adding ballbearings to the turbo. Rob

kaisho99
11-27-2003, 09:36 AM
Speaking of intakes, did ya see the new K&N Typhoon? Looks pretty slick.

Seems to be a lot of smack talk about APC as a company, making crappy WRX products. Dunno if it's still true for Evos.

leaveit2bevo
11-27-2003, 02:50 PM

Thanks for info, I didn't want to be the bleeding edge first experience with an evo for them. ... what's with adding ballbearings to the turbo. Rob

I may end up being the first or just blowing a lot of money on stiffening up the chasis.

Ricardon
11-27-2003, 05:52 PM

Seems to be a lot of smack talk about APC as a company, making crappy WRX products. Dunno if it's still true for Evos.

Bevo is talking about the APS intake NOT the APC. APS is an Australian company, very highly regarded as one of the top aftermarket performance parts manufacturers for EVO & WRX parts. APC is pure and utter crap. Big difference hehehe. I have the AEM intake, but I'm almost willing to purchase the APS cold air intake to see how it stacks up. Lotta parts coming out for this deal now guys!!

EvolOne
11-27-2003, 07:05 PM

Bevo is talking about the APS intake NOT the APC. APS is an Australian company, very highly regarded as one of the top aftermarket performance parts manufacturers for EVO & WRX parts. APC is pure and utter crap. Big difference hehehe. I have the AEM intake, but I'm almost willing to purchase the APS cold air intake to see how it stacks up. Lotta parts coming out for this deal now guys!!

Rich, Are you thinking about the APS dangle-down coolair intake? Or the straight out angle-up? Some comment the dangle down might suck h20 if one hit a big puddle. R2

leaveit2bevo
11-27-2003, 07:15 PM
Um im pretty sure were talking about the dangle-down but its not really close enough to get water, some say that the intercooler spray might hit it with water but I dought it will be able to get into the engine.

Ricardon
11-27-2003, 07:35 PM
The APS cold air intake is deffinitely not for off-road use like rallying. You won't be in any trouble if you hit a puddle, although I wouldnt want to drive it HARD in a torrential downpour either. You don't have to worry oo much about locking it up if you aren't sucking A LOT of air in the pipe as with WOT. IF it starts raining really hard, don't drive, if you have to don't try setting any Land Speed Records like the rest of the LA residents.

kaisho99
11-28-2003, 09:45 AM

Ahhh...gotcha. Man I can't keep all these damn acronyms straight. :lol: