PDA

View Full Version : What should I do next? Please Help

modankevo
11-27-2003, 10:20 PM
So I am accelerating onto the freeway, mid RPM through fourth gear, when it felt like the car jumped/bumped, and I saw the Check Engine light come on. The car was still running fine, but I got paranoid and took it in to the Mitsubishi service dealer where they told me it was a Turbocharger Wastegate malfunction. I had the system restarted and the light hasn't come on since, but I found out the wastegate got clogged from an overboost, but it was strange because I have accelerated more before and that never happened to me. I got an HKS downpipe and exhaust, HKS boost controller and a turbo timer. I was wondering thought if anybody can tell me what I can do next, as for upgrades, so that this doesn't happen again. I already turned down the boost on the controller. Thanks :?:

drmosh
11-28-2003, 08:55 AM
Correct tuning helps, a fix to a problem is not necessarily to add more mods.

Coolguy949
11-28-2003, 12:39 PM
Soulds like you hit fuel cut. When you hit fuel cut, turn the setting on the EVC down about one notch.

modankevo
11-28-2003, 03:50 PM
Can you tell me what you mean with a fuel cut? To keep the wastegate from not getting clogged, or to be able to push a higher amout of boost, would an aftermarket BOV or wastegate help? Thanks guys

twotan
11-28-2003, 08:15 PM
you should pick a computer for your evo. i would pick up the apex power fc.

Coolguy949
11-28-2003, 08:25 PM
drmosh can scan your OBD-II readings and log them for you. Sounds like you're just overboosting. Fuel cut is when the MAF and o2's detects that you're going to run to lean so it cuts the fuel to protect your engine.

Just back the boost back like one settings. How much do you have it set at? Do you have a test pipe?

Ricardon
11-29-2003, 02:50 AM
If you don't have some kind of fuel cut defender, or some sort of engine management, the stock ECU will cut fuel at anything above 1.5 bar of boost.

gt40
11-29-2003, 03:03 AM
Hey,

I ran into this exact problem early on... after I upgraded the turbo. You are definitely hitting the fuel cut. Acceleration hard followed by the sensation you just left something important behind you on the road!

Basically you made the stock ecu think something major was going wrong as a result of your mods and it cuts the fuel to the injectors. A violent bucking sensation.

You can reach it several ways but the most common is going from 1.33 to 1.5 bar boost. Your increased volumetric efficiency from your mods may be allowing you to hit 1.5 bar and the ecu goes into fail safe. You can kill the cel btw, by disconnecting your battery for a few minutes and resetting the ecu.

Fuel cut defender can eliminate this and will work best in conjunction with a flash or piggyback. unless you plan to build internals any of the above can tune around this. Beyond that you go aem!

Hope that helps.

M