PDA

View Full Version : BORLA HEADER INSTALLED!!!

Ricardon
11-29-2003, 02:41 AM
HOLY $HIT!!! Well, I got the car back from Borla on Wednesday night, and immediately went out for a drive. Insane throttle response! The top end pull is actually MUCH better than even I had expected. Throttle response up top is significantly better as well. The car has some serious pull now. The piece is made of 304 stainless steel, and the runners are equal length. Note that it is thick-walled stainless, not the thin crap like the HKS, JIC, and other tubular stainless manifolds. Borla put some serious effort into designing this thing. The flanges are HUGE, and way overbuilt. It is ceramic coated, and they included a silicone/ceramic sleeve for the upper radiator hose to keep temperatures down. As soon as everyone sees what it looks like in person at the next meet I'm going to wrap it with spun ceramic tape to further insulate it and further reduce underhood temps. It will end up looking like a sock, but I'm not into bling anyway. I have no idea how much it will retail for, but I can say that it will be worth every last penny. Another important note...I'm still running the stock downpipe and cat! I cannot imagine what this thing will feel like once I put my custom downpipe on!!! Click here for the picture http://www.socalevo.net/forums/modules.php?set_albumName=Ricardon&id=header3&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

blurr
11-29-2003, 03:09 AM
Wow, Can't wait to see what the gains are, Dyno time?

Ricardon
11-29-2003, 03:15 AM
Right now we're waiting for Roshan to get moved into the new shop, and get his dyno re-installed there. Hopefully I'll have numbers soon. I plan on getting the downpipe installed very soon as well. I'll post the numbers as soon as they become available.

perversity
11-29-2003, 09:56 AM
This looks like the mod I have been waiting for. I was concerned about the *other* headers creacking because they were too thin. And I thought I would have to do the ceramic coating myself. So this looks like an awesome product!!

So here are some ?s for you...

1 When is it available?
2 How much?
3 How do I go about putting my EGT guage on it without messing it up?

CACalomino
11-29-2003, 02:06 PM
How about some pics rich. NOthing like a spegheti style header

Ricardon
11-29-2003, 10:02 PM
Tony:
1-I dunno
2-I dunno
3-you guessed it, I dunno.
Sorry I can't be of more help here, I'll get the answers to those questions for you this next week hopefully!
Chris: I only got a couple pictures of it, and I put the one good one in my gallery. Did you click the link I posted?

CACalomino
11-30-2003, 12:55 AM
my bad the link blended in I could not see it last night lol

YellowFever
11-30-2003, 08:19 PM
hey ricardon....are you still using stock turbo??

Ricardon
11-30-2003, 08:27 PM
yeah, stock turbo. The plan is to stay with the stock turbo, and do a turbonetics rebuild.

Chris in SD
11-30-2003, 08:56 PM
Hey Rich - will Turbonetics take a shipped turbo, say from VA? If so, find out what the turn-around would be and the $$$$. Thanks, man!

Ricardon
11-30-2003, 09:06 PM
I'm almost positive that they will take a shipped one fom VA. I think turnaround is like 3 days or something like that without shipping, so plan for a week. I'll get back to you monday with answers. Wow, looks like I got a lot of legwork to do a lot of questions posed this weekend hehehe.

blurr
11-30-2003, 10:46 PM
What does the rebuild get you?

Ricardon
11-30-2003, 11:29 PM
about 40% more flow, supposedly. You get the benefits of a slightly larger turbo without the excess lag. Note: I said larger, not LARGE like a gt40 hehehehe. Should be an unbeatable amount of hp to the dollar @ $500!

perversity
12-01-2003, 11:16 AM
Ricardon, I am reading between the lines here, but it sounds like this is a mod you are going to do. I'd be interested to see how you get on with this...

Ricardon
12-01-2003, 09:36 PM
HEHEHE, you got me pegged Tony...for now! Yeah, I'm sure I'm in the same boat as everyone esle when I say that I don't have enough money to do even 1/16th of the things I'd like to do with the car. My path has changed slightly over the last couple of months as I've done some research, but the Turbonetics deal is almost a given for me now. When I'll be able to do it? Who knows really, but be damn sure that I'll post good or bad about it. I have a sneaking suspision that it will be absolutely wickedly spent cash though.

EvolOne
12-01-2003, 10:04 PM
Right now we're waiting for Roshan to get moved into the new shop, and get his dyno re-installed there. Hopefully I'll have numbers soon. I plan on getting the downpipe installed very soon as well. I'll post the numbers as soon as they become available.

Rich,

What downpipe are you planning on?

Are those KOOstum tiebar braces still available, and how much and where are they got?

Hey, that's a good name for them, yes? Koostum Tiebar Braces

Ricardon
12-01-2003, 10:28 PM
Nice, and catchy! First the downpipe...I'll probably have a custom downpipe made. I was planning on the AVO downpipe, but I can get a custom one made, that is a full 3" and almost completely straight pipe made for half the cost, with a flex joint too, so my header won't get all the stress! Still undecided though. Yes, the custome braces are still available!! Mark and I have been insanely busy lately and haven't had the time to continue work on them, but things are calming down and work will continue for sure! They will be $150 ready to go when you give me the word! Right now I can do them in red or yellow, or leave it unfinished if you want to paint it or anodize it yourself. PM me if you are interested...I can have one for you pretty much as soon as you want it. Gotta do Bevo's too lol, sorry for the delay Bevo! In the future, interest providing, I can crank them out FAST!

perversity
12-02-2003, 08:18 AM
Rich, please leave Bevo's tool out of this!

Chris in SD
12-02-2003, 04:41 PM
Rich - did you find out if Turbonetics can hook me up? I am assuming I will still be using the stock turbo housing and manifold, etc. Is this correct?

Let me know, Seņor Ricardon...

BOVBILLY
12-02-2003, 05:04 PM
HOW MUCH? HOW MUCH? HOW MUCH?