PDA

View Full Version : to tint or not to tint...

markcs
12-01-2003, 07:26 PM
Was this subject already covered? Anyway, what do you guys (and gals) think?

Tint- my car is black and it would be cooler in the summertime :D

Not tint - ppl can see who's driving and/or when/if your car is a sausage-mobile and/or a pussy-mobile :Þ

Chris in SD
12-01-2003, 07:37 PM
Split the difference and get 35% all around. I have 20% all around and I love it. If I want to look at a girl (and have her check my bald melon), I just roll down the one-touch window... VOILA.

perversity
12-02-2003, 08:41 AM
Bald melon huh, sounds suspicious. Anyways, I know one of the guys I met at the lancer club had his tint done by a shop that also offered free/really cheap removal of tint if you got a ticket for it. Don't remember who/where, but it might be worth considering.

RaysurX
12-02-2003, 09:50 AM
IMHO.. (long ....sorry)

Tint is of course perfect to prevent sun damage to your interior. On a black car you could probably get away with DARKER percentage tints due to the lack of contrast from your BLACK car. On a white car it would be much more noticeable and you would most likely get ticketed.

Things to consider if you tint the driver/passenger windows....... at some point you will most likely get cited for a ticket because of the aggressive / sporty look of the car. The "bleacher" wing will definitly catch the attention of a cop and they will most likely "THINK" its a civic with a huge aftermarket wing think you are a punk trying to cruise. This again depends on where you are driving. I have had the worst experiences in NEWPORT BEACH in the past.

Example 1: I was parked in a white car (not evo)... with my driver/pass rolled down and a cop cited me for dark tint without even seeing my windows up. Of course this was completely wrong... it was signed off (no fees at that time). But his attitude toward me was that I was a punk kid and fixed up car.

Example 2: Newport Beach - Daytime - Driving white car dark tint... windows up this time. Get pulled over off of PCH. Tells me I have tinting and I will get a tix. Then tells me that he wants to search my car. I ask why? He says that he thinks he saw a weapon. He proceeds to search.... I ask him "Do fit the profile of a hoodlum?" he says "Define hoodlum?" I answer.." I dunno... you tell me... you are the one searching my car."
Get tix... it gets signed off.

I could go up to example #14 (yes thats how my tint tix I got back in the day and I'm not proud of it.)

In all occurrences I acknowledge my the TINTING was not in compliance to vehicle code and I had the tix coming... but the attitude that I received from police officers in Newport, Santa Ana and Fountain Valley were the worst experiences. I was always polite with officers but to no avail.... (with the exception of the Newport cop who searched my car) Granted I was much younger then....but...

vc 26708(a) Tinting ticket will cost some money now-adays... I don't think they are simple sign offs anymore. (anyone?) There are most likely some admin fees you will have pay.

So to sum up my thesis..... (lol)
Don't go tooo dark. keep the pass driver sides somewhat light...but for aesthetics... dont have too much of a varience between back and front windows. The contrast won't look the best.
AND... with the aggressive look of the EVO... expect a TINT tix at some point....if you do get pulled over for just tint...expect a no front plate tix too.

I'm leveraging off my past grief for hopefully your benefit....

EvolOne
12-02-2003, 08:45 PM
One comment. I've noted that the wing on the evo is often less noticible when the rear window is tinted. Seems to hide the wing's presence.

But I woudn't go big dark. Rw

xxfairenoughxx
12-04-2003, 12:38 PM
On a sidenote...Fix it tickets for tinting now double each time you receive one. On another sidenote there is a provision written in the vehicle code that says if you have light sensitivity you are allowed to have tinting done. That means take a trips to the optomitrist ask him to test you and get all teary eyed. Ask him then to write a note saying you have light sensitivity and keep it in your car. If a cop tries to pull you over show him the note if he still gives you a ticket take it to court and it will get signed off...no charge and will not go on your record. fucking cops can eat my shit.

Nynguah
12-09-2003, 06:46 PM
Can anybody confirm that tinting results ina misdemeanor now? I thought I'd heard that floating around somewhere...

-Josh

xxfairenoughxx
12-11-2003, 11:24 AM
Well I know that they're no longer just "fix it" tickets so they must be misdeamors.

AD_LIB
12-16-2003, 02:13 AM
Ugh I hate cops.....love tint....hate tickets....hurts brain...f%$k it just go 20% all around and try to be a good monkey. That my plan anyway ;)

drmosh
12-16-2003, 08:28 PM
Hey, I have a question for you guys that got tints, do you sit there and wait? Cause I sure as hell don't want any tint punk to drive my car around.

STiTHIS
12-16-2003, 08:51 PM
I have got'n about 10 fix it tickets for...license plate, windows and lights.

About the bigger penalty for window tint is possible if the pig, i mean peace officer(HA), has given you the same ticket before or knows you have had it before.

I dont know about the fine doubling everytime