PDA

View Full Version : Upgrades thoughts...

gt40
12-03-2003, 08:49 PM
Looking at the upgrade path from the other end of 12k, I thought I would share some hard learned ideas:

Upgrades! It is a bit overwhelming on this car. With all the crap out there, you need to seriously have an upgrade path and begin with the end in mind.

Before you go crazy with mods keep the following in mind:

You probably will have more fun and be faster if you spend less on mods and invest in racing school!

Figure a target torque and hp you realistically want and then get several shops opinions on the most reliable cost effective way to get there. Fyi, be careful of what you ask for... most people are not up to an honest to god 450+ hp car!

I know everyone has their own opinion, but if you are just interested in reliable power I will suggest the following upgrade path to consider for starters:

reasonable priced full 3" turboback exhaust +20-30 HP

aps intake +5-8

turbonetics stock turbo upgrade(makes stock turbo flow 30% more) and undetectable!

MBC to take care of the extra capacity of you upgraded turbo...

*Optional: avo intercooler and rmr hardpipe kit- 15-20 hp and a lot more torque down low + better response.

Once you get those on, go to brainstorm or another tuner with a dyno and get them to flash you on the dyno. Wait until you are done with your mods to save money!

Those upgrades should put you solidly into the 330-360 at the wheels on the their dyno. FYI the car does about 236 whp on the brainstorm dyno stock

After all that you have a car that looks stock(except if you do the rmr hardpipe and avo intecooler) and shouldn't get a haze from the dealer but is a LOT faster and is still reliable.

That is my 2 cents. For another opinion talk to Roshon at Brainstorm or
another tuner you trust who isn't just trying to sell you and tell him what you want... he may have a different path for you.

BTW, if you are totally crazy and want more power and have money to burn, you got another 5-8k to add before you are done with a turbo, manifold, bov, injectors, fuel pump, aem or other stand alone and a significant outlay of time, effort and money for tuning... If you are still not done you add the internals and stir...!

The point is to map out things logically and don't believe everything you read on evom...

As a final thought, you might want to start saving now that 1800 or so for the new clutch and flywheel you will need after you finish giving your car all that power.

my 2 cents

GokuSSJ4
12-03-2003, 10:11 PM
thanks for the write up Mark, how about addding cams like 264/264 , (Works is also working on something between the 264 and 272 cams .
Im sure that would put you a bit over 350whp, which is something im looking for ...

Cr0mster
12-03-2003, 10:13 PM
reasonable priced full 3" turboback exhaust +20-30 HP

aps intake +5-8

turbonetics stock turbo upgrade(makes stock turbo flow 30% more) and undetectable!

MBC to take care of the extra capacity of you upgraded turbo...

*Optional: avo intercooler and rmr hardpipe kit- 15-20 hp and a lot more torque down low + better response.

Once you get those on, go to brainstorm or another tuner with a dyno and get them to flash you on the dyno. Wait until you are done with your mods to save money! [quote]

About how much money would you say this would cost to do? Just a ball park idea.

leaveit2bevo
12-03-2003, 10:23 PM
I really want to get the turbonetics upgrade but dont have the cash is something breaks as a cause of it.

leaveit2bevo
12-04-2003, 11:11 AM
After talking to Mark last night Im dedicated to the turbonetics upgrade, I have to save some more moeny for the boost controler and some tuning at Brainstorm but im going to do it.

gt40
12-04-2003, 03:01 PM
You shouldn't break anything if you just do the turbo upgrade and have it tuned properly. This car has a lot of overhead except for the clutch- forged internals stock!

Regarding the cams: 550 for cams + 380 for cam gears +install = spending a grand for gains that don't really come on till you are getting into the 400hp range and have other mods like the turbo, bigger injectors, fuel pump etc. Awesome mod after you have the above finished...

They should be done before you tune though so you don't have to pay 2 times...

gt40
12-04-2003, 03:08 PM
reasonable priced full 3" turboback exhaust +20-30 HP $500

aps intake +5-8 $280

turbonetics stock turbo upgrade(makes stock turbo flow 30% more) and undetectable! $500

MBC to take care of the extra capacity of you upgraded turbo... $100

fuel cut defender to avoid the ecu shutting you down at 1.5 bar boost $100

*Optional: avo intercooler $1000 and rmr hardpipe kit $600- 15-20 hp and a lot more torque down low + better response.

Once you get those on, go to brainstorm or another tuner with a dyno and get them to flash you on the dyno. $500 +

Wait until you are done with your mods to save money!

If you do all the above I would be surprised if you are not around 380-400 at the wheels

There is another path for around 2k for 330 horse from aps also:

http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/us_spec/evo/evo_cs_system.htm

ErroR
12-06-2003, 06:27 AM
Is the Turbonetics Turbo upgrade something that can be done while I wait or do I have to give it a couple of days.

gt40
12-06-2003, 10:33 AM
You would have to provide them with your turbo and it takes around a week... Just call them. There is no free lunch...

As an alternative.... you can just buy a bigger turbo and manifold and injectors and fuel pump and the expense that goes with it...

500 and a week of no driving with your evo or 3k + for a turbo kit if flowing a lot more air is part of your mod plans...

Mike W
12-10-2003, 01:19 PM
I kept hearing about this Turbonetics upgrade turbo that flows 30% more than stock. Being a fairly large Turbonetics dealer, I wondered why I had not heard of this. So I called them up and asked about it. They have never heard of it. I'm like "No way dude, I read about it on the internet so it has to be true :-) " He went and asked his manager about it and the sales manager and cheif tech guy had not heard of it either. He's all "Bro, we talked about it once back 6 months ago but it isn't possible because it is a reverse rotation turbo and there is no upgrade compressor wheel available for it".

Is anyone running this phantom Turbonetics upgrade turbo? Anyone seen one in captivity?

Mike W

EVO Neil
12-10-2003, 02:05 PM
I kept hearing about this Turbonetics upgrade turbo that flows 30% more than stock. Being a fairly large Turbonetics dealer, I wondered why I had not heard of this. So I called them up and axed about it. They have never heard of it. I'm like "No way dude, I read about it on the internet so it has to be true :-) " He went and asked his manager about it and the sales manager and cheif tech guy had not heard of it either. He's all "Bro, we talked abou tit once back 6 months ago but it isn't possible because it is a reverse rotation turbo and there is no upgrade compressor wheel available for it".

Is anyone running this phantom Turbonetics upgrade turbo? Anyone seen one in captivity?

Mike W

DOH! Good information. I wonder what turbo GT40 has?

EvolOne
12-10-2003, 07:50 PM
I kept hearing about this Turbonetics upgrade turbo that flows 30% more than stock. Being a fairly large Turbonetics dealer, I wondered why I had not heard of this. So I called them up and axed about it. They have never heard of it. I'm like "No way dude, I read about it on the internet so it has to be true :-) " He went and asked his manager about it and the sales manager and cheif tech guy had not heard of it either. He's all "Bro, we talked abou tit once back 6 months ago but it isn't possible because it is a reverse rotation turbo and there is no upgrade compressor wheel available for it".

Mike W

My understanding is the mitsu evo turbo does have that funny backward vane design that reduces kick back of the air flow.

So what's the thing about the turbonetics upgrade...??

Doesn't GT40 have a ball/roller bearing GT turbo?

DOH! Good information. I wonder what turbo GT40 has?

erioshi
01-06-2004, 11:11 AM
Anyone know of a solid turbo that would be a good match to a set of HKS 264 cams? I'm not looking for a big turbo, just something a bit over stock with some headroom. Enough flow to to be able to run decent boost on 100 octane with the 264s would be perfect :)

I'm trying to avoid mega-lag while still bumping the overal flow...

Coolguy949
01-06-2004, 11:12 AM
probably the GReddy TD06 20G kit.

howiEVO8
01-06-2004, 11:15 AM
there's this one place i saw on the net, you send them your stock turbo "core" whatever that means...and they do something to it and then send you a bigger one...its supposed to be an upgrade or something like that...its pretty reasonably priced, considering its only like around $800 bucks...but ummm...u gotta trade in your old core and ummm...i have no idea how much more HP you'll get...from their turbo upgrade alone....

howiEVO8
01-06-2004, 11:17 AM
reasonable priced full 3" turboback exhaust +20-30 HP $500

aps intake +5-8 $280

turbonetics stock turbo upgrade(makes stock turbo flow 30% more) and undetectable! $500

MBC to take care of the extra capacity of you upgraded turbo... $100

fuel cut defender to avoid the ecu shutting you down at 1.5 bar boost $100

*Optional: avo intercooler $1000 and rmr hardpipe kit $600- 15-20 hp and a lot more torque down low + better response.

Once you get those on, go to brainstorm or another tuner with a dyno and get them to flash you on the dyno. $500 +

Wait until you are done with your mods to save money!

If you do all the above I would be surprised if you are not around 380-400 at the wheels

There is another path for around 2k for 330 horse from aps also:

http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/us_spec/evo/evo_cs_system.htm

wait..WTH...only $500 for the turbonetics upgrade? how much HP would i gain from just that? and do i need to do anything to anything else on my car?...will i get turbo lag?

ItsStockOfficer
01-06-2004, 11:22 AM
You already HAVE turbo lag.

And Im still waiting for prrof that upgrade exists.

howiEVO8
01-06-2004, 11:24 AM
what i meant was....will i get more turbo lag with the bigger turbonetics turbo?

gt40
01-06-2004, 11:39 AM
You have them make a different compressor wheel basically for the stock turbo...