PDA

View Full Version : Evol Opinions In the Print Media

EvolOne
12-07-2003, 12:06 PM
Hey EvolDudes/dudettes,

Just got my Automobile Mag for the month, and the Evo is ranked "Automobiles Car of the Year," and they continue to say, perhaps car of the decade....

Not that I give much creedance to A.Mag., but after Car & Driver didn't even get the Evo or Sti in their Cars of the Year batch, it is nice to see that Automobile, a fluff mag IMHO, at least saw the light.

Despite daily driver criticisms about harshness, etc., when the going gets slidy and the speed and curves increase, the Evo is instant security, it does what it's told, and it saves ass on many occasions.

Evo rules. Encourage a little check out, but likely it's a mag for old folks, not most Evo owners.

R2

blurr
12-07-2003, 06:50 PM
THe last time I was out at SoW Road and Track was on the big track filming their Car of the Year for Speedvision. There was an STI in the bunch but no Evo. Even had a convertable 350Z but no Evo.

Ricardon
12-07-2003, 08:54 PM
Goofy isnt it? All bias aside, I would have to say that a publication that didnt at least consider the EVO is a little suspect. I dunno, maybe I'm just not looking at the ENTIRE picture.

EVO Neil
12-08-2003, 10:46 AM
I dunno, maybe I'm just not looking at the ENTIRE picture.

But I am, FOFLMAO, too funny! :wink:

EvolOne
12-08-2003, 06:52 PM
I dunno, maybe I'm just not looking at the ENTIRE picture.

Automobile Mag, yeah I know, not only picked the Evo as their car of the year, they said it was possibly the car of the decade. I think that's ten. Not seconds, years. Pretty assuming, that is until the Skyline gets here for 35 g's. I'm dreaming, know I am. R2

EVO Neil
12-08-2003, 07:16 PM
[quote="Ricardon"] I dunno, maybe I'm just not looking at the ENTIRE picture.

I was referring to Rich's reference to the ENTIRE Picture (no doubt of himself), not Automobiles choice for car of the year. Sorry if I caused some confusion.

EvolOne
12-08-2003, 07:29 PM
[quote="Ricardon"] I dunno, maybe I'm just not looking at the ENTIRE picture.

I was referring to Rich's reference to the ENTIRE Picture (no doubt of himself), not Automobiles choice for car of the year. Sorry if I caused some confusion.

Always confused. Thanks for the clarity, though. R2

Ricardon
12-08-2003, 08:59 PM
Yeah, I HAD to put that picture as my avatar...HAD TO! We were on the same page Neil!!! hahaha. Seriously though, I'm confused, as I'm not a media insider, I wonder what goes on behind the decisions that some publications make that lead to the winners in comparo-type tests and COY awards and such. I once read the Motor Trend comparison test between the Z06, Boxter S, and E46 M3 called "Speed Wars 200? (don't remember the month or year think it was 2002) The vette won 4 out of the 5 tests outright, and tied EXACTLY with the M3 in the slalom test, and the M3 was still declared the "winner". Deffinitely not hazing Motor Trend here, but I was confused by the title of the article, the results and the subsequent verdict. That's part of what I meant by the ENTIRE picture (I'm glad that Neil picked up on the avatar pun though hehehe!!)

EVO Neil
12-09-2003, 09:31 AM
Sometimes it's about more than the numbers. Kind of like comparing an EVO to the STi, the STi will, (despite what some would say and I'm not trying to start a flame here) run better numbers. But the EVO feels better while doing it and hence is ususally the one picked to win the comparo. I could see the same thing happening to the Corvette when compared to an M3. Of course in the story they should explain this so there is no confusion as to why the M3 won over the Vette, even though the Vette won the numbers portion of the test. See, it's not all about the numbers.

Ricardon
12-09-2003, 08:40 PM
Yeah, I guess ultimately the "X" factor is usually what makes people buy cars after test drives, not what the brochure says. I guess it would be pretty tough to describe the "feeling" factor in print, hell it's hard enough to describe feeling in spoken words!