PDA

View Full Version : Which Coil-Over's?

STiTHIS
12-14-2003, 06:48 PM
HEYHEY. New member, cant wait to get invovled in the group/club.

Anyway, who likes which coilover?
Also, swaybars, tower bars and such?

perversity
12-14-2003, 09:40 PM
the JICs set up by Road Race engineering are getting good reviews. Some people have the teins and rave about those as well. If you are not in a hurry maybe you can hook up with some members at the next meet to ride in their car and see what you think.

BTW welcome to the club...

ErroR
12-14-2003, 11:59 PM
I can get a vey good deal on JIC for anyone that wants them :wink:

ItsStockOfficer
12-15-2003, 01:30 AM
Theres a big difference between JIC's and JIC's installed and tuned by John Mueller at RRE....

ErroR
12-15-2003, 07:19 AM
Very tue but my price is still saving money.

STiTHIS
12-15-2003, 11:48 AM
I think JIC then, what is this RRE...? install shop..person?

blurr
12-15-2003, 12:54 PM
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/jicinfo.htm

He sets them up with non stock JIC spring rates. It is very worth it.

-matt

gt40
12-15-2003, 01:24 PM
STiTHIS:

I rode in a stock jic setup car and it was washboard action all the way... I also rode in matt's car at streets of willow and it was simply amazing difference.

I was completely convinced that you couldn't pay me to swap the stock struts for them after riding in an evo with normal jic setup. After driving Matt's rre setup car on the track, I can't stop thinking about the difference.

Getting coilovers setup by john at rre is on the short list now for me to do next on my car...

BTW, getting a coilover dialed in right is much more important imo than which one you get... John spent months perfecting this setup.

blurr
12-15-2003, 08:19 PM
BTW, getting a coilover dialed in right is much more important imo than which one you get... John spent months perfecting this setup.

I would argee. I would bet that for your average driver it wouldn't matter if you went with TEIN, JIC, Pensky, Ohlin, whatever. The most important thing would be to get them set up by someone who knows what they are doing.

On the Evo my only expierience is with the JIC so I can't speak of the rest of the suspension choices. All I can say is that with the JIC's and the setup done by RRE I am turning some pretty silly times at SoW in a fairly unmoded EVO. It really has blown me away.

ItsStockOfficer
12-15-2003, 08:35 PM
Yeah, you save a few hundred bucks to have a suspension that you may have setup to be significantly worse then stock....Tuning fully adjustable suspension is a nesscisity, and few of us are qaulified.

No, if you want good suspension, Having JIC's tuned by Mueller is just about the only worthwhile option I can imagine.

AD_LIB
12-16-2003, 03:03 AM
I am feelin the JIC setup at RRE, has anyone messed with the HKS Hipermax pro coilovers? I have herd good things about them.

IS2000
12-17-2003, 07:31 PM
If you buy Teins, you can have them do the tuning as well. Cost is around $75 a corner though.

gt40
12-17-2003, 08:01 PM
originally posted by blurr
The most important thing would be to get them set up by someone who knows what they are doing...All I can say is that with the JIC's and the setup done by RRE I am turning some pretty silly times at SoW in a fairly unmoded EVO. It really has blown me away.

Again, I was blown away by matts car's cornering ability at SOW- thank you for letting me drive it! I am seeing john in early jan...

erioshi
01-06-2004, 10:26 AM
I have a set of "stock" JICs installed on my Evo. On a track or really smooth pavement they are good; better than stock, but not perfect. On broken or wavy freeway they ride just like any other over-stiff, bouncy, riced out set-up.

I've almost taken them out of my car a couple of times now; each time after a 500+ mile road trip. I've been thinking of calling RRE and seeing what they would charge me to get things sorted out.

Howie
01-06-2004, 10:38 AM
ya.. i am thinking about getting RRE tuned JIC's as well.. does he give socalevo.net members any discounts? 2000 is a bit steep!!

howiEVO8
01-06-2004, 10:46 AM
so like after you get the coilovers and get them tuned...will you ever have to re-tune them?

Howie
01-06-2004, 11:08 AM
so like after you get the coilovers and get them tuned...will you ever have to re-tune them?

it depends... the benefit of coilovers is that they are adjustable. When you take em to the track, you can "tune" or adjust the damper settings so they are stiffer, and you can lower the car even more. Then when you are done at the track, you can re-tune them again, and have a softer damper setting for a more comfortable street ride, and raise it a bit so you don't have clearance issues with everyday driving.

i think when RRE tunes your suspension, they use their own springs based on what you need... then do the damper/height/alignment settings. from what i hear, you can even purchase an extra set of springs, with a different rate, which allows for even more adjustability.

haha.. so to answer your question.. yes. the point of coilovers is so you can easily retune your suspension. :cool:

howiEVO8
01-06-2004, 11:12 AM
lolz...what i meant was..umm...i need sleep..? lolz..nah i meant like...ummm...if they tune them and then you dont do anything to them like no setting changes or anything..after a while, will they have to be "re-tuned"? bah am i making any sense? o.O

JWest
01-06-2004, 01:52 PM
No.

If propperly set-up, they should need no attention for years & years. If you live in rainy/snowy/muddy area regular exterior cleaning and WD-40 coating will keep them happier.

JW

Howie
01-06-2004, 03:15 PM
ya... they like wd-40. :)

howiEVO8
01-06-2004, 06:06 PM
:) k...thats good to know...ummm

are the tanabe coilovers any good

Howie
01-06-2004, 06:13 PM
I'm not too familiar with tanabe coilovers, but i know some evom members have tanabe springs. Most of us purchase mid level coilovers $1500-$2000 range. At that point, your looking at Cusco, TEIN, or JIC. I think they are all pretty much the same, but the key is to get them tuned properly. I have TEIN's, but I think i will sell them to get the JIC's tuned by RRE. Any buyers? 8)

howiEVO8
01-06-2004, 06:14 PM
cuz the new tanable coilvers seem to be a very good value :)

leaveit2bevo
01-06-2004, 06:15 PM
dont get coilovers if you cant hit the max on stock coilovers.

howiEVO8
01-06-2004, 06:18 PM
k another newb question...what is "hit the max"

leaveit2bevo
01-06-2004, 06:32 PM
Ive read that its impossible to be better than car, which im sure is esspecially true with the evo. When you hit the max means that you cant go any faster with the suspension in the stock form, if you cant its pointless to get new coilovers cause your just going to suck on new coilovers.

howiEVO8
01-06-2004, 07:17 PM
oh hehe :) like from doing slalom test and stuff like that?

leaveit2bevo
01-06-2004, 07:18 PM
well just going to a lot of track days. How many canyon and track days have you done? I know majority arent even close to the limits of the evo Im sure as hell not.

howiEVO8
01-06-2004, 07:26 PM
somes i get scared to take it to the limits cuz i dont even know what that is....and im afraid of taking my car too fast on a turn and i skurred to surpass its threshhold...but the adrenanline rush causes me to try to take it faster than the last time...o.O...i need to chill with this...but...coil overs sound so kewl hehe

gt40
01-06-2004, 09:00 PM
originally posted by blurr:

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/jicinfo.htm

He sets them up with non stock JIC spring rates. It is very worth it. -matt

Let's see,

stock - not too bad... better than many "upgrade" sets

jic' factory spring rates and/or not dialed in just right--- go ahead, rattle your teeth out and bounce off that apex because you hit a little bump...(yes I have actually driven with them)

jic's setup by john at rre- well Matt's car just ruined me after driving in it so I have an appointment on friday.

Btw, 2k for precisely setup jic's installed and the correct springs is a steal...

Muellerized...
01-07-2004, 02:26 AM

Until your driving gets up to speed with the cornering capabilities of your EVO, my settings will not be the limiting factor in how much performance you can get out of your car. The vast majority of the customers I have set up over the last 3 years of selling / servicing / testing / tuning/ racing / winning with JIC suspension components still have the spanner height adjusting wrenches and shock adjusting tool in its original sealed packaging as they have never had any need to adjust my settings, because each suspension I sell is adjusted for the specific application that the vehicle is used for, with allowances for different wheel/tire packages, track usage, driving experience level, turbo/motor package, and tolerance for tire wear from aggressive alignments. Re-tuning should only be needed when your performance priorities change, for example someone wanting to trade street ride quality for a better laptime at Laguna Seca or when you can consistently drive at the potential of the chassis, and need the balance of the chassis adjusted to drive the car faster. It will take time to get the most out of your EVO, but it is far easier to learn how to drive quickly in a well set-up car, rather than develop bad driving habits resulting in poor on track lines and inconsistent high performance street driving technique compensating for the terminal understeer the stock EVO chassis has.

See you guys at the track.

Absinthe
01-08-2004, 02:01 PM
John does you set up on tese include corner balancing?

Mike W
01-08-2004, 02:38 PM
John does you set up on tese include corner balancing?

This is from our on-line information located at:

www.roadraceengineering.com/jicinfo.htm

JIC FLT-A2 Set Parts Only $1700
JIC FLT-A2 Set With Set-Up $1800
JIC FLT-A2 Set Installed/Aligned $2000
For wheels wider than 8", certain offsets and wide (245+) tires- add $100 for set up to confirm necessary body clearance.

*The $300 set-up/install/alignment offer is only for suspensions purchased from RRE. We give a substantial savings on our standard labor rates to ensure our customers get full benefit/value from their new suspension system. We do perform set-up on JICs and other types of suspensions purchased elsewhere, and have hands on experience tuning all types of suspensions currently available, but these jobs are billed at the shop labor rate of $60 per hour. Many suspension systems that are sold by ‘discount’ web sites are shipped with springs that are totally inadequate for the application, if needed, springs are available for $70 each. We budget 7 hours of labor for the typical consultation, vehicle disassembly, suspension travel analysis, shock/strut set-up and adjustment, vehicle reassembly, and 4-wheel alignment. These set-ups are adjusted to our favored height ratios that we have developed on track, this is how we adjust to our standard level of corner weighting. Competition corner weighting, is available on our precision scales for $60 per hour additional, usually we can dial in a car which we have set-up in our shop within an hour, depending on the level of accuracy the customer desires and is willing to pay for. Getting the cross weight within one tenth of a percentage point is attainable, but will be billed on an hourly basis. Please email [email protected] for scheduling your appointment, and clarifying any further questions you may have.

Thanks for your interest,

John Mueller