PDA

View Full Version : How to.... *sigh*

Muramasa
12-15-2003, 02:08 PM
How do u drive a manual?? .... I just got the evo... and I dont know how to drive stick.. Joy... I think im the only newb asking this question...

Chris in SD
12-15-2003, 02:16 PM
Bro, your best bet is to buy some lunch or dinner for one of the local guys and have them talk you through it in your car. I think that's how most of us learned. (I learned by stealing my g/f's truck and thrashing around... until she caught me - I was 15... :twisted: )

Good luck and congrats!!

leaveit2bevo
12-15-2003, 02:45 PM
How do u drive a manual?? .... I just got the evo... and I dont know how to drive stick.. Joy... I think im the only newb asking this question...

How did you get the car home? How old are you?

ReHeat
12-15-2003, 03:23 PM
You should learn to drive on a manual beater first, don't want to mess up you brand new Evo you know.

apexstrafer
12-15-2003, 03:40 PM
Evos are notoriously difficult to shift smoothly, even for some people who've been driving sticks for years... Learn on someone else's car before you destroy the Evo's abuse-sensitive clutch.

Can I ask why on earth you got a surface-bound cruise missile for your first manual???

AD_LIB
12-16-2003, 01:51 AM
Feelin you man, this is the first manual I have ever owned myself. Drove a beater honda civic for a month (learned on it/gearbox felt like mush) once while my car was in the shop and i drove my rommies jeep (easy to shift) every once in awhile. Also drove a prelude for a week (again car was in shop) but this is by far and away the hardest car shifting wise I have ever driven, its a complete bitch....but gets better with the clutchline/restrictor removal mod, and practice...I still am herky jerky sometimes so its all good.

leaveit2bevo
12-16-2003, 02:00 AM
Feelin you man, this is the first manual I have ever owned myself. Drove a beater honda civic for a month (learned on it/gearbox felt like mush) once while my car was in the shop and i drove my rommies jeep (easy to shift) every once in awhile. Also drove a prelude for a week (again car was in shop) but this is by far and away the hardest car shifting wise I have ever driven, its a complete bitch....but gets better with the clutchline/restrictor removal mod, and practice...I still am herky jerky sometimes so its all good.

The clutchline/restrictor isnt going to help that much I can drive the car smooth with out those mods. I agree the car is by far the hardest manual I have ever driven, I learned on a RSXtype s if anyone has driven one they know it has to be one of the best manuals transmissions ever. Any ways youll get better with practice and become smooth, then you have to go to the canyons hahahahhaha :twisted:

leaveit2bevo
12-16-2003, 02:08 AM
I just relized I live by you so if you want to learn just hit me up.

Muramasa
01-19-2004, 09:10 PM
woah sorry everyone. I didn't remember putting a post up!! sorry! Oh well my friend drove it back for me. Ive been practicing with it and so far.. i got alot of horrible stall stories =P but now 2-5 gear is ok.. i can sometimes shift without the pull but first gear starting out is hard... i cant seem to find that point. Hmm regarding the suface bound cruise missle =P I had an oz and i always wanted the evo. *cough* too much video games *cough* yeah... i crashed my oz (totalled) and got an evo. I dont see that many evos around me. I know theres a white one and a black one near umm... the city next to temple city... forgot what city that is. San gabriel maybe. Theres a yellow evo always at the library and theres i think 2 silver ones somewhere. =P.

SolarXclipse
01-20-2004, 01:41 AM
Dude, congrats on your new car. It is good that you have an Evo but it is not good to practice driving manual on the Evo. Your Evo's transmission and clutch will soon brake easily. Your best bet is to get a beater car and practice manual on it. That way, your Evo will still be good and would not break since its spanking brand new. Just my opinion. We hope you can learn manual soon so we can see you and your Evo on our meets.

drmosh
01-20-2004, 01:44 AM
A lot of people on these forums will tell you that the EVO might break or whatever. But to truly learn how to drive a manual, you just need to drive it like you mean it. Get out there and hammer it out, that's the only way to learn. You won't break the clutch anymore than some of these knuckleheads in here who think they know how to drive it and have gone through 2 or 3 clutches.

:lol:

Muramasa
01-20-2004, 10:47 AM
*ponder* an evo meet... *ponder* .... ha ha ha.. it will take me 2 times longer to get there than anyone else and if you guys do any canyon runs.. can I go first and then from when I start count down 30 minutes then you guys can start out =P

Howie
01-20-2004, 12:37 PM
hahah.. the evo is my first manual too. I spent a few weeks learning on my friends GSR, with an upgraded clutch. Then I did some practices with the dealer on my test drive.. :grin: then I bought the car, and just kept it under 3000 rpm for a few hundred miles. It's not too hard.. the evo was easier to drive than my friends gsr.

ErroR
01-20-2004, 01:30 PM
The Evo is also my first manual. Stalled like crazy the first couple of days. I taught myself by learning to go up a steep hill for hours at a time. Hell I put 250 miles on it the first 2 days. I am now up to 10,000 miles and no clutch slippage.

Chase101
01-20-2004, 04:24 PM
I agree with ErroR, there is really only one way to learn, Practice, Practice, and more Practice. I just think it's awesome that an Evo is your first stick. Reading this thread reminded of the long list of shitty cars I've owed (that were stick) before my Evo: 89 Mercury Tracer, 89 Isuzu pickup, 91 Ford Ranger, and a 97 Honda Civic Hx(yes HX).

Muramasa
01-20-2004, 05:04 PM
thanks everyone for ure tips. Hmm... it was a bad idea to change shift knob. My shift knob stick's thread is chewed up *sigh*. oh is it bad to slowly let go of clutch when starting out on first?? I hear somepeople just i dont know if this word means the same but dumping the gear?? no idea.. Im just wondering how does everyone shift. Is it possible also to shift at 2k rp, instead of 3k rpm?? Ive been using 3k the whole time. Oh and sorry if this is a really stupid question. I was wondering if you go in reverse fast enough does turbo kick in while going backwords??

ItsStockOfficer
01-20-2004, 06:52 PM
Dumping is removing your foot too fast.

Slipping is removing your foot too slow.

Shift whereever you want.

Turbo spools fine in reverse, but its instant revlimiter. Please don't try this in a confined space. And don't launch in reverse. Its a thinner gear then the rest.

leaveit2bevo
01-20-2004, 07:25 PM
lol I was wondering about the boost in reverse to, im going to go make the bov noise in reverse.

Muramasa
01-20-2004, 10:57 PM
=P thanks everyone =P hmm my previous post dissapeared... i wonder if it got deleted.

Muramasa
01-20-2004, 10:59 PM
i was wondering how do u tell if ure clutch is dying or ure gears are dying?? is there a noise it makes or?? i hate my momo shift knob now. it ate 3 holes into the thread of the shift stick.. *sigh* santa monica mitsu quoted me 62.95 without tax just to order that part. *sigh*

leaveit2bevo
01-20-2004, 11:51 PM
Fuck santa monica mitsu go some place else as for the clutch dying it will start to slip a lot or you rpm's will go up but the car isnt moving the same thats when you know the clutch is dying but I dont think yours is.

GokuSSJ4
01-21-2004, 12:23 AM
man i feel old , went i have 8 years of experience driving manual ....

Cr0mster
01-21-2004, 07:15 PM
Go rent a car and abuse their clutch. Doing this with my GF.

freds4
01-24-2004, 01:55 PM
You are not the first person to think of that, which is precisely why rental car companies don't have cars with manual transmissions.