PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pads

Coolguy949
12-19-2003, 02:50 PM
I'm trying to figure out what brake pads to get. I've got the RoadRace braided lines and i've narrowed it down to this:

CarboTech BobCat Front / Stock Rear

CarboTech Panther Plus Front / CarboTech BobCat Rear

Or I was thinking just staying with the stock pads all together. I'm pretty pleased with them as is. I've also been looking at the Ferrodo 2500+.

What do you guys think...

CarboTech Pads for the Evo can be found here:
http://www.carbotecheng.com/appguide-pads-mitsubishi.htm

A summary of the compounds can be found here:
http://www.carbotecheng.com/prod-ct-compounds.htm

Chris in SD
12-19-2003, 03:35 PM
I need to know this too - I just ordered my Endless 2-piece slotted rotors and SS lines. I will be doing about 2 track days/month + autocross...

leaveit2bevo
12-19-2003, 04:26 PM
A lot of people think that the stock pads and calipers are great its just our rotors suck.

Chris in SD
12-19-2003, 10:35 PM
Pads definitely need an upgrade. Plus the stock fluid can boil pretty quickly. I was looking at Castrol SRF - any other suggestions?

Coolguy949
12-20-2003, 08:55 AM
I was talking to Mike ftom Road Race last night and he said if you're gonna do some track days and you notice the fluid heating up a bit, get some Motul 600....but you should at least start with Castrol Syntec he said. He said it's cheap (~$6 per bottle) and it does its job well. He said no matter what you do though, make sure you use one bottle of Castrol Syntec to at least flush out the old stock fluid. Just run the bottle through the system and flush.

We have sometime in the tech articles section about brake fluid specs.

CACalomino
12-20-2003, 12:20 PM
I used to run Carbotech panther plus's in my civic and mand were they the best pads I ever used the bite so hard and quick responce. UNlike our stolk brakes that stop good but have to be drepressed hard to kick in real good the carbotechs just bite like a rabit dog..... They get my vote

-chris

blurr
12-20-2003, 03:37 PM
I ran Carbotech Panther plus on my RSX and I would agree that they are the best pads I have run. I have had a set of the Panther XP sitting in my garage for a few months. I keep meaning to put them on for the track but never get around to it.

A word of warning on the Carbotech, and most high end brake pads. WASH YOUR WHEELS. The brake dust from the high end pads is somehow different from the stock pads. If you go to the track the wheels will turn black from brake dust. If you let it stay on the wheels for a week baking in the sun you will NEVER get it off without scratching up your wheels.

I have tried Motul 600 and ATE SuperBlue with about the same results. They are both good brake fluids, they resist boiling much more than the stock fluid.

EvolOne
12-20-2003, 04:35 PM
I used to run Carbotech panther plus's in my civic and mand were they the best pads I ever used the bite so hard and quick responce. UNlike our stolk brakes that stop good but have to be drepressed hard to kick in real good the carbotechs just bite like a rabit dog..... They get my vote

-chris

Hey Chris,

Are these CF pads? Do they eat rotors?

Do they work ok when cold too, or only when hot?

Rob

EvolOne
12-20-2003, 04:37 PM
I ran Carbotech Panther plus on my RSX and I would agree that they are the best pads I have run. I have had a set of the Panther XP sitting in my garage for a few months. I keep meaning to put them on for the track but never get around to it.

A word of warning on the Carbotech, and most high end brake pads. WASH YOUR WHEELS. The brake dust from the high end pads is somehow different from the stock pads. If you go to the track the wheels will turn black from brake dust. If you let it stay on the wheels for a week baking in the sun you will NEVER get it off without scratching up your wheels.

I have tried Motul 600 and ATE SuperBlue with about the same results. They are both good brake fluids, they resist boiling much more than the stock fluid.

Are carbotech CF compounds? How much they run? Do they eat rotors?

And what do you know about the rumor it's our rotors that suck? Hmmmm....They seem OK to me.

Coolguy949
12-22-2003, 02:26 PM
Well, I went ahead and ordered the Carbotech Bobcats all they way around. After getting quoted $429 by the dealer I thought no way am I buying the stock ones ever again.

I decided to go with Bobcat instead of Panther + for the front because Matt at Carbotech said they arent good for every day driving as far as rotor friendlyness goes. He said i'll have to resurface my rotors probably every 11 - 13K miles with the Panther +. He said on the track they are amazing but seeing that i'm only going to be doing 4 - 5 track days a year, it's not going to be worth eating up my rotors...and I dont have the money to get a set that are switchable for the track right now. I was going to go with Ferodo but I cant find any info on them and some people say they arent a perfect fit on the evo caliper, they kinda float in there.

So I guess I'll be a guinea pig for the Bobcats. I saved myself almost $200 in pads so that makes me happy. He said they are definately not a downgrade from stock if anyone is wondering.

Chris in SD
12-22-2003, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the info, Rob. Do you have Matt's phone #? I will call him about my slotted rotors and wear.

Coolguy949
12-22-2003, 08:58 PM
Just call my their toll free number and ask for Matt. Its a pretty small office.