PDA

View Full Version : Best Boost controller?

ErroR
12-20-2003, 01:18 PM
Ok I may soon be looking to eek out a bit more power. Anybody have any insight on the best boost controller out there. I have heard good things about the Blitz and HKS but am looking for anyone with first hand experience.

-Dave

G20
12-21-2003, 10:12 PM
I have the old version EBC of Blitz Type-R and it works wonderful for me.

AMS MIKE
12-26-2003, 05:32 PM
Blitz Dual-SBC Spec R is the way to go

GokuSSJ4
12-26-2003, 11:01 PM
what about if you plan to run a piggy back or a flash is there any need to run a MBC ????

ItsStockOfficer
12-26-2003, 11:14 PM
with anything you generally will need a mbc....There my favorite and tend to have the best response...but EVO owners are way to bling to want to pop their hoob for changing boost...

GokuSSJ4
12-27-2003, 02:30 AM
so a MBC is a must then ? i figure that running a unit like Xede , APS or even a flash was more then enough . Or is it went you want to start messing with the boost levels (like went you run 100 octane at the track) but if you plan to leave it alone , then a MBC would be a waste of time wouldnt you think ? since the piggy backs or a flash can be set to run 19psi till red line and left alone , since that would be tune safely and not over boost with a MBC ..

ItsStockOfficer
12-27-2003, 11:52 AM
With a flash you can run 19 psi till red line, with a piggy back you cannot and need a mbc. If all you need is 19 psi and pump gas then don't get one if you get flashed.

GokuSSJ4
12-27-2003, 01:43 PM
i thought that went you ran a piggy like Xede and APS it held the boost till 19psi till red line . not having the need of a MBC .Like went doing Vinshu stage 1 it runs just the Xede with a signature exhaust and dont have the need for a mbc . holding boost to 20psi till red line ..

rizalhoo
01-06-2004, 10:29 PM
sorry but whats a MBC? Is it Manual Boost Controller? anyhow talking bout manual boost controller, i notice that they are mad cheap compared to the EBC, they goes from $50-100s, im wondering if anyone has a manual boost controller? how is it? what advantage does the EBC has compare to the manual boost controller other than the EBC has nicer looks.

does anyone knows a good manual boost controller?

sorry for asking so many questions at one time

To Error: sorry bro dont meant to change the subject or take over or whatsoever, I was thinking to start a new thread but saw yours and I think just might as well ask in here. =)

blitzkrgCT9A
01-06-2004, 11:04 PM
I like the Blitz SBC-ID versions. Also don't forget to add the power meter feature. :)

ItsStockOfficer
01-06-2004, 11:41 PM
I have a Joe-P MBC on my car from www.boostcontroller.com

Works great, very steady.

rizalhoo
01-07-2004, 12:00 AM
I have a Joe-P MBC on my car from www.boostcontroller.com

Works great, very steady.

do u have an air fuel controller? the other time i was about to install a boost controller at xs engineering and then they suggest me to get an air fuel controller for MAX boost as they said.

rizalhoo
01-07-2004, 12:04 AM
one other thing, should i get the dual stage manual boost controller as you can set 2 psi reading and can simply just switch from one boost level to another...should i?

ItsStockOfficer
01-07-2004, 12:47 AM
AWD cars don't need a dual stage MBC...

And the evo can handle making the boost stay at 19 psi till redline, no prob.

GokuSSJ4
01-07-2004, 01:22 AM
since you have been in to DSM cars for a while, can you explain what the difference between MBC and EBC is ?? what are the pros and cons ???

ItsStockOfficer
01-07-2004, 05:33 PM
since you have been in to DSM cars for a while, can you explain what the difference between MBC and EBC is ?? what are the pros and cons ???MBC's cause the turbo to spool a bit faster, by construction, but I don't know if the difference is really noticeable. Its one of those things thats obviously true when you see how they work, but doesn't seem to make a big affect.

Both kinds can spike or not, its hard to say, although the Greddy Profec B is the most stable EBC in my experiance, while most ball and spring style MBC are about equal.

It all really comes down to cost Vs. convience. I have a MBC and change my boost about once a month for racing and itrs no big deal to me. To save 250 dollars over that is a great deal as far as im concerned.

rizalhoo
01-07-2004, 05:49 PM
In your opinion, when ones ought to get a EBC or MBC, should he also get an air fuel controller to maximise of use of boosting the car with the MBC or EBC?

perversity
01-07-2004, 06:34 PM
I have a MBC sitting in the closet waiting to get installed. I will let you know the install procedure and results when it happens.

With a MBC you can adjust the boost by turning the knob. The advantage of having a knob in the cabin rather than in the engine bay is the ability to adjust the boost whilst driving/tuning without having to walk around to the front of the car.

My advice is to get your MBC dialed in on a dyno, especially with the crappy fuel we have here in CA. In which case, you can put the boost controller in the engine bay, set the boost level and then forget about it!

A dual stage MBC allows you to swtich between one boost level and another. This would be helpful if you have a lower boost setting for 91 octane on the streets and another for higher octane on the track.

The electronic boost controllers are smart, and can back off boost if they detect a problem. Manual Boost controllers can not, so it is important to fit a good mechanical boost guage when you fit a boost controller.

The electronic boost controllers such as the Greddy profec B have 2 settings, so you can set a high and low boost in a similar way to the dual MBC described above.

rizalhoo
01-07-2004, 07:13 PM
I have a MBC sitting in the closet waiting to get installed. I will let you know the install procedure and results when it happens.

With a MBC you can adjust the boost by turning the knob. The advantage of having a knob in the cabin rather than in the engine bay is the ability to adjust the boost whilst driving/tuning without having to walk around to the front of the car.

My advice is to get your MBC dialed in on a dyno, especially with the crappy fuel we have here in CA. In which case, you can put the boost controller in the engine bay, set the boost level and then forget about it!

A dual stage MBC allows you to swtich between one boost level and another. This would be helpful if you have a lower boost setting for 91 octane on the streets and another for higher octane on the track.

The electronic boost controllers are smart, and can back off boost if they detect a problem. Manual Boost controllers can not, so it is important to fit a good mechanical boost guage when you fit a boost controller.

The electronic boost controllers such as the Greddy profec B have 2 settings, so you can set a high and low boost in a similar way to the dual MBC described above.

oh yeah! this really helps! Thanks a lot. let us know when you've installed your MBC, and if you dont mind let us know where and for how much is the installation if you go to a store and do it =)

Coolguy949
01-07-2004, 07:17 PM
Installing an MBC is extremely easy. Basically you're running a vac line from the wastegate to the MBC, then a line from the boost source nipple after the turbo to the other end of the MBC.

rizalhoo
01-07-2004, 07:18 PM
In your opinion, when ones ought to get a EBC or MBC, should he also get an air fuel controller to maximise of use of boosting the car with the MBC or EBC?

how bout that? do u need an air fuel controller? sorry for being so annoying that kept asking the same question many times, but I really want to know and hope to learn from someone here and also I might getting myself an air fuel control with MBC or EBC.

Coolguy949
01-07-2004, 07:21 PM
no, you dont need a fuel controller to have a boost controller the stock evo is rich already. It gives you some headroom to up the boost. It's a good idea to have some type of fuel control later though to maximize your evos potential. But you dont have to pair up a boost controler with a fual controller to use it.

rizalhoo
01-07-2004, 08:09 PM
WOW! Thanks Rob for the info =)

ItsStockOfficer
01-08-2004, 01:02 AM

EBC's do NOT back off the boost, and they have absolutlkey no way of detecting a problem...They are a little electronic device that opens and close a solenoid to bleed of air. Nothing more and nothing less(although some like the avcr can control the solenoid in enough ways to confuse a math major)

Coolguy949
01-08-2004, 08:28 AM
You can set your overboost limit (warning limit) on some of the more complicated EBC and it will back off boost if it hits that point.

gt40
01-08-2004, 08:54 AM
sorry but whats a MBC? Is it Manual Boost Controller? anyhow talking bout manual boost controller, i notice that they are mad cheap compared to the EBC, they goes from $50-100s, im wondering if anyone has a manual boost controller? how is it? what advantage does the EBC has compare to the manual boost controller other than the EBC has nicer looks.

does anyone knows a good manual boost controller?
They all work the same. Make sure it locks or can be fixed in the setting so it doesn't change boost inadvertantly.

I have been running an mbc for 4 months to set boost on my gt40 turbo. It has worked just fine. You have to respect them though. It is easy to be tempted to keep turning up the boost...

I still have mine but am just changing to a solenoid and having the aem ems control boost. I have run the mbc for 2 months with the aem btw....

ItsStockOfficer
01-08-2004, 04:13 PM
You can set your overboost limit (warning limit) on some of the more complicated EBC and it will back off boost if it hits that point.

If it boosts more then its suposed to, you either have a broken EBC, in which case its a moot point, or you are beyond the boost control ability of your wg, in which case it can't do shit. Thats advertising for people afraid and not understand their turbo systems.

trev0006
01-20-2004, 02:50 AM
when installing the MBC, do you also have to unplug anything else? like the stock boost Solenoid? or you just install it as coolguy949 stated?

Coolguy949
01-20-2004, 09:42 AM
I unplugged the stock BCS.