PDA

View Full Version : stand alone tuning issues...

gt40
12-21-2003, 10:24 PM
Anyone considering a stand alone needs to check out this thread:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55473

My aem is running pretty tight now btw so it is possible to get these things to work right... thank you to brainstorm for not blowing up the motor like other folks! I wish we had technical posts like this over here more...

food for thought...

MrBubbler
12-21-2003, 10:45 PM
eh i wish i never saw that but i guess its good because i wont have to buy another turbo ...... thanks for the heads up =)

gt40
12-21-2003, 11:17 PM
Mr. Bubbles:

The aem is amazing... it is also a computer. Garbage instruction in = blown turbo out... you need to absolutely know what you are doing with a stand alone like the aem and the pecularitiies to a specific car.

Roshon has been aem certified for years. He has made short work of most of the issues in the thread and my motor is fine. You get what you pay for. In anycase, don't let anyone near your car with any standalone unless you see them having properly tuned cars already running on it.

Doing an AEM is not a reflash. You had better know what the hell you are doing... I love mine btw.... All four wheels are spinning when the boost hits in 1st already!

Good luck

MrBubbler
12-21-2003, 11:47 PM
after the chunk of change i droped down for everything im getting i decided to spend the extra and get Roshon to tune my car, seeing he has already tuned yours i figured its better to go with some one as smart as roshon and some one who has already tuned a evo with the ems. i was wondering if you could think of anything else i really needed with my set up which is going to be:
-rnr GT35R kit with tial waste gate
-rnr FMIC with lower and upper piping with(2.5 inch)
-tial BOV
-hks 272 272 cams
-ARP head studs
-3 inch turbo back(o2 elim down pipe)
-3 inch custom cold air intake
- perrin fuel rail
- walboror fuel pump
-PWR radiator
-unorthadox pully kit :bigglasses:

gt40
12-22-2003, 12:00 AM
what are you trying to build this for ? hp target, torque target? roadrace or drag? you can get past 600 hp btw with these gt35/40 kits and the right supporting internals and headwork... Also, do you want to build something to last for a while or are you building a drag motor you will rebuild frequently?

As far as completing the mods...once you get to the 400 whp to 450 range its time to get serious and think internals... especially the rods and valve train- springs etc. you should consider doing the right headwork and add rods + you need to add injectors for a start. I have heard conflicting reports about the radiators... My car is running cool at the mid 400hp range with the stock one. Don't forget to budget for a new clutch!

hope that helps

MrBubbler
12-22-2003, 12:07 AM
this is not going to be daily drivin and i plan to take it willow springs and possibly to drag it once in awhile, i do by the way love to drive to malibu and pick fights with any sports car on the road, i do want it to last awhile but i am willing to pop for the full rebuild of the engine later down the road and not now though because of lack of funds =X

gt40
12-22-2003, 12:15 AM
Cool,

Talk to Roshon but he will proly tell you in his conservative world the stock internals are good for 480 whp if you tune things right and have the right package. That is seriously fast with the right clutch too at the drag strip. Suggest rps with an aluminum flywheel like i have. Mine is 8 pounds and it really makes a difference in rev matching on the track as well has spoolup I haven't seriously dragged it but I am running 3.8 0-60's with a 1.70 60 ft time on the logging...

you can hurt most anyone with a 400 + awd car :twisted:

MrBubbler
12-22-2003, 12:31 AM
thats what im looking forward to! i just had roshon install my cusco twin carbon disk clutch and couldnt be more happy with it! its kinda noisy, actualy its really noisy but it is just amazing! roshon did a perfect job installing it also = ) i will be contacting him some time next week about the ems tunning , i just hope i dont have major issues with the ems

gt40
12-22-2003, 12:37 AM
He will make sure you don't have any problems and take care of you if you do...

Good luck

MrBubbler
12-22-2003, 01:13 AM
why is this!!! i wont need the tuning for about another week and a half... he should have dyno up and working by then right>?

GokuSSJ4
12-22-2003, 10:12 AM
i hope that he does , but he got delay by the city .

Coolguy949
12-22-2003, 11:58 AM
I heard they also need to have their dyno plugged in since they just moved...

MrBubbler
12-22-2003, 12:04 PM
= / it looked like it was some what in place last time i was in their but probably not hooked up like you said = / maybe i get dynoflahsed until then ........................

GokuSSJ4
12-22-2003, 12:45 PM
MrBubbler what mods do you have now ?? Also what did you do with the Xede that you have in your car ? Im sure in the future you plan to do a fully built up and i think i read that your were planning on running the EMS .
Whats your take on the Xede? is it worth? it for some one not doing a fully built up just bolts on and still with the stock Turbo

MrBubbler
12-22-2003, 04:40 PM
goku thses are my mods as of now but they are being installed at this current state :wink:
-tial BOV
-hks 272 272 cams
-ARP head studs
- perrin fuel rail
- walboror fuel pump
-PWR radiator
-unorthadox pully kit
- perrin fuel rail
- walboro fuel pump
the xede is a great unit it makes alot of usable hp and makes the evo alot better after 5k rpm pulls to redline!!! liked that it was tunable and you could run 2 diffrent maps and use a switch to change them i was using 91 and 100 octane maps = ) , but i sold the xede and already purchased the aem ems with uego sensor so i wont be using the xede because i figured with the mod route i was going the ems would be what i needed to get the most out of my new turbo = ) but it seems now AEM is pissing me off and i dont even have it installed, just all the problems . why couldnt r&d come up with these problems and solved them in the first place! i mean if you purchase a 1500 standalone you would expect it to fucking work right ! :evil:

Coolguy949
12-22-2003, 04:49 PM
Adam,

You should consider getting a thicker head gasket (HKS or something) and the GReddy timing belt since you're in there already. My friend has a 430 whp eclipse GSX and he shreds the stock timing belt like grating a block of cheese if he pushes it too hard.

EvolOne
12-22-2003, 04:51 PM
goku thses are my mods as of now but they are being installed at this current state :wink:
-tial BOV
-hks 272 272 cams
-ARP head studs
- perrin fuel rail
- walboror fuel pump
-PWR radiator
-unorthadox pully kit
- perrin fuel rail
- walboro fuel pump
the xede is a great unit it makes alot of usable hp and makes the evo alot better after 5k rpm pulls to redline!!! liked that it was tunable and you could run 2 diffrent maps and use a switch to change them i was using 91 and 100 octane maps = ) , but i sold the xede and already purchased the aem ems with uego sensor so i wont be using the xede because i figured with the mod route i was going the ems would be what i needed to get the most out of my new turbo = ) but it seems now AEM is pissing me off and i dont even have it installed, just all the problems . why couldnt r&d come up with these problems and solved them in the first place! i mean if you purchase a 1500 standalone you would expect it to fucking work right ! :evil:

What is the piggyback that Roshon likes? An APS something? I know it's not an Xede, and he says his does better than the Xede. Anyone know whawt I'm talking about or am I off my meds again?

R2

MrBubbler
12-22-2003, 05:24 PM
yes its the APS piggy back! your fine but you could always share your meds with me... i like the blue ones and the green ones and and and = P , buit for us who live in the la area i think the aps one would be a better deal cause you could have roshon tune it for the upmost hp yeld = )

ItsStockOfficer
12-23-2003, 03:44 PM
Adam,

You should consider getting a thicker head gasket (HKS or something) and the GReddy timing belt since you're in there already. My friend has a 430 whp eclipse GSX and he shreds the stock timing belt like grating a block of cheese if he pushes it too hard.

Then he's installing them wrong. Period.

Chris in SD
12-23-2003, 05:24 PM
Toda makes a very strong timing belt...

GokuSSJ4
12-23-2003, 09:53 PM
yeah but everything with the performance industry attends to be that way . Even if sometimes you end up spending top dollars . I spended about 1100 on a clutch and flywheel set up , to have the best and handle the TQ that the car was making and i busted the clutch at least 3 times . It was a pain in the ass going throught the hassle of changing it . Even doh (which im glad ) that they replace it with no problems , I still had to pay for the labor installation which suck .....:(

Mike W
12-26-2003, 03:46 PM
why couldnt r&d come up with these problems and solved them in the first place! i mean if you purchase a 1500 standalone you would expect it to fucking work right !

You have it all fingered out now though right? You are current with the way it all turned out and that the issues are old, correct? Dude that started that thread was an early beta tester and his installed did not fully inform him. This issue has been fully adressed and fixed by AEM.

http://forum.aempower.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=6217

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55862

And fer cryin out loud, timing belts dont shred when you push the car hard. Timing belts shred when an old 60k+ mile part fails or if installed wrong.

Mike W