PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Help

Temjin
01-04-2004, 04:15 PM
Sup Guys,

A few of you members might have already replaced your clutch. Would appreciate it if you would name some dealerships that had it repaired under warrenty or at a lower price. My clutch has major slippage in third to fiifth gear. :cry:

Coolguy949
01-04-2004, 05:19 PM
I would go to HB Mitsubishi.

drmosh
01-04-2004, 07:38 PM
Sup Guys,

A few of you members might have already replaced your clutch. Would appreciate it if you would name some dealerships that had it repaired under warrenty or at a lower price. My clutch has major slippage in third to fiifth gear. :cry:

How many miles you got on that thing now?

Temjin
01-04-2004, 08:08 PM
Sup Guys,

How many miles you got on that thing now?

22,300 miles

pangaroo
01-04-2004, 08:38 PM
Hey Temjin,

Long time no see bro. As for the clutch, dont bother with the District manager of mitsu, i talked with him and he said pretty much.. too bad. Pay for the tear down first, then we'll talk.

Hopefully HB mitsu will be helpful. With 23,000 miles though, i doubt many people would be sympathetic.

Seems like you have had the longest life from a stock clutch. How sad it is that I am so amazed that one of our clutches actually broke 20K miles.

Good luck man! If things dont go well, maybe you can compromise. My dealership agreed to put an aftermarket clutch for me as long as I paid for the part since they new I wanted one eventually. Then again, I only had 1000 miles when mine started slipping.

Temjin
01-04-2004, 09:10 PM
Hey Temjin,

Long time no see bro. As for the clutch, dont bother with the District manager of mitsu, i talked with him and he said pretty much.. too bad. Pay for the tear down first, then we'll talk.

Hopefully HB mitsu will be helpful. With 23,000 miles though, i doubt many people would be sympathetic.

Seems like you have had the longest life from a stock clutch. How sad it is that I am so amazed that one of our clutches actually broke 20K miles.

Good luck man! If things dont go well, maybe you can compromise. My dealership agreed to put an aftermarket clutch for me as long as I paid for the part since they new I wanted one eventually. Then again, I only had 1000 miles when mine started slipping.

This will be my 3rd clutch!!! My first clutch started slipping at 5,000-6,000 miles. At evolutionm.net, one owner said that his clutch was replaced four times already :shock: . Think I better take your advice, and get a stronger aftermarket clutch.

Been calling the dealerships, and the prices ranged from $ 1,000 to $1,600 for stock clutch and labor.
The cheapest place was HB Mitsu.- Thanks for the advice guys-guess I'll try going there.

Coolguy949
01-04-2004, 09:20 PM
I'm at almost 17k and my cltuch is fine. I drive my car very hard. How do you guys launch your car from a stop, how long to you hold the clutch between shifts?

kaisho99
01-04-2004, 09:51 PM
...How sad it is that I am so amazed that one of our clutches actually broke 20K miles.

Extremely since by 91 CRX lasted 200K (no joke) then again there's no real power there but still.

This will be my 3rd clutch!!! My first clutch started slipping at 5,000-6,000 miles. At evolutionm.net, one owner said that his clutch was replaced four times already . Think I better take your advice, and get a stronger aftermarket clutch.

Been calling the dealerships, and the prices ranged from $ 1,000 to $1,600 for stock clutch and labor.
The cheapest place was HB Mitsu.- Thanks for the advice guys-guess I'll try going there.

Why would you keep putting in the stock clutch when it appears to blow so bad?

ItsStockOfficer
01-04-2004, 10:55 PM
The fact you kept putting it stock clutches is....silly.

Temjin
01-04-2004, 11:03 PM
I'm at almost 17k and my cltuch is fine. I drive my car very hard. How do you guys launch your car from a stop, how long to you hold the clutch between shifts?

1.Slip

rev to desired RPM, while slowly releasing the clutch until engangment. Then release completely. Can get more variation in the intensity of the launch, but will burn the clutch using this method(Can usually smell it).

2. Dump

rev it up to 5,000 to 5,500 rpm, and basically pop the clutch, while flooring the accelerator. Any lower RPM's, and the car will usuallly bog. I got the best launches this way.

Do anyone else use similar methods. Or is there another way to get a better launch.

pangaroo
01-04-2004, 11:23 PM
launch the car from a stop... evo owners never do that what are you guys talking about, its against warranty :lol:

howiEVO8
01-04-2004, 11:42 PM
it is? lolz

alex_alex
01-04-2004, 11:48 PM
The fact you kept putting it stock clutches is....silly.

Its not silly if putting in a new stock clutch will save your drivetrain warranty.

Temjin
01-05-2004, 12:29 AM
How long to you hold the clutch between shifts?

For maximum acceleration, shift at the end of the torque range of 6,500 rpm(stock evo).

-releasing instantly or banging the clutch between shifts saves you time-But the time is fractional to the amount of time that you lose if you miss a shift. Unless I'm in a simple drag race, I rarely pop my clutch. I usually release my clutch gently with finesse (1/2 second delay).

?

GokuSSJ4
01-05-2004, 12:35 AM
sorry to hear about your experience , but since it seems to have problems with this . I would recommend IMO an aftermarket clutch and have the dealer install it for free or something ...Talk to them to see what you guys can come to an agreement

Howie
01-05-2004, 10:40 AM
About a month ago I accidentally slip launched it, which completely roasted my clutch. It had the nasty burnt clutch smell for almost 24 hrs, and was slipping pretty badly. After about 100 miles or so of driving, it eventually went back to normal.

Now, 1000 miles later with the odo at 7500 miles, it is starting to slip again. Oh, and i never launch my car (besides that accidental one!).

leaveit2bevo
01-05-2004, 11:57 AM
That is strange I can name at least 5 occasions where I slip launched the clutch and roasted the shit out of it and it is still fine. My engagment is now a little higher but the clutch dosent slip at all.

ItsStockOfficer
01-05-2004, 03:46 PM
Umm, if the clutch is being covered under warranty and you have paid for 3k in clutch installs,....you have spent more on it then anything that could break costs.

Heat kils clutches, not abuse...

and I launch by revving to 6k, slipping until the car is moving just a hair, then drop the hell out of it. God enough for low 1.7 60 ft's.

Coolguy949
01-05-2004, 03:52 PM
Unless you're having tranny problems and they need to pull off the tranny, I dont see how the dealer would be able to even know you have an aftermarket clutch....unless of course it's a triple plate 5000 psi clutch or something that take an olympian to push. The dealer isnt going to waste time and money pulling apart your tranny just to check if you have an aftermarket clutch. Yeah, there's an opening where you can look in to check.....just paint your ACT black and they wont know haha.

perversity
01-05-2004, 07:06 PM
If you are on your 3rd clutch already then you need to change your driving technique! I am at 11k on the stock clutch with no problems at all....

ngentot
01-05-2004, 10:41 PM
If you are on your 3rd clutch already then you need to change your driving technique! I am at 11k on the stock clutch with no problems at all....

call mather's autocare and talk to Jason. They are located in the city of orange. I believe he charges 325 includes resurfacing the flywheel.

Dr. Evo
01-05-2004, 10:52 PM
FYI: I am am a Mits. Master Tech in San Luis Obispo (Mod Friendly---Don't kill me!) and what the procedure would be is:

1. You come in saying your clutch just "Went Out"
2. We verify warranty coverage and procede.
3. Once we had it apart, if there was an a/market clutch it would be customer pay at that point (No faking it then--every Evo part warrantied is being called back by Mits for inspection right now, becausethe Evo is responsible for 60% of ALL warranty costs for Mits in Japan).
4. If you don't want to pay at that point, your car leaves on the hook with the trans in the trunk. It will NOT be put back together for you, beacause the tech would not get paid for his work (flat rate). Mind you that a friendly dealer tech such as myself will do his best to cover anything I could, and look the other way from mods, but if the mod DIRECTLY caused the failure, it will be VERY hard to warranty. In fact, any one near the San Luis Obispo area is encouraged to bring your Evo (Or any other Mits) to me for the best Mod-Friendly work anywhere :lol: . Okay enough of that crap...
Jeremy Sosa

ngentot
01-05-2004, 10:56 PM
FYI: I am am a Mits. Master Tech in San Luis Obispo (Mod Friendly---Don't kill me!) and what the procedure would be is:

3. Once we had it apart, if there was an a/market clutch it would be customer pay at that point (No faking it then--every Evo part warrantied is being called back by Mits for inspection right now, becausethe Evo is responsible for 60% of ALL warranty costs for Mits in Japan).
4. If you don't want to pay at that point, your car leaves on the hook with the trans in the trunk. It will NOT be put back together for you, beacause the tech would not get paid for his work (flat rate). Mind you that a friendly dealer tech such as myself will do his best to cover anything I could, and look the other way from mods, but if the mod DIRECTLY caused the failure, it will be VERY hard to warranty. In fact, any one near the San Luis Obispo area is encouraged to bring your Evo (Or any other Mits) to me for the best Mod-Friendly work anywhere :lol: . Okay enough of that crap...
Jeremy Sosa

This is where the consumer better business beraue comes in!

Dr. Evo
01-05-2004, 11:03 PM
???

perversity
01-05-2004, 11:04 PM
FYI: I am am a Mits. Master Tech in San Luis Obispo...
Jeremy Sosa

Hey, that's good to know. thanks v. much for your input and your mod-freindly attitude! This matter of fact reply is exactly the sort of feedback we need to see more of.

Dr. Evo
01-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Tell it like it is :lol:
Seriously though- no worries about the mods here unless you are trying to warranty an aftermarket part through us (it happens).
Jeremy Sosa

Temjin
01-05-2004, 11:35 PM

Jeremy Sosa

I'll be there

Thank you for your input :)