PDA

View Full Version : Anyone of you have kartboy short shift?

bcmind
01-04-2004, 09:16 PM
How was it? was it hard to install?

i really wanna get one...

Coolguy949
01-04-2004, 09:35 PM
I too am curious about this...

kaisho99
01-04-2004, 09:44 PM
I just got one for xmas (yay! wife listened hehe :wink: ) but haven't put it in yet because I wanted lancershop's metal bushings. Should get them tuesday.

I'll be putting it in next weekend using this guide (http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25579&highlight=shifter+install) and I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully I don't jack it up hehe. Wish me luck.

I was rather disappointed it came with no instructions. :cry:

kaisho99
01-10-2004, 03:44 PM
Woohoo! My first "real" mod!

Crap that was freakin easy I gotta say. Anyone that can put together some press board Ikea crap can do it no problem. :lol: Following the above instructions that Evilution made you can't go wrong. Just take your time with the panels, he broke some of the plastic retainers and you really can avoid it.

The only thing that makes me want to go back in there is there was no grease provided with Katboy's shifter like the B&M one and I just thought about that after I ripped everything apart. And frankly I didn't want to go try to find some, not even sure what kind you should use. Anyone :?: There was a good amount already on the stock pieces so I just kinda smeared some from it to the new throw. /shrug. But I think it should be greased up more in hind sight.

I also replace the bushings with Lancershops metal ones. Very sweet and tight setup. Shifts into second are almost too tight but that I think is my fault. Think I tighted the front most bolt that hold the shifter retainer assemply together, a bit too tightly.

Oh! BYE A NEW RETAINER PART (MR2462). The stock one ain't gonna come off unless you want to break metal welds. For 15-16 bucks it's totally worth it.

All in all it's crazy easy so go do it !! Contact me if you have any questions, be glad to help.

Coolguy949
01-10-2004, 05:58 PM
So, how does it drive??

kaisho99
01-11-2004, 08:50 AM
Very nice!! (except for the stiff shift problems I mentioned from over tightening a bolt).

But the metal bushings are awesome, the entire assembly is rock solid now. Lancershop said some people find more vibration (since there's no longer rubber bushing to absorb it) but I haven't noticed anything yet.

kaisho99
01-12-2004, 09:16 AM
Just got some helpful info from Tom at kartboy...thought I'd pass it along.

...For the grease I'd recommend using some white lithium grease. You can get a small tube from any parts store or home depot. Small tube shouldnąt be more than a few bucks. That should help the smoothness. It might take a few days to get everything to seat there too.

GokuSSJ4
01-12-2004, 12:31 PM
thanks for the write up on it !!! good info :)

han74j
04-12-2004, 07:27 PM
i have the Kartboy short shifter!

the install 2 out 10 in terms of how hard was it to install!

wow can i say u can feel a difference right away! im sure the perrin, and the B$M or B$B one will be teh same! you feel like you can shift into gears better! the gears doesn't feel as lose! over all 10 out of 10!

it takes about 20-30 mins to install depending how ur skill lvl! but u should install the shifter bushing with the short shifter! kill 2 birds with 1 stone! ya heres the other post about best mods for under 250!

http://www.socalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1832&highlight=250

prosailortim
04-13-2004, 09:29 AM
Email Tom at Kartboy.... He met me at his shop in San Diego early one Sunday morning... spent the rest of the day having fun at the zoo. Tom made me a "Sweet" cash deal on a shifter w/knob, exhaust hanger bushings plus free installation. He also had a spare stereo relocation kit he sold me for $25.00.

I brought both of my boys with me. He gave them free shirts, stickers, temporary tattoos, candy, and bottled water. Tom is one hell of a nice guy and is an Evo owner as well.

Least expensive mod I've made so far.... and my shifting is exact and percise now.... well worth the $$$$$

Takashi
04-13-2004, 10:37 AM
tom is a great guy, and i've dealt with him numerous times (never in person unfortunately). his products are top knotch, and customer service is the best!

the ss and bushing (i'll probably go with the kb poly ones) will most likely be my first mod...

Takashi
04-13-2004, 10:38 AM
oh, and when i installed a kb shifter in my wrx, i just smeared the grease from the oem shifter onto the ball of the kb one and it worked fine. no need for additional grease...

ObsoleteAsian
04-13-2004, 12:07 PM
I have a kartboy. honestly a great product. From experiencing around 4-5 shifters. This hits my favorite. Just because it doesn't give you a weak feeling. IT does what you want when you push it.

BSREVO
04-13-2004, 03:24 PM
i just installed my kartboy, i love it. it really smoothness the 1st to 2nd gear shifts. i would say to go ahead and change the bushings too.

han74j
04-13-2004, 03:39 PM
yup they sure does have great customer service!! after i got my shifter i posted a post on evom saying how good their service was! and everyone that posted only had good things to say and no bad!! so love them!!