PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up the threads

perversity
01-06-2004, 04:13 PM
Hi there

As you can see from my login status I am a moderator here on the forum. There are 5 of us that moderate the forum, organize the meets, build relationships with vendors and dealers and arrange track days and the like. As I am sure you can imagine, this takes up a lot of our time. Time that we give freely so that you, the members, can be part of the best Evo owners club in the country!

I may only be speaking for myself here, but I don't think so....

Moderating this forum is a lot of hard work. We need to be sure that the content is somewhat politically correct (and we are fairly lenient). We need to sort out the little flame wars between people who don't always agree with each other. We need to remove excessive profanity and we also need to come up with interesting, relevant content to keep people reading the forum.

Recently I have noticed one or two of our forum members posting useless, irrelevant comments on threads that are old or dead. These same people seem to carry on conversations in threads that have no bearing on the topic in hand. I don't know what these individuals are trying to achieve, but I am getting fed up with having to trawl through this benign content whilst reading or moderating the forums.

My first inclination was just to start deleting the posts and clearing up the forum. But that's not something I am willing to put the time and effort into. Also we are keen to make SocalEvo.net a member's club, run with a certain amount of democracy and input from its members. After all, without the members the club is nothing. So I refrained.

So, I ask you, the members to constructively discuss on this thread the way you want us moderators to deal with the content on the forums.

I'll start the ball rolling by suggesting that the Installs and How-to's forum should not contain idle chit-chat about installs. I suggest that questions about the installs should be PMd to the author of the article and if the question is relevant then the author will include it in the article. To facilitate this I suggest that only moderators and the author of the articles have the ability to post in the articles.

OK, now it's your turn. Remember, constructive suggestions only. I will personally delete any posts in this thread that are not relevant to the topic to prove my point.

Remember, we as a club have to come up with some policies here, so if you don't make any suggestions the moderators will make up the policies without your input.

ReHeat
01-06-2004, 04:55 PM
I think as long as everybody uses common sense, and refrain himself/herself from going too off topic from the original thread we'll be fine. Also, please refrain from posting useless posts in all the forums other than the Off-Topic forum, this way the other forums would not get clottered and people can find the information they're looking for.

howiEVO8
01-06-2004, 05:58 PM
yea i did that on accident an was threaten on being banned...wtheezy

howiEVO8
01-06-2004, 05:59 PM
but yes...fair enuff :)

perversity
01-06-2004, 06:07 PM
The above double post is a fine example of what I am trying to prevent with this discussion. howiEVO8, thank you for so finely demonstrating the sort of stuff I want to get rid of, for the benefit of everyone else.

Now, does anyone else have any constructive input?

howiEVO8
01-06-2004, 06:21 PM
lolz!! yes im sorry i will work on this...sometimes i actually dont realize im doing it...i'll think about something post...and then..realize i wasn't finished...and need to ask something else or add something..but then again...that's why that edit button is there...! I WILL WORK ON THIS...and sooner then you know...i'll stop do it :)

but threating to ban me because i accidentally posted in the wrong forum or something like that is totally unprofessional and uncalled for...bah...

however, now that you bring it up and point it out...i'll start trying to remember to hit edit :)

leaveit2bevo
01-06-2004, 06:23 PM
I agree I dont use evom anymore beuase you cant ask a question with out a thousand people getting on your ass for no reason. I dont want to see socalevo turn into that mess. As for Howievo8 and goku they are just trying to catch my post count hahahahahahhaha EDIT I just realized my post count was reset nm the above comment.

howiEVO8
01-06-2004, 06:25 PM
ummm...trippin dood lolz...i could care less about post count...quite honestly :)

as a matter of fact...i don't even know how many i have hehe...wait..(i just looked) 150? oh...bah..i never even payed attention to that..post count..lolz...i might sound like an OWL for saying this...but..who? who? WHO CARES!?!?! hahahA

perversity
01-06-2004, 06:29 PM
but threating to ban me because i accidentally posted in the wrong forum or something like that is totally unprofessional and uncalled for...bah...

Yep, you are right about that. We haven't yet decided on formal guidelines for banning members (we have only banned 1 I think). We are going to impliment a 3 warning system. These are things that are still in the works so you will have to bare with us while we iron out the wrinkles. once again, the whole purpose of this thread is to try and get some concensus of opinion on this stuff.

howiEVO8, feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this further...

leaveit2bevo
01-06-2004, 06:36 PM

Yep, you are right about that. We haven't yet decided on formal guidelines for banning members (we have only banned 1 I think). We are going to impliment a 3 warning system. These are things that are still in the works so you will have to bare with us while we iron out the wrinkles. once again, the whole purpose of this thread is to try and get some concensus of opinion on this stuff.

howiEVO8, feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this further...

Unless someone is trying to screw up the forums and says bad things about the club I dont think anyone should get banned. On evom the gay mods would send warning and ban for the dumbest things. I cant speak my mind on evom without getting banned. I think unless we get another case like slowpoe nobody should get banned.

xxfairenoughxx
01-06-2004, 06:51 PM
I agree completely with what you said and I thank you for all your hard work in keeping the site up so all of us can have a place to go to hit up all the people in the area that appreciate their ride as much as we do. THANKS!!!!

howiEVO8
01-06-2004, 07:05 PM
well...see that's how i was feeling with socalevo.net when i got that "lame" warning...bah...i felt like this was a dictatorship forum or something...

but dont get me wrong...i DOknow how much work it is to moderate a forum and at times before i've felt like no one appreciates us...and
I DO appreciate cool mods ;) who don't power trip and don't feel like they need to be hitler and dictate how everyone should speak, think or feel...

with mods like that, i can guarantee sooner or later that, any forum will be driven to the ground...

GokuSSJ4
01-06-2004, 08:56 PM
I agree I dont use evom anymore beuase you cant ask a question with out a thousand people getting on your ass for no reason. I dont want to see socalevo turn into that mess. As for Howievo8 and goku they are just trying to catch my post count hahahahahahhaha EDIT I just realized my post count was reset nm the above comment.

Ok first off all , I was joking with you on the post counts . An the next thing my stuff gets 0 out without a warning or any message . That wasnt cool !! I understand with PW , i have been on other boards were thats also an issue . I can say its fun but it has its limits , since it wasnt a big deal or any rules on that . I didn't see it as a big deal, which obviously it has become . But just because you are a mod , it doesnt mean that is cool for you to ignore people or to do what you please with some one elses account without hearing ( or reading ) the other person . Also since we are on this topic it doesnt help went you are doing this to one person and you are leaving others out .
I know that have a huge post count for the short amount of time that i have been here and im not sure if people get mad at that . I do have spare times in the mornings (sometimes ) to be on the net . An I spend a lot of time one SocalEvo.net Is a great place and I love it !!! I prefer it way better then Evom . For the most part i think to what am i going to post and dont post none sence , I have been on the performance seen for a long time and know some of the basics , but im still learning like we all are.Went some one has a review on a product (sometimes it happens to be on what im looking for ) I attend to ask a bunch of questions . You have suggested PM , but for the most parts some peeps dont answer or check their inbox . While being posted they notice or some one else with the experience answers about it . I dont mine following rules and guidelines but they should be posted a head of time and should be applied to every one . Also since im new or have been here for a month or so , some of you refer that we replied to old threads . it may be old to you but i havent look at it . An sometimes theres not a final decission to what happen. To the ones i replied is cause i have interest to it . Not to just pw for what you have said .
I have been on boards for longer then 2 1/2 years and this has never happen were some one resets with out any warnings . You should give peeps a warning of things to come . I know i had a warning from DRmosh went i creative the thread asking what was happening with my post count , because i was upset (not so much at the fact of all the post count delete but at the fact that nothing was told to me , and some one took it among their self to do it without asking or giving a warning)
So i was told it was a game to what had happen to me , (not mentioning any names ) so i took it to get my post count back by PW . I usually or for the most part dont . I was able to talk to the Admid and got things straight out . I will cut down the amount of post that i do or excessive post. Before trying to double post i will use the edit button . An if i think is not that important i will ask questions by PM the member .
I like Socal Evo a lot and the peeps that make Socalevo , im not going to let something like this take the joy of meeting new peeps that have the same interest that you have. Im old enought not to be playing games of any kind . An i do respect all mods (since you have been assign to look over the forum ) for a reason .

*sorry for the grammar errors * :D

gt40
01-06-2004, 09:06 PM
I think you are encouraging people to push it to the limit with 3 warnings...

How about 1 warning in a month period?

Mods need to be banned too if they squash legit fun or expression or are unreasonable in the warnings.

I think a safety valve to this can be a poll on whether to reverse a warning as an option. If everyone votes the warning was unreasonable the mod gets the warning!

Bevo's got a point though. I am here instead of evolutionm because it is less hostile and the people on this site are cool enough to know, drive with and hang...

Let's make sure we keep this place fun

leaveit2bevo
01-06-2004, 09:45 PM
You guys sound like fucking forum nazis, let us have fun were not hurting anyone. If I wanted a place thats totally serious I would be posting on evom. So stop trying to make this uncool gay place where no fun is allowed and everything has to be totally serious.

GokuSSJ4
01-06-2004, 10:14 PM
here is an idea on the warnings , on other forums peeps have a percentage being base on 100% . if the person PW or does something that deserves a warning , points are deducted . Instead of going xtreme and because you did this one time you get this period ... that way the person realize it thats points are being deducted and he gets a PM for the reason . If the person has an amount of % deducted then they dont have the option to have an avatar , if it continues like PW or somethig related to posting on wanted topics or things that dont call for . Then they are limited to how many times they can post per day (for example being 10 post a limit a day ) .
This system was use on a forum that had at least the minimum or over 60,000 users . Thats a lot and also you had some one that also use to mod the mods . some one that is neutral and also puts them in place (in case they want to get out of hand by picking on a member )

howiEVO8
01-06-2004, 10:26 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mods need to be banned too if they squash legit fun or expression or are unreasonable in the warnings. "

this ain't gonna happen before it snows in hawaii...o.O

but TOTALLY agree

gt40
01-06-2004, 10:32 PM
howievo8,

Not trying to haze but you have been through this before i bet?

leaveit2bevo
01-06-2004, 10:37 PM
actually it snowed when I was in hawaii

GokuSSJ4
01-07-2004, 12:28 AM
An they say that howi and me are the PT :P , wen they said to keep it on the subject , we have others going OT ..
A percentage would give you an idea or where you are at . Is like a warning but you are able to see it and remeber while you post and will not forget about . Later on you can ask the same mod (if they have the guts to tell you why they lower it and who it was ) not just a random thing or what mod did it .
You can ask to be review and if so you can ask for your percentage to be restore . Its just an idea im sure other peeps can be more creative ....

perversity
01-07-2004, 12:53 AM
You guys sound like fucking forum nazis, let us have fun were not hurting anyone. If I wanted a place thats totally serious I would be posting on evom. So stop trying to make this uncool gay place where no fun is allowed and everything has to be totally serious.

I think you're missing the point here Bevo. I started this thread to get an opinion about this topic from you guys, the members. I don't think I am being a forum nazi. I am just trying to make sure that we find a balance between fun and usability. After all, this forum isn't just for one or two people to have a laugh at each other (and I am as guilty for hazing on here as everyone else is). This forum is also a reference point for a lot of people who chose not to post. We need to make sure that it's enjoyable for them as well.

On a serious note, if anyone is really upset or concerned about this stuff then feel free to PM me, I'll give you my number and we can talk about it.

"Mods need to be banned too if they squash legit fun or expression or are unreasonable in the warnings. " .

I wouldn't go as far as banning mods, after all, there are only 5 of us, and we all do a great deal of work to keep this club running. However, we do get together and talk about this stuff more often than you would think. This subject has come up, and we did talk about this incident this evening. We should write some guidelines for the moderators, and I will take that task upon myself to complete and then submit it to the moderators for their approval. Once the guidelines have been approved by the moderators I will post them for you.

drmosh
01-07-2004, 01:08 AM
well...see that's how i was feeling with socalevo.net when i got that "lame" warning...bah...i felt like this was a dictatorship forum or something...

Do you think it was lame? Maybe I should've said "learn to read you idiot... you posted in the wrong forum"... would that be better?

I gave you a warning because you clearly did not follow guidelines. I never said anything about banning you so stop overreacting and whining like a lil girl.

GokuSSJ4
01-07-2004, 01:18 AM
as long as you guys are willing to discuss this with a member and come to a decision . Since is not like we are global , we are local folks that im sure will see each other on the next meeting . An to all , fun and knowledge is what this forum is for . To what extend of fun , you guys would have to put rules on that . Im glad pervesity that you are willing to talk to a member and that you are taking an interest in a subject like this .......

howiEVO8
01-07-2004, 01:21 AM
i'm sure mitsubishi corporate and scc, motortread, etc is gonna love to see this screenshot

Chris in SD
01-07-2004, 03:17 AM
I've been a member of this site from day one and I'll tell you, lately there has been some serious whining. I don't know if it's EvoM residue or what, but one thing I've always loved (and I told Rich about a LONG time ago) is that SoCalEvo doesn't have the nonsense I get tired of in EvoM. Now a few members (not calling anyone out - you know who you are) are no longer interested in content, but just want to be "seen". I don't know how many posts I have, nor do I care. I am glad the mods have started to nip this in the bud. For those of you posting nonsense all the time, knock it off. It clutters otherwise useful threads. I mean, even the Dynoflash thread degenerated into an EvoM-type mud-slinging affair. There is no need for that here. Guys, please keep SoCalEvo.net my refuge when I need to get away from petty nonsense. Thanks to Rob and the mods for keeping the site a pleasure to visit (even when I'm on the wrong coast now). :)

Chris

Howie
01-07-2004, 10:05 AM
although i've only recently registered, i have been lurking this forum for a long time. I think evoM is extremely strict, and way too serious. The only time that you can joke around is when you are in their offtopic forum, and its mostly lancer owners in there.... there aren't that many evo owners in OT.

this forum is much more fun, and people don't have as much attitude. i think there are a lot of 'know-it-alls' on evom. evoM however, does have tons of good content, and most of the stuff i learn about evo's has been from that site.

i like socalevo cause:
1. i'm from so cal
2. people here are cool
3. i can somewhat contribute valuable info here... since everyone on evoM already knows everything.

perversity
01-07-2004, 10:32 AM
i'm sure mitsubishi corporate and scc, motortread, etc is gonna love to see this screenshot

I am sure that anyone reading this thread is going to realize that this is a well moderated, democratic forum that is striving for good content whilst trying to maintain a light-hearted demeanor.

The whole point here is that rather than dictating to you guys (the members) how it's going to be, I am asking you guys (the members) to give your suggestions about how the forum should be moderated.

That's a hell of a lot more input than a lot of other forums are allowing you to have. Therefore, please voice your constructive suggestions.

Thanks!

leaveit2bevo
01-07-2004, 12:01 PM
The way you guys have been moding so far is perfect so dont fix it if it isnt BROKE!!!!!!

ErroR
01-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Be even more strict on people having ridiculous discussions with themselves that have absolutely nothing to do with the topic of the post. We do have off topic forums for a reason.

To all those Post Whores please don't ruin someone else's thread by posting ridiculous off topic questions and one word replies.