PDA

View Full Version : Dealer Tech explains warranty (LONG)

Dr. Evo
01-11-2004, 09:40 AM
Just to clear thing up a bit...
I am reading alot of posts on here bashing the dealer about voiding warranty. You are going to the wrong dealer! Anyway, if you are worried about a mod or even a fluid change voiding your warranty, bring it to me. Your warranty can't be voided if the dealer does the work, right :idea: ? On that note, what are some local shops charging for work (IE clutch jobs, fluid changes, mods etc.)? I am -THIS- close to convincing my gen. manager that performance installs are a good idea. It would definately be a good idea for you, because we would tell you right up front how and if any change would effect any part of your warranty. Here's the way i see it.. A mod has to be the cause (either direct or indirect) of the failure in order to void a warrnty. In other words, lowering your car would void your alignment warranty (duh!) or putting cam gears on would void the warranty on the timing belt. But if you had it tuned and timed correctly with those gears and spun a rod bearing, it shouldn't effect your engine warranty. Also, doing maintenence at an independent shop won't void the warranty either (as long as it is done RIGHT). You may be amazed how many 1-or-2-tooth-off timing belts I see coming from indies. Keep in mind these are general comments and there are a lot of variables to consider. Every dealer is going to hold different views. But I am an Evo owner/modder/racer myself, and I hate hypocrites (sp?). So come see me in San Luis Obispo, or one of the other "friendly" dealer guys on this list for your work. Nothing against the shadetree guys, but I feel that the dealer techs have the most Mitsu KNOWLEDGE, not just what they learned reading the posts and looking at pictures of installs. There is a reason I have been to over 30 Mitsu classes in the last 3 years. Just thought I would try and enlighten the group a little. If I offended anyone (you never know) I did not mean to do so.
Thanks for your time.
__________________________________________________ ________
Jeremy Sosa
Mistubishi Master Technician by title / Valley Mitsubishi San Luis Obispo
Evo and DSM performance enthusiast and racer by heart

EVO Neil
01-11-2004, 11:26 AM
Well put... :D

mprtklr
01-11-2004, 02:34 PM
i would agree, but wouldnt you say that since this is the first year the EVO is here, even the techs are still "learning" and some of the aftermarket people would know more than the dealer techs??

EVO Neil
01-11-2004, 02:45 PM
i would agree, but wouldnt you say that since this is the first year the EVO is here, even the techs are still "learning" and some of the aftermarket people would know more than the dealer techs??

How would this make sense since the aftermarket would have even less exposure than the technicians who get to go to school every time a new model is introduced. Sorry, but I don't understand your philosphy. If you work at a dealer as a technician you get the training from day one. In the aftermarket you have to learn as you go. Over time this will change but only in the area of the aftermarket being better at doing aftermarket, it's a little more specialized.

robi
01-11-2004, 02:57 PM
So, Can you guys figure out why my EVO throws a SES light code P0300? did it stock does it modded I can make my car do this on command... float the throttle between 70&95 slight downhill after a hard accel and SES land alover again Have my own reader/clearer so I clear the code and wait for the next time (oh and the car diesels till I lift all the way off the throttle)

mprtklr
01-11-2004, 03:06 PM
im not philosphizing on anything, just asking a question. my contention is that someone like buschur has an EVO all the time to just basically destroy and rebuild over and over again. wereas a dealer has book learning,..but how many have actually tore an EVO apart yet? see what i mean?

robi
01-11-2004, 04:41 PM
I think we owners are doing a good job on tearing our EVOs apart :-). I'll bet any decent dealer is seeing plenty of work.....

GokuSSJ4
01-11-2004, 05:18 PM
so that means you guys can install an aftermarket clutch with no warranties issues ?? how much for a clutch install ????????

mprtklr
01-11-2004, 06:33 PM
I think we owners are doing a good job on tearing our EVOs apart :-). I'll bet any decent dealer is seeing plenty of work.....

good point...."ya, i saw my boost gauge go to 2.0BAR and my engine went pop....why???"

robi
01-11-2004, 10:57 PM
Het my cummins diesel boosts 36 psi (for the last 260K) why won't my EVO? (Cummins motor weight = 965 lbs.) ;-).

ErroR
01-12-2004, 07:38 AM

How would this make sense since the aftermarket would have even less exposure than the technicians who get to go to school every time a new model is introduced. Sorry, but I don't understand your philosphy. If you work at a dealer as a technician you get the training from day one. In the aftermarket you have to learn as you go. Over time this will change but only in the area of the aftermarket being better at doing aftermarket, it's a little more specialized.

There are someexceptions to this rule such as RMR who has been working with and racing Evo's for quite some time.

EVO Neil
01-12-2004, 08:52 AM
There are someexceptions to this rule such as RMR who has been working with and racing Evo's for quite some time.[/quote]

A valid point.

ItsStockOfficer
01-12-2004, 10:51 AM

I disagree.

A, This 4G63 is very similair to the previous iterations of the 4G63...it has the same stupid timing belt system for instance, just backwards. Nothing to it.

B. You think techs are all good mechanics? Yeah...Fucking...Right. They are JUST like any other mechanics, good or bad on a person to person basis.

EVO Neil
01-12-2004, 11:05 AM
I disagree with you, see below...

A, This 4G63 is very similair to the previous iterations of the 4G63...it has the same stupid timing belt system for instance, just backwards. Nothing to it.

Yes, the engine is similar, but the rest of the car is all new to the states. Sorry, I'm sticking by what I originally said, Mitsubishi technicians get trained before the car is even on sale here, so they are trained first, even before the aftermarket has seen an Evo. And as I previoulsy stated that changes with the longer the car is out on the market.
B. You think techs are all good mechanics? Yeah...Fucking...Right. They are JUST like any other mechanics, good or bad on a person to person basis.

I never said all technicians were good technicians, just trained first, as with the aftermarket, their are going to be good ones and unfortunately bad ones. I've worked with both.

Dr. Evo
01-12-2004, 12:41 PM
so that means you guys can install an aftermarket clutch with no warranties issues ?? how much for a clutch install ????????

....We can install an aftermarket clutch... it will not void your engine warranty, but (of course) any warranty on clutch related parts would be null and void.

ItsStockOfficer
01-12-2004, 12:41 PM
A. Some shops, suchs as RRE, have been playing with EVO's for years, and the US evo is similair to the previous Evo Gen's.

On the 4G63 I have really only seen bad things done my Mitsu techs UNLESS they are already enthusiasts. Your typical tech will be very likely to screw something up, imho...I would like to see what this training entails.

Nothing about the evo is particularly new or innovative.

Dr. Evo
01-12-2004, 04:46 PM
"On the 4G63 I have really only seen bad things done my Mitsu techs UNLESS they are already enthusiasts. Your typical tech will be very likely to screw something up, imho...I would like to see what this training entails."

Don't make stupid generalizations with the sole intent of trying to convince people to bring their cars to you instead of somewhere else. It amazes me how you can continually bash dealer techs with no rhyme or reason. Get off it already. ANY tech ANYWHERE can screw up ANYTHING at any given time. That includes YOU. It's human nature. SHIT HAPPENS. We are doing our jobs just like you do yours. The only difference is besides being a performance enthusiast I also get hours and hours of Mitsubishi factory training, factory tech assistance and access to information WAY before the indies do. Independent shops are great... I worked at one for years and have nothing against them. Performance shops (the few real ones that remain-not ricer shops) are great for tunig also. I also work for a DSM tuner. All I am saying is don't hate. There is no need. The import performance lifestyle is hated on enough.
Stop the rice on rice violence :P

Coolguy949
01-12-2004, 05:16 PM
This is another thread slowly approaching lockdown mode. Lets try to place nice everyone.

EVO Neil
01-12-2004, 09:10 PM
A. Some shops, suchs as RRE, have been playing with EVO's for years, and the US evo is similair to the previous Evo Gen's.

On the 4G63 I have really only seen bad things done my Mitsu techs UNLESS they are already enthusiasts. Your typical tech will be very likely to screw something up, imho...I would like to see what this training entails.

Nothing about the evo is particularly new or innovative.

While I do agree with Rob that this thread is getting out of hand, I will try to explain without being rude.

I agreed with the statement that shops such as RRE have previous Evo experience, but you are talking about a hand full or less of those with previous Evo experience.

Secondly, technicians at all dealers go through hours and hours of class room and hands-on training at regional training centers. I've worked in a previous life as a service advisor (yup, it's a crap job) but having worked in that area I can comment with first hand knowledge that dealership technicians spend time in class every time a new model comes out or just to keep current with training. What are you basing your assumptions on? Even as a service advisor I had to attend training classes. The better trained you are the more of an asset you are to the dealer and your customers.

Are their bad dealership technicians out there? Yes, but there are also bad aftermarket technicans. It sucks, but it's part of life.

Lastly you commented about the Evo not being innovative or new. Dude, seriously what parts on that car have anything to do with any other Mitsubishi sold here in the U.S.? Hardly any, the drivetrain aft of the engine is new to the U.S. market. The transmission, new. Suspension, new. Need I go on? Many of the components on that car have nothing to do with previous Mitusbishis sold here in the states, or even the current Lancer, that's why the technicians go to class, to learn about all of the new parts, the components they have no experience with. Would you want somone tearing into your electrical system that had no .experience? I wouldn't.

Okay, I'll step down from my soapbox now, I only hope I've clarified my point. Cheers.

ItsStockOfficer
01-12-2004, 11:14 PM
"On the 4G63 I have really only seen bad things done my Mitsu techs UNLESS they are already enthusiasts. Your typical tech will be very likely to screw something up, imho...I would like to see what this training entails."

Don't make stupid generalizations with the sole intent of trying to convince people to bring their cars to you instead of somewhere else. It amazes me how you can continually bash dealer techs with no rhyme or reason. Get off it already. ANY tech ANYWHERE can screw up ANYTHING at any given time. That includes YOU. It's human nature. SHIT HAPPENS. We are doing our jobs just like you do yours. The only difference is besides being a performance enthusiast I also get hours and hours of Mitsubishi factory training, factory tech assistance and access to information WAY before the indies do. Independent shops are great... I worked at one for years and have nothing against them. Performance shops (the few real ones that remain-not ricer shops) are great for tunig also. I also work for a DSM tuner. All I am saying is don't hate. There is no need. The import performance lifestyle is hated on enough.
Stop the rice on rice violence :P

I have no intention of trying to get these guys to brign their cars to me. I will work on them, and do a good job, if someone ask's me but I never advertise or try to get them to come to me. I am a decent hobbyist mechanic, in that I have owned several GSX's well into the 400 hp territory, but I'm not anything special compared to you.

The only reason I post negative things about dealer techs is because I have personally had negative experiances, and because I have heard and seen so many negative experiances. I prefer to recomend specific people/shops and techs rather then recomend Mitsu in general.

My rule is EVERY mechanic sucks until proven competent. TRUST me when I say this applys to shops, tuners, and everyone else.

leaveit2bevo
01-12-2004, 11:44 PM
levels of thinking:

1.personal observation/authority
2.opionon
3.evidence

Think on level 3!!! not 1 or 2

Dr. Evo
01-13-2004, 12:45 PM
Thanks Neil for backing up my case. I do however agree with what was said about proving one's self. Lets just leave it at there. No more need to hash this out. I am a good tech and I know it. I would love the opportunity to prove it. :D

Coolguy949
01-14-2004, 02:42 PM
The Techs working on the Evo at the dealer must be Evo trained. If they arent evo trained, Mitsubishi will not pay the dealer for the warranty work they did on the Evo. If the tech didnt attend the evo technical course, they cant even touch the engine bay of an Evo.

HB Mitsu has the most certified Evo techs, plus, they've been doing work for RMR for years so they have more experience than most dealer. Eric (the best evo tech at HB) just recently got an award for not having one car come back within a year to be re-inspected (when a customer takes a car back because the problem wasn't fixed or the problem came back).

fourg63_gst
01-15-2004, 10:12 PM
What is the address. I'm very intrested