PDA

View Full Version : Need help installing the HKS grounding kit.

IS2000
01-14-2004, 03:21 AM
Can anyone who have installed their grounding kits help me out with my HKS kit?
Thanks.

rizalhoo
01-14-2004, 04:31 AM
erm...I was about to ask for the same help...I just got my gound kit too today and have no idea how to install that :(

Can anyone also help IS2000 and me pleaseee...? :)

Thanks

ItsStockOfficer
01-14-2004, 09:44 AM
Just bolt the wires to wherever it look's prettiest. They don't do anything for performance.

GokuSSJ4
01-14-2004, 11:00 AM
since Bushur include them on there packages i thought there were gains to be found .... :?

leaveit2bevo
01-14-2004, 11:50 AM
I have the hks ground kit no hp gains but it does smooth out the idle headlights are a little brighter and stero is louder. as for the install it looked pretty stright forward but I had someone else do it. I think the instruction tell you were to mount.

ReHeat
01-14-2004, 12:00 PM
This thread has some suggestions on which grounding points you can use
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30385

Coolguy949
01-14-2004, 12:27 PM
I can help. I've installed a couple already.

rizalhoo
01-14-2004, 01:13 PM
This thread has some suggestions on which grounding points you can use
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30385

Thanks for the link :) I'll try em out

I can help. I've installed a couple already.

Rob, if I fail to do my own installation on the link where ReHeat gave, can u like help me install the ground kit at our meet on the 24th if its possible coz I have no experience at all in doing all these :)

btw do you have to disconnect the battery before doing the installation? on the link that reheat gave, they did connect it to the tranny which I think its easier to have the battery remove to get to the tranny bolt which I even have no idea how to remove the battey, at least I havent try though :oops:

Thanks a lot guys

ReHeat
01-14-2004, 03:31 PM
I think it's better to disconnect the battery before you do the install. If you decide to use the tranny as one of the ground point, you need get a 10mm bolt to hold it there, you would also need to remove the battery. It's fairly easy to remove, just make sure you don't drop any of the nuts and bolts.

rizalhoo
01-14-2004, 04:00 PM
reheat: but if I dont have to use the tranny right? i mean I can do any other point....sorry for asking so many questions

kaisho99
01-14-2004, 04:15 PM
reheat: but if I dont have to use the tranny right? i mean I can do any other point....sorry for asking so many questions

You're going to want one on that tranny hole that's open I would think?The kit I used made a point of having you attach a new bolt there so must be a good/important spot for electrical conductivity. And it's easy to access after you remove the stock intake.

ReHeat
01-14-2004, 04:19 PM

You don't have to use the tranny as one of the ground point, Mitsu's factory ground kit doesn't use it, but lots of people used it so I used it too.

rizalhoo
01-14-2004, 04:24 PM
one more thing, will i like screw things up like blow up the engine or whatsoever if I put the gound kit at the wrong place?

I wouldnt wanna blow up a $30k just for some $40 mods :) thanks a lot for answering :)

ReHeat
01-14-2004, 04:31 PM
You won't blow up the engine, if you short something you would probably blow a fuse, that's why it's better to disconnect the battery before you connect the kit.

rizalhoo
01-14-2004, 05:43 PM
I can't install all of the 6 wires :( since there are some hard to reach to part like the header and so all, cant get the bolt off.

Anyhow i noticed something cool though..I did disconnect the battery before attempting to install the ground kit, anyhow after failing to install it, I reconnect again the battery and waited for a few mins then I test drive my car, to make sure I didnt forget something that i might screw the car up (yeah im a newbie in all these) anyhow I notice that my stalling problem is gone!!! or at least its better (i didnt notice the car stalls anymore though like the usual)

funny eh? i dont know what happened, i drove my car up to gear 3 at 6k rpm and then stop (usually the car will stall) but it didn't. it stayed at 1k rpm.

I dont know what happen, my friend once told me that every time you install a new mods on your car, you gotta like restart the car by disconnectting the battery and then connect it again to let the ECU learns the new mods; i dont know whether this is true or not but if this true then maybe the stalling problem gone or gets better because of this?

Anyhow I am not saying that this is the way to cure the stalling problem or whatsoever, im just sharing my experience and my thoughts :)

peace!

ItsStockOfficer
01-14-2004, 07:59 PM
Yeah, Ralliart sells ground wires too...Vendors LOVE things like ground wires because you can't fuck anything up and they have a rediculous profit margin...but if 2 dollars in larger ground wires did anything, you would get them from the factory.

The coils do not go back to groud so grounding the head doesn't do anything. Every sensor on the car associated with idle or driving has its own indiviual ground not related to chassis grounds

mprtklr
01-14-2004, 09:17 PM
rediculous profit margin? 150 dollars in tubing and you sell it as a $1000 "custom" turbo back exhaust??? thats rediculous profit margin.

so if it doesnt ground to chassis were does it ground? ultimately all things ground to the chassis to create a loop, so explain how it doesnt ground to the chassis, and furthermore, how does electricity fire a cylinder if it doesnt ground at all? and if your answer is it grounds though the plug hole, great, but that is in the head, which will benefit from a larger ground. stereos benefit from larger gauge wire, so do engine grounds.

ItsStockOfficer
01-15-2004, 02:09 PM
rediculous profit margin? 150 dollars in tubing and you sell it as a $1000 "custom" turbo back exhaust??? thats rediculous profit margin.

so if it doesnt ground to chassis were does it ground? ultimately all things ground to the chassis to create a loop, so explain how it doesnt ground to the chassis, and furthermore, how does electricity fire a cylinder if it doesnt ground at all? and if your answer is it grounds though the plug hole, great, but that is in the head, which will benefit from a larger ground. stereos benefit from larger gauge wire, so do engine grounds.

First, your typical exhaust has labor involved in its construction, thwe typical ground kit labor is all of 15 minutes of packaging....

As for explaining ignition, Read this thread and listen to Bradrs

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58076&perpage=15&pagenumber=4

IS2000
03-29-2004, 01:45 AM
Bump, is there anyone willing to help me installed the kit? Otherwise I'd go to a local Subaru tuner (hope they'll know how to do it).

han74j
03-29-2004, 01:54 AM
eah.... i really dont think the grounding kits work for evos.... may be its just me but everyone else lots it... soo prettttyyyyyyy

ReHeat
03-29-2004, 02:11 PM
Mark, bring it to the next meet, we'll help you with the install.

sidewaysevo
03-29-2004, 02:49 PM
i wonder y instockofficer hates grounding kits so much. He is always talking ish on them. I have the hks one, and i like it. Looks nice too.

ItsStockOfficer
03-31-2004, 02:58 AM
i wonder y instockofficer hates grounding kits so much. He is always talking ish on them. I have the hks one, and i like it. Looks nice too.

I don't "hate" them, I just prefer to make sure people understand that they are a looks ONLY mod.

sidewaysevo
03-31-2004, 11:03 AM
its less then a 100 dollar mod. Who cares if it works or not.

ItsStockOfficer
04-02-2004, 10:53 AM
its less then a 100 dollar mod. Who cares if it works or not.

I will sell you performance muffler bearings for 80. You can just pay pal the money over

sidewaysevo
04-02-2004, 12:23 PM
haha ok ok i get the point.

GokuSSJ4
04-02-2004, 01:54 PM
you can also have Robi help you out installing it ....
he is running one on his car