PDA

View Full Version : Car seems slower, Check light, and stuttering/boggin issues.

EvoInSoCal
01-26-2004, 03:42 AM
I've noticed that my evo has been slower lately for some odd reason. I put a typhoon KN intake on it, it took to it pretty well it seemed. I figured that after a little while, i just started getting used to the power, and the car (owned since last june). I had my 15k mile service done about 300 miles ago at the dealer, no issues everything fine. Car seemed to drive well, but I started noticing that it was really pulling timing bad in higher boost situations. Car is stock except for intake. BUt i know CA 91 crap gas isn't the best. Anyhow, tonight I was driving, got on it on an on-ramp for the freeway, and in second gear, a few hundred RPMs after i shifted, the car just bogged, like it was stuttering and then it took off again. RPMs didn't shoot up like if the car had a slipping clutch etc... It was like a bad hicup. It was odd, but the car drove fine after that on my way to the gym. On my way home, drove fine until i was almost home, almost at my off-ramp, and the car did it again, while cruising in 5th gear (cruising at 90mph, lol). This time the check light came on. THe car also has been having bogging problems where in parking lot situations, or stop light/bumper to bumper driving, when the clutch get's pushed in, the rpms drop to 200 rpm or so, as if the car is going to stall, bounce up, then flatten out at normal rpm again. needlss to say, i'm taking the car in tomorrow first thing to the same dealrship i had it serviced at. It really seems odd that all of this happens only know after it was serviced, and so soon after service.

A quick question: what would happen if the car was running with non-synthetic oil? I mean, i know what will happen to the motor and internals, but what are the symptoms? I really like the dealership i went to, but for some reason, i just didn't trust one guy working there (didn't seem as competant as he should have been for a manager), and i don't think that he made a note the last two times i went in about using mobil one synthetic, even though it says it right on the cap lol.

Just curious.

thanks
[email protected]

DocMortal
01-26-2004, 03:53 AM
Too bad you dont have a code reader so we can find out which code it is...

Chances are its the PO300 code multiple engine misfire which is common on our cars,anyways I would check the spark plugs first thing...

Even though they shouldnt of replaced them yet,they could get fouled up by bad gas which happened to me at 14000 miles so i replaced the spark plugs with denso iridium and no more problems...

Spark Plugs are the source of many problems,once there dirty or fouled they just dont work the same,I would replace them at 10-15 K but thats just me.

OIL wouldnt have anything to do with your issues,go to autozone and get the code pulled,dont know how your dealer is but they might say the intake is the problem...

I do my own oil etc because its hard to trust the dealers to do anything right,learn to do it yourself and youll have peace of mind :)

robi
01-26-2004, 04:40 AM
First = fuel cut aftermarket intakes add airflow and the stock injectors run out of duty cycle (the can't get enough fuel flow to compensate for the extra airflow) and so the ecu after pulling timing and adding fuel till it can't any more cuts the fuel to stop the detonation which could damage the motor. Second is the P0300 code and your car prob. sounded like it was dieseling you let off the gas and put your foot in it and it was prob fine (but with a SES light).

GokuSSJ4
01-26-2004, 09:52 AM
if you take it to the dealer , i would advice you to remove the air intake. Just to avoid headaches . But a bad spark plug (or even dirty ones ) will do that to your car and it will bogg . Im taking your advice and getting new plugs(denso iridium)went i hit 14k , hey maybe even sooner to avoid headaches . By the way how do you get rid off a SES light ? Is it just by unplugging the battery and waiting for the ecu to reset ??
By the way how much did you paid for your plugs ?? and where did you get them at ??

Coolguy949
01-26-2004, 09:59 AM
Make sure you plugged in all the vac lines into the K&N intake. If you left one out you'll have a vac leak. Sounds like you're hitting fuel cut or you have the P0300 Multple Cylinder Misfire code. Take it to HB Mitsu and they can take care of you.

Rob

GokuSSJ4
01-26-2004, 10:03 AM
Rob !! you think HB will service any car regarless how modify it is ??
With out questioning the customer , just service warranty work with be something else

Coolguy949
01-26-2004, 10:07 AM
Josh will take care of you. He's very mod friendly as long as the mod didnt break the car.

rizalhoo
01-26-2004, 10:10 AM
Rob !! you think HB will service any car regarless how modify it is ??
With out questioning the customer , just service warranty work with be something else

yeah id like to know bout this too...even with a boost controller? since im pretty sure boost controller void the waranty (LOL what a statement... :lol: )

Coolguy949
01-26-2004, 10:15 AM
You need to ask josh about your specific mods. Basically what it boils down to is if the mod break the car. You cant have the warranty voided because you had a mod in there, they can just tell you they wont service the part because you broke it. So, you end up paying out of pocket to fix it instead.

GokuSSJ4
01-26-2004, 10:18 AM
just the car service , like oil change and going with the service manual recommends . can you post his # again so i can call him . Also do you happen to know what part # the oil filter is ?? an do you need a washer for the oil plug ?? each time you change it ...

Coolguy949
01-26-2004, 10:19 AM
Josh doesnt work on mondays, the number at HB Mitsu is 714-375-9493. Right now Doug is the only one working.

The oil filter should include the crush washer when you buy it. Make sure they give it to you. It's a seperate part - not in the box for the filter.

rizalhoo
01-26-2004, 10:27 AM
anyhow talking about fuel cut...how does the fuel cut looks or feels like? so incase im encountering one I can immediately identify that it is fuel cut

GokuSSJ4
01-26-2004, 10:27 AM
do you have the part # , just in case they give me something completely different :P

Coolguy949
01-26-2004, 10:35 AM
Thomas, I dont know the part number off hand. I can get it tonight at home.

rizalhoo, you'll be flooring it in 3rd, 4th, or 5th gear ar around 4 - 5K rpm and it will hiccup and kick back on you. It feels like you broke something but you didnt. You shouldnt he hitting FC on the stock boost control system unless you have a boost controller or are running pretty lean because of something else.

DocMortal
01-26-2004, 01:04 PM
www.sparkplugs.com part number is IW22 made by DENSO they are stock heat range and are great .4mm electrode iridium..

rizalhoo
01-26-2004, 03:48 PM
ok here's a thread I posted yesterday on evom:

hello,

i need some help, im new into this turbo thingy, anyhow just got a greddy profec b 2 boost controller installed on my car.

ok so here is the setting of the profec b : these are all in psi mode

set 70%
gain 5%
set gain 190
warning 210
warning L. 1%

ok so yeah im in cali with the crappy 91 octane and i wanna set it to 19psi and hold it there but couldnt reach to 19psi

anyhow something wrong though today when i was tuning my car on the freeway...it was like 11pm and yeah i rev it all the way to 6-7rpm the boost its like 15-16psi on gear 3 then shifted to gear 4 it was like 9psi and couldnt go anymore higher...same thing happen if I do to gear 2 to gear 3 then its like stuck in there could get anymore higher psi...

is that what its call a fuel cut? i mean yesterday when I just installed the profec and had the shop "pre-tune" my car and i was like hitting up to 25-26psi then falls to like 16-17psi and it was kinda scary for me and thats why I tried to tune it myself

so can anyone help me out and let me know whats wrong with my car or what should i do?

thanks for all the help

rob is this a fuel cut? or whats happening to my car?

one guy said I blew my engine then seconds later it restart by itself...

yeah i have a profec b set at 19psi but since that incident yesterday I set it at 18psi :(

rizalhoo
01-26-2004, 03:49 PM
oh yeah sorry i dont meant to overtake the thread or change the topic...just wanna know whats wrong with my car and also whats a fuel cut feels like....thanks

Coolguy949
01-26-2004, 04:02 PM
That isnt fuel cut. Either some setting is getting triggered or i dont know. Looks like your wastegate is opening itself up as if you have the boost controller off. Check all your boost lines to make sure none of them is in danger of getting pinched or something.

drmosh
01-26-2004, 04:28 PM
I can pull the code for you for $15 (just to pay to try to recover the cost of my OBD setup)...

PM me if yer interested...

rizalhoo
01-26-2004, 04:40 PM
pull the code? sorry but what code? and whats that for? sorry for the dumb question

anyhow rob, i got my ebc installed by brainstorm..i dont know how to install the ebc so i wont know which are the boost line or whatsoever :(

drmosh
01-26-2004, 06:49 PM
pull the code? sorry but what code? and whats that for? sorry for the dumb question

anyhow rob, i got my ebc installed by brainstorm..i dont know how to install the ebc so i wont know which are the boost line or whatsoever :(

I'm talking to the original poster, or anyone who has a Service Engine Soon (CEL) light.

GokuSSJ4
01-26-2004, 09:29 PM
www.sparkplugs.com part number is IW22 made by DENSO they are stock heat range and are great .4mm electrode iridium..
thanks for the link 8)

drmosh good to know that you are able to read the codes (just in case )
Thats the reason i want a custom tune, instead of running a boost controller . Just to be in the safe side and not over boost the motor .

DocMortal
01-27-2004, 12:12 AM
When your service engine soon light comes on that means your computer diagnostics on your car sensed something wrong and recorded it in your cars computer memory...

Usually its the PO300 Code=multiple engine misfire which is common,its a great system in which it will usually tell you a general area where to troubleshoot if theres a problem,its bad in a way because sometimes its too sensitive and will pull a service engine soon light when theres no problem.

Ill pull a code for free Im in Irvine+Orange County...Also your nearest AutoZone will do it for free.

Available 10:00 am- 11:30am before work :)

PM me if interested.

EvoInSoCal
01-27-2004, 03:10 AM
wow, thanks for all the info guys.
OK, dealer says the intake is ok, only cus it's K&N. THe code is i think the 039? I forgot which code exactly it is, but they told me it was a code for the wastegate off the turbo. They checked the stock hose going from the wastegate to the boost solenoid, and at first didn't notice anything. Nothing wrong witht he hose at first. THe solenoid by the way checked out ok too. They datalogged it, and drove it while plugged into some computer to help diagnose the issue today. Basically what they told me is that the stock wastegate hose has a defect, where it either collapses in on itself under boost pressure, or that a piece of it inside is actually broken off slightly, just enough to flap a little and close off the airway. In all honesty it all sounds pretty shotty to me, but hey, they want to do this first, as a first step, and are covering it all under warranty, so i'll let them take their time with it, so long as i don't have to worry about paying. They said the intake was installed properly, (which i did to a t from the directions anyway), and that the intake had nothing to do with the check code. Whew, good for me on that one i guess.

interesting side note:
anybody who gets an K&N intake, beware. THere is one picture in the directions that shows how to re-install the pipe and blow off valve on the car, but the pic shows the BOV installed reversed! Just a little tid bit of info. So i guess i didn't install the intake to a perfect T, lol.

GokuSSJ4
01-27-2004, 10:10 AM
good to know , glad that everything went well and the dealer is taking care of yoru warranty work ...

rizalhoo
01-27-2004, 12:02 PM
wow, thanks for all the info guys.
OK, dealer says the intake is ok, only cus it's K&N. THe code is i think the 039? I forgot which code exactly it is, but they told me it was a code for the wastegate off the turbo. They checked the stock hose going from the wastegate to the boost solenoid, and at first didn't notice anything. Nothing wrong witht he hose at first. THe solenoid by the way checked out ok too. They datalogged it, and drove it while plugged into some computer to help diagnose the issue today. Basically what they told me is that the stock wastegate hose has a defect, where it either collapses in on itself under boost pressure, or that a piece of it inside is actually broken off slightly, just enough to flap a little and close off the airway. In all honesty it all sounds pretty shotty to me, but hey, they want to do this first, as a first step, and are covering it all under warranty, so i'll let them take their time with it, so long as i don't have to worry about paying. They said the intake was installed properly, (which i did to a t from the directions anyway), and that the intake had nothing to do with the check code. Whew, good for me on that one i guess.

interesting side note:
anybody who gets an K&N intake, beware. THere is one picture in the directions that shows how to re-install the pipe and blow off valve on the car, but the pic shows the BOV installed reversed! Just a little tid bit of info. So i guess i didn't install the intake to a perfect T, lol.

yeah thats nice to know that the mitsu dealer is taken a good care of you. btw can u tell me which mitsu dealer u went to?

EvoInSoCal
01-28-2004, 04:03 AM
I've been dealing with San Bernardino Mitsubishi lately. I purchased the car from Norco mitsu, but their service guys are not the brightest. Their parts dept. is great though.

I will let you all know how everything turns out after i take the car in tomorrow.