PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know which is BEST SHORT THROW SHIFTER?

modankevo
02-01-2004, 08:11 PM
I want to get a short throw really bad before I go up to Thunderhill this weekend, but I don't know if the B&M or the Perrin one is better? Perrin is a little more expensive, and has a bend at the top that I am not sure about....but I heard the B&M can be troublesome to install. Any thoughts to what I should do or suggestions to where to install is around LA??? Thanks guys[/b]

racerferrari
02-01-2004, 09:30 PM
keep me posted on that also...i want to add a short shift kit also

ErroR
02-01-2004, 09:40 PM
I heard good things about the KartBoy setup.

leaveit2bevo
02-01-2004, 11:23 PM
Ya if you talk to any subie owner they rave about cart boy so try that first. I do know that you have to cut things to use the perrin but you dont with the b&m, you dont either if you buy some extra accesorie with the kartboy.

drmosh
02-01-2004, 11:46 PM
Kartboy is local in San Diego and they're real helpful, they even come to the meets sometimes.

kaisho99
02-02-2004, 08:02 AM
Kartboy all the way! I put it in a couple weekends ago and love it. Cake to install, just buy some white lithium grease at Lowes and you're all set.

Be glad to show/help you how to put it in at the track, only takes like 30-45mins.

Coolguy949
02-02-2004, 10:16 AM
I drove an Evo with the B&M on friday. It was awesome. The shifts are precise, but much shorter and the height of the shifter is better too. I'm set on getting the B&M at this point.

BTW, I do sell the B&M for $129.99

GokuSSJ4
02-02-2004, 10:22 AM
how much does the kart boy shifter go for ???

Takashi
02-02-2004, 10:43 AM
hey...i have a kartboy in my wrx and love it. craftsmanship is great, and customer support is awesome.
http://www.allwheelengineering.com/basket/catalog.cgi?query_net_id=kartboy&query_class=KB-e002
looks like a good piece for your evo's too... $135 though.
greg

EVO_RPM
02-02-2004, 01:30 PM
I drove an Evo with the B&M on friday. It was awesome. The shifts are precise, but much shorter and the height of the shifter is better too. I'm set on getting the B&M at this point.

BTW, I do sell the B&M for $129.99

Is the B&M a complete bolt on or is there any cutting involved? I know doesn't require any cutting as long as you buy something.

Coolguy949
02-02-2004, 01:55 PM
From what I saw during the install, not cutting at all. Simply remove the old one and replace with the new one.

BOVBILLY
02-02-2004, 02:42 PM
I just got the B&M one installed and love it. The only I would change, is the flat shift knob. Besides that, the shifter is accurate and tight.

Very Very Happy!

EVO_RPM
02-02-2004, 02:47 PM
I just got the B&M one installed and love it. The only I would change, is the flat shift knob. Besides that, the shifter is accurate and tight.

Very Very Happy!

Will the stock shift knob fit perfectly or do you have to use the B&M knob?

I was reading on another thread that it comes with polyurethane bushings, is that true?

Rob i might be getting this from you 8)

BOVBILLY
02-02-2004, 02:52 PM
I am unsure about the bushings. I didn't install it. it was a package deal. they installed my cams and cam gears and shifter!!!

Yes, the stock shifter will fit on there!

alfredob1
02-02-2004, 02:55 PM
I too have the K4rt30y shifter and I like it alot. Broke it in this weekend going up to Palomar Mountian Observatory. :shock:

In order to reuse #7 you'd have to cut the shift lever some somewhere below the weight (red) . Or just buy another #7 and leave the stock shift lever and retainer alone. I removed the weight by cutting out the spot weld with my trusty rotary tool. This way I still have my stock lever (minus the weight) and I didn't have to buy an extra lever retainer.
http://members.cox.net/downloadfile/sla2.JPG

BOVBILLY
02-02-2004, 03:12 PM
Nice Diagram!!!!!

MrBubbler
02-03-2004, 02:50 AM
i have the B&M ans my opion is it need to have more counter weight , i dunno if they are offering a new one i got the on for the evo 7 ... so any info would be awsome