PDA

View Full Version : Hows your Paint on your Evo Holding up?

JackMan017
02-02-2004, 09:25 PM
Evo owners:
I was just wondering how the paint (exterior) is holding up? I.E. scratches, swirls, etc... I did a search on Evoforums.com and it seems like there are a lot of mistsu owners who are less than content with their paint quality.

Anonymous
02-02-2004, 09:28 PM
i hate the quality, and sorry to hear mitsubishi sends our cars to the most stupidest body shops to paint the car, just save up money and go by high quality paint, do you know anything about candy paint quality?

leaveit2bevo
02-02-2004, 09:29 PM
mitsu+weighless white= crap with spots all over the car that wont come out.

CACalomino
02-02-2004, 09:30 PM
U dont realy need candy coat just a good quality paint (PPG,DUPONT) and have molitple coats painted with multiple clear this will give u a great wet look adn better protection against rock chips.

JackMan017
02-02-2004, 09:30 PM
wow,
is the paint quality worse than say a GM car? Lets use a Silverado, or S10 pickup as an example. I see a Red Evo on my way to work every day but i only get to see it from maybe 30 feet away. The paint didnt look thaaaat bad.

Anonymous
02-02-2004, 09:34 PM
lol..........no dont get me wrong, some cars find problems...bubbles etc....why do you car? see im sure that most of these evo entusiasts will invest in painting their cars with high quality paint, and prolly designs....lol i have this funny idea...maybe we should all get them special graphics that say SoCalEvo.net?

GokuSSJ4
02-02-2004, 09:37 PM
no problem with mine , but i wouldnt mine spending some money on a clear coat for protection..

STiTHIS
02-02-2004, 09:49 PM
Ah, not the best. My mirrors are a different color, kinda pink. Also the paint is thinner than a piece of mirco-flim.

Another crapy part is that my ENTIRE car is sand blasted, windows paint, etc cause I was shipping from Texas to Cali, straigth through the F**cking desert.

freds4
02-02-2004, 10:25 PM
Yeah it's not the best quality. My last car was an Acura RSX and the paint quality was much better but you know what? I don't even care. This car is so head and shoulders above anything else in the performance department, it more than makes up for the mediocre paint. I have 2000 miles on my car, all of it on pavement and there are small chips behind the rear wheels.

bcmind
02-02-2004, 10:31 PM
it's way too thin on the paint...

little hit-by-other's-door and the paint will chip badly...

han74j
02-02-2004, 10:48 PM
yeah i agree the paint is too thin i have at least 4 or 5 spots where u can clearly see that its fucked! piss me off i need to get the paint so i can turn my car into a white car instend of white car with black spots all over the place. anyone know the stock paint cost?

leaveit2bevo
02-03-2004, 01:49 AM
yeah i agree the paint is too thin i have at least 4 or 5 spots where u can clearly see that its fucked! piss me off i need to get the paint so i can turn my car into a white car instend of white car with black spots all over the place. anyone know the stock paint cost?

I feel your pain man, our white evos look like leopards or something. I have these little brown spots all over and the reg clay bar wont get the fuckers out.

JackMan017
02-03-2004, 10:41 PM
Reason why I ask is because I was seriously considering this car vs. its cousin (the sti)

Obviously, if im going to spend 30K on a car, i would hope the paint would hold up better than what a lot of people have experienced. Im not trying to be rude or anything, im simply trying to get an idea of how the quality of the paint is.

Im sure the perf. and handling of the car outweighs any aspect of the paint quality, but im just not sure if im ready to drop 30K on a beautiful car with a sub par paint job.

pangaroo
02-03-2004, 11:16 PM
Bevo,

According to the District Manager and his cronies, ALL white paint stains on contact with birdshit. :roll: I have the same problem, it stains like a bitch, looks like we all got polka dot cars.

After getting a stain 1 hour after the car was professionally detailed, they still have the ballz to say that all cars are like this, and their paint is just as good as any other.

han74j
02-03-2004, 11:24 PM
lol oh yeah bird shit!! if u dont clean off the bird shit, it will leave a mark after u wash ur car unless you clean it like crazy!!! so for all white evos bird shit = bird shit paint job =0)

erioshi
02-04-2004, 12:52 AM
I guess the only good thing to come out of folding my Evo last fall was that they ended up having to (re-) paint about 80% of my car to get the whole thing looking right. My paint is much better (and a bit thicker) now than it was when new.

All things considered, I'd still prefer to be facing paint issues with an un-bent Evo, though.

Tofurky
02-06-2004, 02:32 AM
The dealer gave me a complimentary car wash when I bought it.. since it had been sitting in a dirt lot for a couple months...

but they pretty much just threw some water on it, and dried it....

i have tiny swirl marks everywhere! seriously looks like shit.
Everyone who sees it during the day will point it out, "uhhh what's up with the paint?"

thanks Thousand Oaks Mitsu!

Zero
02-06-2004, 03:30 AM
Malibu racer... I'm amazed by your 'greenness.' I remember back when I was 17... I'd already crashed a car by then, on my way to crash more. Take good care of that car... seems easier to crash when you are young. BTW... even with as crappy as evo paint is, no factory I know of sends their cars from the assemblyline to be painted in a body shop. They usually have a big machine that dips everything in primer or base coat, etc, and a vacuum mechanical paint booth that paints and bakes the paint... hence why alot of the metal that makes up the guts of the car is the same color as your exterior.

I am really thinking of getting a white evo... but I too have noticed the crappy paint. The evo I drive is silver... it seems to be holding quite well, especially compared to the other colors/wear on other evos... also when comparing, the silver seems to have more of that scratch/chip resistent film around the bottom parts of the bumper, skirts, etc., than on say... black. I wonder why?

RaysurX
02-06-2004, 09:26 AM
No major issues at 4000 miles....

I Zaino'd the car after purchase (time to do it again) and I do a 80 mile round trip daily commute up and down the 5fwy each day. I guess I've been lucky as I don't have any chips in the front facia. I do have some normal bent fins in the FMIC but nothing major. No door chips, no dings no gifts from birds to date.

Silver does seem to mask the swirls/dirt alot better. I do recall seeing BLACK and BBY evos before I purchased and I ALWAYS saw bad swirling on those colors on the lot.

mprtklr
02-06-2004, 11:18 AM
no paint problems here.... :)

559EVO
02-09-2004, 10:44 PM
Anybody have paint job hookups to repaint our cars with better quality and if you have how much did it cost?

Takashi
02-10-2004, 10:48 AM
just to let you guys know (if you didn't already), standard wrx paint sux too, and the rumor is that the sti paint is no better, so i dont think that the paint should be a deciding factor between the two cars....
greg

mr. evo
02-10-2004, 01:02 PM
I agree with Takashi - I definately don't think it is a very wise decision choosing a preformance car becuase of paint. Test drive them both, and then when you realize that you were wrong about ever mentioning the sti, purchase the evo and go have a blast. The preformance alone will destract you long enough to forget about thin paint.