PDA

View Full Version : Evo's in the rain?

evolinda
02-03-2004, 05:07 PM
Ok, I've heard that the tires aren't the best for wet driving. And, I know it never rains in SoCal, except right now, I was wondering how grippy does the Evo feel in the wet?

leaveit2bevo
02-03-2004, 06:06 PM
EVO+RAIN=fun I can put the evo into a slide really easily when it rains. I had bald advans though when I did it, I had a harder time last night on my azenis put I could still step it out and slide through intersections.

han74j
02-03-2004, 06:26 PM
yes just because u have a 4wd doesn't mean that u will never spin out! meet 6 i got lost and while getting back on the freeway, i was goign somewhere between 50-60 when i got out of the onramp my car started to lose control, but of coruse with my internations A lisence i adjusted and didnt crash my car. best place to test out how well ur car handles in rains is go to a mall parking lot at night and jsut go crazy! its fun adn u dont waste too much rubber on ur tires.

GokuSSJ4
02-03-2004, 10:08 PM
not cool went it rains on the evo are you found out for the 1st time how bad the advans slide ... its very easy to loose it on the rain if you are not careful

Chris in SD
02-04-2004, 06:18 PM
It REALLY rains out here in Virginia, and the Advans stick like glue. The only mistakes some of the guys out here made was to run them in snow and slush - BIG MISTAKE. I am running Yoko AVS Winters now and they aren't too bad. Any suggestions for a 245/40/18 for my new wheels (summer or R-compound)?

Takashi
02-05-2004, 04:11 PM
EVO+RAIN=fun I can put the evo into a slide really easily when it rains. I had bald advans though when I did it, I had a harder time last night on my azenis put I could still step it out and slide through intersections.

how do the advans compare to the azenis?
greg

Secret Chimp
02-05-2004, 04:47 PM
I like my Azenis just as much as I liked the stock Advans. You get 99% of the traction, 2x the tread wear, 100% of the road noise, at 50% of the price.....and they work well in the rain if you have reasonable tread left on the rubber.

I have had no sliding troubles since I have been out here. But then again, I learned to drive on the east coast where it rains and snows A LOT. So I know how to handle myself in inclement weather conditions.

You SoCal'ers are an odd lot of drivers in the rain. Some slow down to like 4-5mph to make a turn or to go down an on ramp. Some of you slam on your breaks mid turn in the rain. Some of you try to accelerate too quickly. Sliding in the rain isn't purely about the speed you are going....it's got a lot to do with how/when you apply throttle brakes and steering inputs. Do just one at a time (steer, brake or turn) and you will have no problems.

SC~

AreWeNotMen - We Are Evo
02-05-2004, 04:55 PM
You've got to remember. We are the United Nations here. Some of our drivers use to ride on a skid behind a water buffalo before they came here and got a license.

Takashi
02-05-2004, 05:27 PM
I like my Azenis just as much as I liked the stock Advans. You get 99% of the traction, 2x the tread wear, 100% of the road noise, at 50% of the price.....and they work well in the rain if you have reasonable tread left on the rubber.

I have had no sliding troubles since I have been out here. But then again, I learned to drive on the east coast where it rains and snows A LOT. So I know how to handle myself in inclement weather conditions.

You SoCal'ers are an odd lot of drivers in the rain. Some slow down to like 4-5mph to make a turn or to go down an on ramp. Some of you slam on your breaks mid turn in the rain. Some of you try to accelerate too quickly. Sliding in the rain isn't purely about the speed you are going....it's got a lot to do with how/when you apply throttle brakes and steering inputs. Do just one at a time (steer, brake or turn) and you will have no problems.

SC~

first of all, i am californian born and raised, and i will confirm, californians dont know how to drive in bad weather conditions, whether it be snow, rain or whatever...

second, how do the azenis compare weight-wise to the advans. my understanding is that the azenis, although great on grip, are a bit on the heavy side. i could be wrong though...

greg

leaveit2bevo
02-05-2004, 10:34 PM
azenis are heavier by how much I dont know but they are better in my opionion then the advans.

Secret Chimp
02-06-2004, 03:49 PM
They are heavier than the stock advans. But by how much? ...not too sure... Only a few pounds (2-4) at most is my guess.

RaysurX
02-06-2004, 05:13 PM
They are heavier also because they are a WIDER profile right? I remember talking to you about your tires at the Tustin meet awhile back. I like the tread design and appreciate the price compared to the Advans.

At 4k.... I'm about halfway to my needed tire purchase.

Re: Californians and the rain...
Yup a majority of drivers "check in their brain" when there is the slightest bit of rain falling down. Its even worse when there is FOG.... arrrgh....

ebevo
10-18-2005, 02:38 PM
did a search and found this topic

just wondering since i have 1400 miles on my tires and its been raining...do the stock tires give any signs of losing traction control like tires squealing, etc

do i need to change the ACD settings? i was thinking of just leaving it in tarmac mode

drove my beater car yesterday felt weird but safer with FF + less power to the wheels...besides rain will end later tonight so why get my baby all wet for a couple days worth of rain

when the advans wear out i'll be searching for a set of wheels...use will be for everyday street driving, longer tire wear, lesser road noise and more cushy, perform decent in wet weather, and for less $$$ than stock tires...is there such a thing? :D

read somewhere the mich ps2 were pretty good for wet weather :?

kcross
10-18-2005, 02:46 PM
ill second that, michelin ps2 have tremendous resistance to hydroplaning and really make it a non-issue.

Chris in SD
10-18-2005, 02:50 PM
Advans are great in the wet. Guys in VA used them for wet track days all the time.

As for the PS2s, I have them on my S4 now and they were AWESOME on my drive out to VA in torrential rain for 3 days.

GOOSE_Ej
10-18-2005, 04:15 PM
so from wat ive read the stock tires suck in the rain?? hhmmm?? wat about the vent where water is going in is that bad??? i have the stock cover on it but water still gets in...

ErroR
10-18-2005, 04:55 PM
so from wat ive read the stock tires suck in the rain?? hhmmm?? wat about the vent where water is going in is that bad??? i have the stock cover on it but water still gets in...

Don't worry about it too much. The car was designed to last not explode when it rained outside.

EvoPwr
10-18-2005, 04:58 PM

Don't worry about it too much. The car was designed to last not explode when it rained outside.

yes, water will not hurt the engine from the vent.

EvoStevo
10-18-2005, 05:12 PM
i've only driven my Evo once in the rain. I'm too paranoid someone will run into my baby. Drive your beater car just to be safe.

silvery_eagle
10-18-2005, 05:16 PM
oh yea... true that...
even though the car is safe in the rain with advan as long as you don't boost like crazy, there are always some morons out there... if you have beater just use them.
for me i dont have beater so i pray every time.

** Rain-X is a great product! ** time to use it guys... you never have to use the rain wiper again!

SpdyEvo02
10-18-2005, 05:52 PM
i could drive a H2 and then just plow into everyone and never dent the H2

kcross
10-18-2005, 05:56 PM
to touch on the tire issue one more time, as some have said the advans are good too, i bought my car last year in december ( it rained last year if anyone forgot) and i never had an issue and by never had an issue i mean driving through 6 inches of water at 60mph on purpose.

Chris in SD
10-18-2005, 06:40 PM
Yep the Advans are fine in the rain. The problem is that some of you cheap bastards wait until the cords are showing before you buy new tires and then you wonder why you have no traction... :roll: As for not driving in the rain, be glad you have that luxury. Out here in VA, it rains 2-3 days/week. You sort of get used to it. I am not used to: 1) No Del Taco 2) No Santana's 3) No In-N-Out 4) No Rubio's and the big #5) No hot chicks.

sidewaysevo
10-18-2005, 06:43 PM
It REALLY rains out here in Virginia, and the Advans stick like glue. The only mistakes some of the guys out here made was to run them in snow and slush - BIG MISTAKE. I am running Yoko AVS Winters now and they aren't too bad. Any suggestions for a 245/40/18 for my new wheels (summer or R-compound)?
I just got sum toyo tr1's in 255/35/18's and they grip pretty good. Might want to try those.

toku-one
10-18-2005, 06:52 PM
to add to chris' point advans with traction are fine in the rain...
however, since we dont get as much rain out here as they do there we have a lot more than just water on the road surfaces that make any tire a bit less grippy.

ebevo
10-18-2005, 07:48 PM
thanx for the replies...guess no need to worry about the advans in the rain as long as they got some thread left in them

i also read that the advans give poor audible warnings that traction is about to break loose like the tires squeeling, etc...is this really true?

does anyone change the ACD settings while it rains...i'm planning to leave it on tarmac

kcross
10-18-2005, 07:52 PM
in my opinion the advans do break away less predictably and far more sudden (not sooner but with less warning) than ps2's

for the acd. i do switch it to gravel (its meant for gravel and wet conditions, but dont expect much if any difference unless you have a ralliart gravel ecu.

Chris in SD
10-18-2005, 08:27 PM
If you are breaking the Advans loose in the dry on the street, you are driving like an ass...

kcross
10-18-2005, 09:59 PM
ortega? malibu? newport coast? if you aren't breaking your advans loose, youre an ass.

Macky
10-18-2005, 10:31 PM
you guys should be more worried about the oils that a short rain shower brings out rather than rain itself. its the oils on the road that make it slick.

rammsteinmatt
10-18-2005, 10:53 PM
No hot chicks.

because their brothers already snatched them up :2funny:

shouldnt you change your s/n to "Chris in VA" now?

lagcisco
10-18-2005, 11:46 PM
is launching in the rain much safer or easier on your car when it rains compared to when its dry?

always wanted to try it but to afraid to bend something

kcross
10-18-2005, 11:56 PM
launching in the rain will most likely result in you spinning your tires or burning out (depending on the amount of rain) launching can never really be considered "safe".

toku-one
10-19-2005, 05:44 PM
its obviously "safer" cause you are dealing with less friction.

launching with your tires off the ground clearly wouldnt do the harm that launching with them on the ground would do. i just dont know what scale youd be dealing with.

EvoPwr
10-19-2005, 05:49 PM
proxy 4s biatches!

Skiracer
10-19-2005, 06:13 PM
These work pretty good in flood conditions:
http://socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11007/normal_105-0551_IMG.JPG

j_nizzle
10-19-2005, 07:34 PM

not all of us live in flooded areas that dont have paved roads and streets...

Paul Kendall
10-19-2005, 07:49 PM
TOYO RA-1's are great in all weather.

j_nizzle
10-19-2005, 08:09 PM
*shameless plug for tires on sale*

ctarden
10-19-2005, 09:44 PM
Hey everybody,

I think the stock tires on my 05 are excellent in the rain.... I was used to driving in my FWD RSX Type S last year and it hydroplaned all over the place and was out of control... I went to the back of my work parking lot and took some hard turns and it was very difficult to brake the traction loose... Don't worry we have a huge empty parking lot, so no flames I know what I'm doing... I am very impressed with the ACD and Tires O0

twotan
10-19-2005, 09:47 PM
i drove all of last winter on bald RA-1's with no problem. just be a little carefull......... :grin: :grin:

Chris in SD
10-21-2005, 07:45 PM

Those are full snow tires... they are absolute crap in the dry. I speak from experience.

gh0stch1ld
10-25-2005, 10:22 AM
I like my Azenis just as much as I liked the stock Advans. *You get 99% of the traction, 2x the tread wear, 100% of the road noise, at 50% of the price.....and they work well in the rain if you have reasonable tread left on the rubber.

Which Azenis do you have?

Jakeg97
10-25-2005, 07:40 PM
i have no problem with advances in the wet. they seem to stick just fine