PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Have Intake Manifold?

han74j
02-03-2004, 11:20 PM
anyone have intake manifold? i been looking around the only one that have intake manifold is aps..... is there any other companies that makes the intake manifold? thx.

GokuSSJ4
02-04-2004, 01:03 AM
i know RRE was runing an after market IM , and also you can PM mark - gt40. since i know that he is going to be running one ...

gt40
02-04-2004, 01:38 AM
Contact Mark at Quantum Racing for this one:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50794

Tell him mark from la sent you...

GokuSSJ4
02-04-2004, 01:55 AM
if you keep stock turbo and all you do is bolt ons , do you see any gains or do they recommend this manifold ???

han74j
02-04-2004, 02:33 AM
hey how much whp did u gain from the intake manifold?

gt40
02-04-2004, 08:08 AM
More midrange, especially torque an big difference up top.

If you have more fuel ie: walbro, injectors and some tuning, it starts to get interesting....

Talk to Mark at quantum. The guy is pretty much no nonsense and has been a great source of tuning tweeks for my aem ems.

I look foreward to dynoing mine :D

QuantumEVO
02-04-2004, 09:14 AM
Hello, guys; this is Mark from Quantum Racing.
The manifold is designed for two purposes. The first is to improve the airflow balance of the manifold beyond the compromised design of the factory unit. The runners are of different length which is always bad on manifolds (In or Ex) when pushing large amounts of power. The second (and more exciting) purpose is to improve flow capabilities. If you look at most dyno sheets on EVO's with stock head and manifold, the torque slowly slides downhill; especially after about 5krpm. This is when the head and manifold have started to reach their limits. You can, of course build a car to make that statement incorrect, but the head/manifold are still choking the setup a LOT. By increasing the capacity and decreasing the runner length, you can continue to pull hard and make near peak torque up to 9krpm at least. This yields great benefits since many built EVO's have the bottom end and the valvetrain to handle over 9krpm. You power band now goes from 4k~5.5k to 4k~8k which makes the big turbo EVO's a completely different animal.
The APS unit looks nice but it's simply a copycat design of the factory unit with uprated tank and perhaps shorter runners. The BJCH manifold has years of extensive flowbench testing.
While throwing the manifold on a stock turbo car is amusing, it is mainly a tool for the wicked. It works best with a Competition head (stage 4+) or at Street/Strip (stage 3) and an uprated turbo. The Boost Solutions car with the HKS T51R SPL has this manifold on as well and has already noted an amazing amount of improvement.
There are not a large number of these manifolds out and about yet; many are going on big project vehicles (the record breakers) and therefore are held up from dyno testing since there is about 30 other things being done at the same time. That being said, the DSM variant has noted as much as 60 whp gain on an upgraded turbo car. Many of that I am sure, is at the higher rpms of course. If you already have a head/turbo/standalone, etc. You could gain a lot more of course.
http://forums.evolutionm.net/attachment.php?s=&postid=576107
http://forums.evolutionm.net/attachment.php?s=&postid=576129
http://forums.evolutionm.net/attachment.php?s=&postid=576114

Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com

han74j
02-04-2004, 12:46 PM
thx mark!! wow up to 60 huh nice. you guys have any dyno charts on a stock evo with just the intake manifold replacement?

GokuSSJ4
02-04-2004, 01:16 PM
thats great and thanks for the reply , but if it would go on a stock evo with just bolt ons ( cams, FMIC, Turbo back , ICP and stand alone )
Will they be any gains or can the runners be a bit to big for the set up and cost you to loose bottom end . That manifold would be a nice upgrade but i dont plan to do head work (maybe valve springs )
An down the road a larger turbo ..

gt40
02-04-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Mark at Quantum Racing:

...power band now goes from 4k~5.5k to 4k~8k which makes the big turbo EVO's a completely different animal.

This car is starting to get interesting...

augi1
02-04-2004, 05:25 PM
thats great and thanks for the reply , but if it would go on a stock evo with just bolt ons ( cams, FMIC, Turbo back , ICP and stand alone )
Will they be any gains or can the runners be a bit to big for the set up and cost you to loose bottom end . That manifold would be a nice upgrade but i dont plan to do head work (maybe valve springs )
An down the road a larger turbo ..

I hade a similar question as above and since I do not know too much about car's I was wondering the differeance between intake and exhast manifolds and the pro/con of upgrading the exhaust maniforl.

thanks for any info.

han74j
02-04-2004, 07:42 PM
the intake manifold is where air goes in right before the engine, and the exhaust manifold is "headers" where air comes out of the engine.

GokuSSJ4
02-04-2004, 10:26 PM
the reason i ask , cause if the runners are huge ,compare to stock which are made to match stock settings(unless there very restrictive ) you will loose some bottom end. Since you are not pushing enought .

The IM can be design for a larger turbo a port and polish on the head that also increases air flow . Im sure you will see huge gains like it was mention before , but how about in stock trim with some bolt ons ?

BOVBILLY
02-05-2004, 12:54 PM
Beautiful piece of work.

My question is this:

HOW MUCH?

QuantumEVO
02-06-2004, 07:29 AM
OK, let me answer a few questions. The manifold has not been dynoed on a mostly stock car; it isn't really meant for bone stock cars or cars that are planning on staying near stock. The cost of the manifold is $950, so it isn't cheap. It comes with it's own (BIG) fuel rail but you still have to feed and return it with -8AN lines, regulate it, etc.
The manifold will no doubt cost you bottom end. It is designed for excellent flow properties; not low rpm grunt. The manifold makes nice gains by being equal runner length and more aerodynamic/smoother on the inside but it also has a larger surge tank and tapered runners.
This is normally a manifold installed on road course cars and drag cars. It isn't all about just 9krpm power, but it does do a great job of allowing you to have it.
To answer your question on manifolds, the intake manifold is a restriction just like the head and will give you the same effects when upgrading (if done right). The exhaust manifold should be equal length and a good 4-2-1 design. Note that the diameter of the "2" stage should be roughly the diameter of one runner in the "4" stage. It shouldn't be twice as big in cross sectional area. While you may envision that the exhaust gasses flowing through the manifold are constant, they are actually pulses and the "2" stage still only has one cylinder's pulse in it at a time. Going larger causes extra lag. Going with unequal length just screws the pulses all up and causes slightly inconsistent flow capabilities at different rpm in one cylinder versus another.

Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com

ItsStockOfficer
02-06-2004, 11:00 AM
I bought a magnus yesterday, I will let you guys know what I think of it. This is on a older gen 4g63, but the review should be helpful regardless.

GokuSSJ4
02-06-2004, 12:15 PM
thanks for the reply !!
are you guys also planing on adding a larger Throtle body ( or anything in the works ) or the stock one is more then enough went using this type of manifold.
950.00 is not bad , since it also includes the fuel rail on it .

QuantumEVO
02-06-2004, 12:32 PM
The manifold is made so that you can use either the stock TB or go up to a 75mm Accufab unit.

Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com