PDA

View Full Version : Please define "TUNING"

RaysurX
02-06-2004, 01:07 PM
**** Warning Noobie question Alert *****
(Flame suit activated)

Ok.... I have some simple modding experience but turbos are Greek to me and so is quote "tuning".

I've read board postings regarding adding mods and I keep reading... "I've installed "part X" but wont' fully experience the gains until I get "tuned""

Here is the simple question: Is getting "tuned"..... ECU programming? or other adjustments to the engine? or both.

Another basic question..... If one were to install Intake, DP, Exhaust and a boost controller.... would a "tune" (ECU PROGRAMMING?) be necessary? or would the ECU automatically adjust to these specific parts.

My assumption is that true "tuning" is modifying the ECU settings via piggy back, flash or adding a standalone ECU and is not necessary for "bolt ons" as exampled above.

Am I thinking right? or do I need to go to www.howstuffworks.com?

Thanx in advance guys.

akara1
02-06-2004, 01:15 PM
Your pretty accurate with your assumption about tuning. Tuning can be done either by re-programming the ecu, changing to a standalone ecu, or by making adjustments to the ecu using piggyback devices such as boost controllers, or airflow converters. The stock ecu will not adapt to performance mods to optimize them. It will adapt only to keep the car running within its set parameters. Tuning is important because when you make changes to the engine such as intake or exhaust, you must compensate for those changes by adjusting the amount of fuel that the engine recieves, if you want to see maximum power gains from the parts you install.

Im sure ive missed some stuff, but hope this helps.

han74j
02-06-2004, 01:52 PM
akara is very right!!! the once u have ur piggy back or stand alone tune you will see a big difference of gain whp in your car!!! i think its almost a must after you r pretty much done wiht ur upgrades on ur car!