PDA

View Full Version : when do i need to upgrade my IC?

rizalhoo
02-06-2004, 01:52 PM
hey just wondering since i notice some people have upgrade their intercooler and all...just curious and wanting to know when is the time to upgrade the IC?

I browsed over the xs engineering web and found that they are having a sale on their IC and I think one of them is for the evo

Quote from xs-engineering.com
XS Power IC GTR Core (24"x11"x3")
PN: XS10-0001 List: $549 Sale:$439.20

usually it is for $895 or something like that

anyhow im not promoting any of xs product or whatsoever, just curious when to upgrade our IC? anyhow i'm not planning to do some hardcore mods (like upgrade turbo or whatsoever, maybe cams) for the near future though

Thanks a lot for all the info :)

EDIT: sorry I think there is a mistake on the price quoted from the xs, my mistake since I thought its for the evo's IC :P sorry

GokuSSJ4
02-06-2004, 01:54 PM
the XS FMIC is 895.00
not 549.00
wish it was lol...
if you plan to upgrade your turbo then a fmic is a must , depending what your goal is .
i been told stock is good till 400hp , after that a larger one is a must .
On the AVO they have seen increase of hp and tq on a stock motor with just turbo back . So they are gains to be found ...

han74j
02-06-2004, 01:55 PM
im not really sure, but i think upgrading ur ic when ur air flow is pretty much all cleared. intake, may be intake manifold, headers, dp, cat delete, cat back than i think adding a IC would help wiht the air flow, but i read in some mags they had dyno some IC forgot which brand, u gain like 3 WHP.

rizalhoo
02-06-2004, 01:59 PM
yeah i just noticed that I made a mistake on that after browsing more of their webs. sorry for all the false info on the xs IC anyhow im planning to like get the hks camshaft and cam gears...

pretty much maybe just going for like the stage 2 or half of the stage 3 since i was thinking to go get the cams...

leaveit2bevo
02-06-2004, 03:23 PM
Usually when you upgrade your IC you get a boost drop of something like 1psi so you might want to get a boost controller also.

Blak94GSX
02-06-2004, 03:40 PM
The stock FMIC seems work pretty well. Intercoolers aren't really direct power adders. Would be more accurate to say they reduce power loss. So in the summer time if you live in a hot area you will notice the difference between an efficient and inefficient intercooler much easier.

Is hard to say exactly when you need to upgrade. Due to the expense and the decent functionality of the stock unit, I'd say you don't need to worry about it until after 400awhp.

It is also a matter of the fuel you are using to make max power. If you are trying to make the best power on 91 octane cali pee water, then you will need an upgraded FMIC before someone running 100 octane. Ultimately the FMIC's inability to cool the intake charge enough to prevent knock with the type of fuel being used is what limits the power output.

With that said, there is a measurable reduction in outlet air temperature between the stock FMIC and the Greddy unit.

rizalhoo
02-06-2004, 04:16 PM
ahh...ic. Thanks for the info

btw mark(gt40) have u upgrade your ic? just wondering though since i know u are in the 400+(w)hp range....

han74j
02-06-2004, 05:32 PM
whats FMIC??

akara1
02-06-2004, 07:00 PM
FMIC stands for Front Mount Intercooler.

This may be a bit off topic, but if any of you guys are planning on running the Buschur fmic, be sure to have a boost controller installed, since their upgrade basically gets rid of the cars stock boost controller. I had to find that out by hitting boost cut. Wish they would have told me :roll:

Blak94GSX
02-06-2004, 07:22 PM
That means it is working better than stock. The ECU fuel cuts based on airflow, not boost. So you are now getting more airflow due to the less restrictive FMIC, thus the car fuel cuts.

You should be upset if the car didn't fuel cut!

akara1
02-06-2004, 07:25 PM
No, what happened is that with the Buschur lower ic piping, it gets rid of the fitting that has a hose attached to it that goes from the turbo outlet, to the wastegate, to the boost solenoid. My wastegate was not opening, and my car was overboosting. There was no boost reference for the solenoid, thats why i was hitting boost cut. Really not a good thing, becasue the car literally had no boost control.

Blak94GSX
02-06-2004, 08:02 PM
Ah yeah... You can always put a nipple on there.

akara1
02-06-2004, 08:34 PM
Ya i guess you could, but if they had only told me about it, i would have put a nipple on it before i put it in the car. When i asked them, they just told me to cap off the hose and that it was not necessary :pissed:

Blak94GSX
02-06-2004, 08:46 PM
Sounds like the Buschur FMIC for the 1G DSM that wouldn't fit with the MAF intake hose.

Good unit, works awesome, just requires some "fabrication".

moogle
02-07-2004, 12:51 AM
avo intercooler on import tuner power page.

18 hp 0-3500
-8 hp on 5500 - 7000 rpm.

Blak94GSX
02-07-2004, 01:26 AM
I wouldn't put much stock in the whole before/after dyno thing, especially for an intercooler. Remember it isn't exactly a power adder.

The AVO is a bar/plate core design. You can do better for less with other vendors.

perversity
02-07-2004, 12:49 PM
Does a new FMIC really make any difference with daily driving? More to the point, surely the benefit would be seen either A) on a hot day when ambient temps are higher, or B) when the car is really hot from hard driving conditions.

I do know that when we drove angeles crest for meet #6 GT40s car with the AVO intercooler was a significantly cooler than cars with stock FMICs. I don't know how that translates to WHP, but its got to be a good thing.

I am also looking to get a new FMIc so any advice would be good at this juncture.

akara1
02-07-2004, 02:05 PM
If i had to do it again, i would probably get the Perrin or the APS. I know that the Perrin keep s the crash beam, but im not sure about the APS

760evo
05-27-2004, 08:47 AM
On the Buschur I just ran that hose that was on the turbo outlet pipe up to the line that goes to the BOV. You must make sure to put the little brass restrictor in the new line. I didn't at first and it only boosted 12psi, which is the pressure the wastegate starts opening, then put it in and back to stock boost. Then I took out the other restictor on the boost control solenoid and I now peak at 20 and it settles to 17 in 1-3gear and 18 in 4-5 gears. Stock I peaked at 18 and settled to 15-16. I haven't had any pinging issues or fuel cut. I am however about to put a S-AFC II on and we will see if I have to put the restrictor back in or if I can tune the AFC good running our 91 piss gas.

CACalomino
05-27-2004, 12:46 PM
If i had to do it again, i would probably get the Perrin or the APS. I know that the Perrin keep s the crash beam, but im not sure about the APS

If im not mistaken the Greddy also still retains the front crash bar as well