PDA

View Full Version : Cam, Cam Gears and Timing Belts. Oh my.

ObsoleteAsian
02-09-2004, 11:58 AM
I figured I may be able to find some answers around here. Im looking for a cheap shop, not cheap as in cheap cheap but reasonbly priced but does great work.

I heard SRT so far from posts but Anahiem is a little out of the way for me and I am located in San Fernando Valley. Brainstorm is a little pricy I think for my needs. But I want to get HKS 264/272 installed. And the Vishnu Cam Gears installed, and perhaps a strong timing belt for safety? worthy of a purchase or not? I havn't bought these items yet, but will be pending saving cash in the next month or so. Plus I need a place that I can get my EGT tapped into my manifold. With this i am going to get the xede flash and upgrade my xede map to the stage1 with cams.. that is my plan.. so if you have any places i can go. btw. not familiar with installation but how long would it take. cause if the distance is far it would have to be something i can sit and wait. I really don't have time to be apart from my car due to class and work 24/7. Btw i know a few of you are into resale.. If you can I am looking for prices on the cams and the timing belt. so far I have seen the cams for 250 a piece and the timing belt for a lil under 160.

BOVBILLY
02-09-2004, 12:19 PM
SRT Motorsports. Ask for Sam. Have Ceasar do your work.

Kicks ass

GokuSSJ4
02-09-2004, 01:48 PM
if you have the money for it , might as well do the timing belt . imo is worth the money that you spend on , for the amount that you have found the cams is a good price . Since at the begining of the year prices on HKS items went up ..

BOVBILLY
02-09-2004, 01:54 PM
that is true.

Listen to Thomas, he knows his shit!

leaveit2bevo
02-09-2004, 04:58 PM
If your looking for a shop to tap for the egt make sure that they take the manifold off! alot of people are just drilling the manifold while the car is running which is the wrong way to do it.

GokuSSJ4
02-09-2004, 05:16 PM
thats one of the reason im not doing egt , forget about someone drilling on the intake manifold . :yikes:

ItsStockOfficer
02-10-2004, 01:39 AM
If your looking for a shop to tap for the egt make sure that they take the manifold off! alot of people are just drilling the manifold while the car is running which is the wrong way to do it.

Why? I would really like to hear this, since this is exactly how every DSM shop on the planet does it, and how I have done it at least a dozen times, without a second though, on cars with 1000 dollar turbo's...

ItsStockOfficer
02-10-2004, 01:40 AM
thats one of the reason im not doing egt , forget about someone drilling on the intake manifold . :yikes:

exhaust

gt40
02-10-2004, 02:17 AM
Why? I would really like to hear this, since this is exactly how every DSM shop on the planet does it, and how I have done it at least a dozen times, without a second though, on cars with 1000 dollar turbo's...

I guess it comes down to what works vs. what is ideal... You drill your exhaust manifold you will put a 1/2 teaspoon of steel shavings for your turbo to suck up. you may or may not do damage...

Probably overstated on the risk based upon the fact that for some years people have done this to turbocharged cars...

On the otherhand, what if it was your stock turbo taking a dump cause' you put in an egt gauge? I just sold my stock turbo to someone who just killed theirs on their evo so it isn't a hypothetical question although i am happy to sell it!

Coolguy949
02-10-2004, 02:56 AM
When drilling for an EGT probe you leave your engine running so all the shavings go out the hole instead of through the exhaust side of your turbo...

Placement of the probe is VITAL in terms of which runner to use and how far away from the block. 1 inch could be a 100 degree difference. Most people put it on exhaust runner #1 with about a 1 inch distance.

ItsStockOfficer
02-10-2004, 10:09 PM

I guess it comes down to what works vs. what is ideal... You drill your exhaust manifold you will put a 1/2 teaspoon of steel shavings for your turbo to suck up. you may or may not do damage...

Probably overstated on the risk based upon the fact that for some years people have done this to turbocharged cars...

On the otherhand, what if it was your stock turbo taking a dump cause' you put in an egt gauge? I just sold my stock turbo to someone who just killed theirs on their evo so it isn't a hypothetical question although i am happy to sell it!

You did not overstate danger, you created danger where none exists. all those shavings get blasted into your face...

and lets say, hypothetically, the went through your turbo....how exactly are they going to hurt it at idle?

GokuSSJ4
02-10-2004, 10:26 PM
the reason i stated intake manifold , because thats is where i was told they install it on the evo .. IMO is not worth it (on my case ) i prefer running other gauges then egt ....

Hey gt40 so you sold your stock unit ???
was it to the guy on the white evo that mess up his stock unit ...

ItsStockOfficer
02-10-2004, 10:42 PM
the reason i stated intake manifold , because thats is where i was told they install it on the evo .. IMO is not worth it (on my case ) i prefer running other gauges then egt ....

How much fuel tuning have you done? What guages do you prefer to use?

Are you getting tunning advice from the same people who told you to tap your egt in the intake manifold?

QuickShifter
02-10-2004, 10:49 PM
this is a pretty stupid argument, unbolt the stupid exhaust manifold and drill it, eliminate any risk wether or not one is evident, your 30,000 dollar car is not an argument when it comes to being safe....this is what you would look like when your turbo blew right as peak boost hits in 3rd gear around 80 mph :shock:

GokuSSJ4
02-10-2004, 10:59 PM

How much fuel tuning have you done? What guages do you prefer to use?

Are you getting tunning advice from the same people who told you to tap your egt in the intake manifold?

This is what i was told from the same shop , also im sure you can benefit from it . But theres a lot of peeps that get the egt for looks and not for what is ment for ..
I want to run boost , oil psi and havent decided on the other one i plan to run ..
Believe me if i can know the benefits of running an egt gauge let me know . Im always willing to learn ..

leaveit2bevo
02-11-2004, 01:31 AM
this is a pretty stupid argument, unbolt the stupid exhaust manifold and drill it, eliminate any risk wether or not one is evident, your 30,000 dollar car is not an argument when it comes to being safe....this is what you would look like when your turbo blew right as peak boost hits in 3rd gear around 80 mph :shock:

That pretty much sums it up perfectly why even take the chance?

GokuSSJ4
02-13-2004, 10:23 AM
well thats what is IMO , to some it may be worth it . To others not .....

perversity
02-13-2004, 10:38 AM
You run an EGT guage to see if your engine is running dangerously hot due to bad air/fuel setup. Ideally you would run 1 EGT to each runner, so that you could monitor each cylinder individually, but that's a bit overkill. Generally a lot of tuners use EGT and boost guages to tune their car.

As far as driling the manifold on/off the car goes, lots of people have drilled the manifold whilst idling the car with no problems. The key to this exercise is making sure that your drill bits are sharp, that you drill slowly to allow the cut material to be ejected and that you use plenty of coolant to make sure that things don't get stuck.

The safest way to do it is to remove the manifold, and if you don't want to take that chance of debris getting sucked into the turbo that's the only sure fire way to do it.

ItsStockOfficer
02-13-2004, 10:57 AM
You run an EGT guage to see if your engine is running dangerously hot due to bad air/fuel setup. Ideally you would run 1 EGT to each runner, so that you could monitor each cylinder individually, but that's a bit overkill. Generally a lot of tuners use EGT and boost guages to tune their car.

As far as driling the manifold on/off the car goes, lots of people have drilled the manifold whilst idling the car with no problems. The key to this exercise is making sure that your drill bits are sharp, that you drill slowly to allow the cut material to be ejected and that you use plenty of coolant to make sure that things don't get stuck.

The safest way to do it is to remove the manifold, and if you don't want to take that chance of debris getting sucked into the turbo that's the only sure fire way to do it.

A. Shit is not going to get sucked into the turbo, manifold pressure at ide is a good 10+ psi, which may not sound like much, but is a shit load. Try to stop 10 psi coming out of an air compressor with your thumb...

B. What bad happens if metal particulates go through the turbo charger? The turbine back plate prevents the shavings from hreacing anything that matters, if they wanted to, which they won't, and contact with the turbine blades at idle means nothing...

I am getting irritated by all these people saying that leaving the manifold on the car is some half assed way of doing it. No one has been able to explain to me whats wrong with it....