PDA

View Full Version : What are some legal mods?

ek9jdmhb
02-10-2004, 02:53 PM
before you say anything, I tried a search already. Now basically, the chino hills police are cracking down on modified cars and I dont want to get busted. They pulled me over for a large wing, and exhaust. From what I heard, exhaust are legal, as long as they are cat back, and meet the deciple level, but he told me you cant modify the exhaust at all. He also asked me to pop my hood, I refused, and he said that me saying no gave him suspiscion to believe that I had something illegal, so he searched anyways and found nothing.

I asked my teacher, who worked at a smog only place, and he told me that any mods before the cat, must have a carb legal sticker. I want to know, what products/companies offer this. I know an hks intake is legal, but what about piping, bovs, intercoolers, cams, cam gears, tt, b/c, ect. I want to start a list of legal mods because most vendors wont list if a product is legal or not.

CACalomino
02-10-2004, 03:02 PM
well there is not offical smogg legal down pipe. BUt u can put any of them on and they wont mess with smogg do dont worry about that. As far as intake I know the AEM,K@N are legal an come with CARB stickers for smogg day. Cams are not legal. BOV it legal as long as it recirculative like stolk one.

HOpe that helps

Zero
02-10-2004, 08:15 PM
Yet another example of a moronic, paddywagon-driving, donut-and-coffee swilling swine who has no clue about the laws he's 'enforcing.'

Saying no to an officer for a search is NOT enough cause for him to be able to look under your hood. If you really want to piss him off, say no, state your rights and make him call a judge to make you open that hood.
100 bucks says that the judge will tell him to piss off. Same thing if you get pulled over and an officer asks to search your vehicle.

What really chaps me is the ignorance of these cops. You spend 30k on a car like and EVO and get pulled over for the STOCK wing and a 4 inch STOCK exhaust tip. If Chino Hills is like any other nice, safe, affluent town in Southern California (I'm guessing it is since its much like Brea, YL, and others near it), the cops just have NOTHING useful to do with their time and just another example of wasteful spending of our tax dollars. It's only in cities like HB, Irvine, Newport, Lake Forest, etc., that I've ever even been looked over twice by a cop. I lived in downtown LA for almost 2 years and never got one BS incident with the cops. Why? Because they have REAL things to do with their time and are actually contributing in a positive way to the community (and our tax dollars).

As for mods... this is why I'm all for the sleeper look. Don't spend all the money on the bling crap thats just going to get you pulled over. Keep it quiet, low-key and fast. Much more fun too when you blow away someone at the light that never knew it comming! :twisted:

GokuSSJ4
02-10-2004, 10:20 PM
thats on your case , i have been pull over in down town area and also south central for a fix up ticket. It wasnt the Evo but still got pulled over . If you are worry about smog a catback system is nice as long as you dont mess with your smog equipment (like cat, and 02 sensors) Works has spend alot of time of making some of there products smog legal , you should check them out ...

leaveit2bevo
02-11-2004, 01:15 AM
Hey zero im pretty sure that a CHP is allowed to pop your hood with no judge needed.