PDA

View Full Version : Saving money for bigger bang!

Anonymous
02-11-2004, 09:20 AM
I have come to a end point with buying lil mods here and there.......Obviously i learned from others who spend little money and still have problems and have to go out and buy more lil parts to actually be satisfied with their car. My goal it to get a Stage 5 or 6 kit for 5k which is reasonable because im going to be blasting 600whp+ on streets and eventually entering sponsership programs which will get my car to fame. Anyways im going to leave this post as is, im just saying what i feel and what i can get for what i pay for.

GokuSSJ4
02-11-2004, 09:32 AM
an where do you find this kit that for 5-6k will produce 600whp???? ..
If gt40 goal is to make that much power (if not more ) and he has spend just that on head and turbo upgrade (maybe a bit more ) that doesnt even include all the bolt ons and other upgrades that he has done ...

Anonymous
02-11-2004, 09:34 AM
well im scarficing to drive 2000 miles to the other side od the U.S. to get that price and installation with Tuning :).....i might even get 700whp at 9500 to 10000 rpms...I wont even have this set up untill September most likely

GokuSSJ4
02-11-2004, 09:52 AM
so you are telling me for that amount you are getting a fully head done (since you required at least valvesprings to rev pass 8k )
Larger turbo to make that much power , cams , cam gears . ecu management , larger injectors , upgraded fuel pump, turbo back (since last time i remember you didnt have one) larger FMIC ,LFMIP,UFMIP thats not even including port and polish and putting together the motor .. Im not even sure that the bottom end will hold till 9500-10000 rpms. Im sure at least the rods need to be upgraded ..
well good luck and hope that you get your goal accomplish

Anonymous
02-11-2004, 09:59 AM
- Im Choosing either the T04Z or the T51R KAI ball-bearing turbos
- Built bottom end
- headwork and cams to rev to 9500-10000rpms
- and of course everything else that is needed

GokuSSJ4
02-11-2004, 10:02 AM
not for 6k doh , if i was you i would talk to mark to see what involves to get that much out of your motor. That way he can point out what things are worth getting ....

Since he is going throught all of that to build his motor to make that much power ...

Anonymous
02-11-2004, 10:15 AM
dude, im driving 400o miles and probably more to get this deal :), plus its a great summer trip for my friends and i, just imagine....but i understand mark knows alot since he has the money and time to to talk to RRE who are making real race cars..i'll see whats up though, im still getting more info for this set up...

GokuSSJ4
02-11-2004, 10:54 AM
the reason i ask , is regarless how far you are driving . For more then a deal that they give you a 5-6k budget will not get you that .
Robi spend 5k on stage IV from Buschur and he is still running stock turbo .
Also the flash has shown limitations ( an even AL stated that went pushing for hire numbers he had to go with the EMS )
turbo 3600.00
stand alone ecu 1500.00(ems)
head work 3000.00 (valve springs, over size valves 1mm , ti retainers and work done to the valve seats and port and polish)
bottom end if just pistons are 560.00-600.00 im sure rods are around the same price
thats just a few items
cams 560.00
cam gears 300.00
FMIC 750.00(BR ) if not others around 900.00
ICP 600.00
turbo back 900.00
tuning a set up like that im sure at least 900.00
and thats not including labor to have some one take apart the motor and put it back together...

thats just to name a few things that you need

Anonymous
02-11-2004, 11:17 AM
i understand what i have to have, and im still trying to talk with the company which is boost-solutions in GA...i might have my car set up differently and i'll see, for now im in the process of what i need and not need..

GokuSSJ4
02-11-2004, 11:34 AM
boost solutions has really good prices on there items , good luck with your project !!

Absinthe
02-11-2004, 11:58 AM
an where do you find this kit that for 5-6k will produce 600whp???? ..
If gt40 goal is to make that much power (if not more ) and he has spend just that on head and turbo upgrade (maybe a bit more ) that doesnt even include all the bolt ons and other upgrades that he has done ...

6K of NOS and tuning will get you there for one pass

leaveit2bevo
02-11-2004, 12:13 PM
LOL there is not a chance 5k-6k is going to get you 600+whp so stop dreaming. I was at RRE yesterday and its well over 5k-6k and is making I think 500whp or so and 470tq.

GokuSSJ4
02-11-2004, 12:18 PM
thats the reason i post it , some of the prices of certain items required .
An thats just a few parts ...

han74j
02-11-2004, 12:59 PM
lol all i can say is good luck, and hope u have a great job that pays a lot =0P

Zero
02-11-2004, 01:16 PM
For that much power and to have it not blow up after a 1,000 or even a hundred miles? You are looking more than 40k for that... I'm guessing almost a new engine completely! The only thing left would probably be the block! Theres no way that 700 hp on a 2.0 liter engine would even be fun or streetable anyway... why even go for that? And by the way, going 'East Coast' isn't going to get you any better deal. Check out installation costs and such just for these parts... they can be double the part they are installing depending on what it is.

drmosh
02-11-2004, 01:25 PM
- Im Choosing either the T04Z or the T51R KAI ball-bearing turbos
- Built bottom end
- headwork and cams to rev to 9500-10000rpms
- and of course everything else that is needed

You really don't know anything about anything. This post confirms it. A T51R only achieves 90% spool rate at 9000 RPM. You need more than headwork or cams to rev to 10,000. The 4G63 won't necessarily rev to 10K under any condition, even with new sleeves and pistons, yer not just talking about minor internal work, yer talking about changing the crankshaft and other major engine components.

It's nice to daydream but do some research and understand the reality of it first.

gt40
02-11-2004, 01:50 PM
Looking at the upgrade path from the other end of 17k, I thought I would share some hard learned ideas:

Upgrades! It is a bit overwhelming on this car. With all the crap out there, you need to seriously have an upgrade path and begin with the end in mind.

I don't see how you can get there with only 5k

Before you go crazy though trying to go faster with mods keep the following in mind:

You probably will have more fun and be faster if you spend less on mods and invest in racing school!

As an alternative for 5k:

1. Go to a cart school and do at least a weekend program or two. You will be amazed at how much you can learn about real world physics on the track. $500

2. Go to racing school $3k

3. Get in as many track days as you can. $1500

Smoke everyone who hasn't done this...

At that point maybe start spending money on mods. I would do the suspension and brakes first but at some point you get to your motor.
Figure a target torque and hp you realistically want and then get several shops opinions on the most reliable cost effective way to get there.

Fyi, be careful of what you ask for... most people are not up to an honest to god 450+ hp car! 600 is absolutely nuts unless you got some serious experience/training or are just drag racing and then it is still crazy a bit...

You will run out of money long before you get there in any case most likely.

I know everyone has their own opinion, but if you are just interested in reliable power I will suggest the following upgrade path to consider for starters:

reasonable priced full 3" turboback exhaust +10-20 HP $700
intake +$200
fuel injectors $500
fuel pump $130
Intercooler and hardpipe kit- 5-8 hp mostly better heat capacity for the motor and a slight inprovement in spool $1300

Some means of tuning: flash, piggyback ems etc. $400-$2300 with the sensors.

Once you get those, go to a good tuner with and get them to tune it. Don't cheap out and save a decent amount of money for tuning it properly. Figure $500-$1000

Wait until you are done with your mods to save money!

Some of the kits out there are all around 5k for moderate performance and not a bad alternative. Those upgrades should put you solidly into the 330-380 at the wheels.

Btw, Don't forget that you will have to up to a grand or so to the above costs to get all the stuff above installed...

Work with a shop you trust who isn't just trying to sell you and tell him what you want... he may have a different path for you. Your choice in a shop is crucial btw...

You are nuts imo going to get your car tuned by a shop 3000 miles away. Tuning is a process and you will not be able to do it over the phone on an ongoing basis. Cars need maintenance, things break and you end up working with a local shop whether you want to or not.

As an alternative, you could always move!

BTW, if you are totally crazy and want more power and have money to burn, you got another 5-8k to add before you are done with a turbo, intake manifold, aem or other stand alone and a significant outlay of time, effort and money for tuning... If you are still not done you add the internals and stir...!

I am sure that there are others who will offer a cleaner path and I can tell you that the only thing I know is that I don't know everything. I do know that learning how to drive your evo is the best investment you can make.

BTW, If you somehow get to big numbers and learn to drive, you will find really need an extra 4k for the big brake kit and 2k for your suspension...
The point is to map out things logically and don't believe everything you read on evom...

As a final thought, you might want to start saving now that $1800 or so for the new clutch and flywheel you will need after you finish giving your car all that power.

my 2 cents

IS2000
02-11-2004, 03:31 PM
To get that much power for a reliable street car. You'll be spending over $20K for the drivetrain alone. I'd suggest buy a JDM built motor/ ECU and shipped it over here. At least you'll have a spare motor if anything breaks down.

Takashi
02-11-2004, 03:34 PM
that's more like 200cents! but a good 200 :D

BOVBILLY
02-11-2004, 03:35 PM
I agree. YOUR DRIVETRAIN WILL SNAP!

Anonymous
02-11-2004, 04:36 PM
hmm, i like how gt40 gave the info, im going to listen to his words since he has experience with this. thanks mark!

perversity
02-11-2004, 07:15 PM
Mark's words of wisdom ring true. Decide what you want to do with the car; drag race, road race, rally x, street race etc.
Then decided on what's important, handling, acceleration, braking, torque or high end power etc. Having made those decisions talk to LOCAL shops about their suggestions to achieve your goals. They may have some better ideas for you any way. once you have done all that research then start spending your money.

moogle
02-20-2004, 06:59 PM

5-6k gotta be joking malibu. I understand the 4g63 engine is cheap to get hp compare to other engine but 5-6k cannot get u 600hp, but I MAY believe u if u got sponsors to back u up and U spent only 5-6k. A stage that cost 5-6k for 600hp+ is w/a doubt just advertisements.